Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Risk assessments and method statements

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Been asked to decommission a 10 ton machine, get it loaded onto a lorry and recommission it 70 miles away from where it's sited.
The company hasn't done a risk assessment or method statement for these works.
Anyone know the legal requirements for this before I say no to this job?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I don't suppose you can wait till Brexit completes, as apparently we then wont have to worry about all this health and safety rubbish?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Been asked to decommission a 10 ton machine, get it loaded onto a lorry and recommission it 70 miles away from where it's sited.
The company hasn't done a risk assessment or method statement for these works.
Anyone know the legal requirements for this before I say no to this job?

It's only when something goes wrong that you realise you should have had a risk assessment. When you say "company", I assume you work for a reasonably sized outfit? I would say that you definitely should have a risk assessment. Have you a Safety Rep to ask?
You should have a trained risk assessor to assess the risks in all tasks with an element of danger. The first thing asked for at a H&SE inquiry is the risk assessment.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Normally these are only done when there could be a risk of injury to the public. Have to do them when dealing with Network Rail.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
It's only when something goes wrong that you realise you should have had a risk assessment. When you say "company", I assume you work for a reasonably sized outfit? I would say that you definitely should have a risk assessment. Have you a Safety Rep to ask?
You should have a trained risk assessor to assess the risks in all tasks with an element of danger. The first thing asked for at a H&SE inquiry is the risk assessment.

Only a small outfit about 40 staff in total with 7 engineers. They're always doing stuff on the cheap and without proper care or attention. There's no safety rep

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Normally these are only done when there could be a risk of injury to the public. Have to do them when dealing with Network Rail.

Not just the public - employees and visitors as well. Many of my customers want them from BT when they install new circuits.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Not just the public - employees and visitors as well. Many of my customers want them from BT when they install new circuits.

A couple of years ago, property was also added to the list of who/what could be at risk.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Only a small outfit about 40 staff in total with 7 engineers. They're always doing stuff on the cheap and without proper care or attention. There's no safety rep

At some point, something will go horribly wrong and any savings made by doing things on the cheap will be eaten up in one foul swoop with a fine with the severity dependent on what happened. Then there's the adverse publicity. Who is responsible for the task you mention? You've been asked to do the job, so assume it's you? Therefore, you would need to carry out the risk assessment. Are you able to talk to management to explain your concerns? Your management would obviously take ultimate responsibility for any mishap so it is in their interest to do things properly and legally. I'm sounding like the harbinger of doom, but having been involved in H&S for a good number of years, I am speaking from experience. You have done exactly right in realising the necessity for a risk assessment, but that's not enough unfortunately.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
legally, id have thought you have to do any health and safety assessment of work you are doing. anything else would be a matter for insurance and not legal requirement.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
At some point, something will go horribly wrong and any savings made by doing things on the cheap will be eaten up in one foul swoop with a fine with the severity dependent on what happened. Who is responsible for the task you mention? You've been asked to do the job, so assume it's you? Therefore, you would need to carry out the risk assessment. Are you able to talk to management to explain your concerns? Your management would obviously take ultimate responsibility for any mishap so it is in their interest to do things properly and legally.

I do risk assessments for our floor layers that work on site, pain in the arse but at least you know if something goes wrong your covered. If the company are doing stuff on the cheap and avoiding crucial paperwork it will come back on you if you have to make the call. Best bet is pass your concerns up to management in an email and copy yourself in privately (I do this personal email address) so if they tell you to go ahead and it does go Pete Tong its there in black and white.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I do risk assessments for our floor layers that work on site, pain in the arse but at least you know if something goes wrong your covered./QUOTE]

That's not actually the point of RA. I'm well aware that it may be how RA is perceived by many people!

I know that fella, but his question was kinda should he go ahead without one and I was advising pass that upstairs and cover yourself. My boss was similar but has got his act together now.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I used to drum in to my staff that "The point of a risk assessment is to show that you've thought of all of the hazards, and have identified how to reduce the risks involved to an acceptable level or to eliminate risk altogether in order to ensure that as far as is reasonably practicable, everyone goes home in one piece. A bi-product of this is that you've covered your backside."

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I am NEBOSH trained, my honest suggestion is you use Google or go on the .gov H&S site, you WILL without doubt need things in place and it is important you have everything in place, in many cases, via something like Google you will find some generic H&S information that will possibly be suitable.

Good Luck...... :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here