Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whining dog next door - advice please

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
When we got back from holiday in mid August, our neighbours had got a puppy. It looks like some king of pedigree dog - dark grey short fur. Its occasionally allowed into the back garden but most of the time is at home whining its head off. I'm not too inclined to speak to the neighbours about it as we are having issues with them anyway and the dominant male of the household has a horrible temper, although the woman and her 3 children seem fine.
Any advice please? Is it normal for a dog to whine and yelp all the time? Should it be going out for walks?

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It should not whine all the time and if it's more than 12 weeks old it should be taken for walks. Talk to the RSPCA.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Depends how old it is, probably missing it's mum. The more the family make a fuss over it should calm it down in time. No expert though.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
3aea8afe2791106284220340b043ea0c.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bloody cruel to leave a dog on it's own at home all day, if that's what's happening, IMO, no surprise it spends so much time whining. Bar asking your neighbours to let you look after it during the day I think you're stuffed :down:

I am assuming the dog is being left and not just whining all day even with company?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
When we got back from holiday in mid August, our neighbours had got a puppy. It looks like some king of pedigree dog - dark grey short fur. Its occasionally allowed into the back garden but most of the time is at home whining its head off. I'm not too inclined to speak to the neighbours about it as we are having issues with them anyway and the dominant male of the household has a horrible temper, although the woman and her 3 children seem fine.
Any advice please? Is it normal for a dog to whine and yelp all the time? Should it be going out for walks?

Shoot neighbours and if that doesn't work move :moo:

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Being a new dog owner :) I was suprised to learn that you should only exercise a dog under 12 months (i.e take for a walk) for a period of 5 minutes for every month of age per day - so my Pupper is 5 months so she gets 25 minutes.

Doesn't help OP though so I suggest you either talk to them, learn to live with it or If you have any real fear of mistreatment contact the RSPCA.

D

Deleted member 2719

If you make a fuss it gives the dog the impression that you were stressed when you are separated,ignore the dog for the first 5 minutes after coming home.

Our neighbours ignores their dog when they get home and we have to put up with it yelping for 20 mins.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you make a fuss it gives the dog the impression that you were stressed when you are separated,ignore the dog for the first 5 minutes after coming home.
Ah where do you stand on, bursting in through the front door singing:-

'put your paws up for Brighton'

After yet another Albion victory.

Being a new dog owner :) I was suprised to learn that you should only exercise a dog under 12 months (i.e take for a walk) for a period of 5 minutes for every month of age per day - so my Pupper is 5 months so she gets 25 minutes.

Doesn't help OP though so I suggest you either talk to them, learn to live with it or If you have any real fear of mistreatment contact the RSPCA.

or offer to keep the dog company,might stop you both whinning:facepalm:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

https://www.gov.uk/browse/housing-local-services/noise-neighbours

Separation anxiety.

My boss had this problem with his pedigree Weimaraner, was advised to get a mongrel to keep it company.

He now has two dogs who whine and yelp every time he leaves the house.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here