Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kelvin MacKenzie cleared of breaking IPSO code

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
MacKenzie was, as per usual, talking out of his fat arse & IPSO have bottled it.

However, you would have like to think the readers of The Sun would enforce a rethink on MacKenzie's continued employment post-Hillsborough tribunal. They don't. And even if they did, there'd be some other dead eyed buffoon prepared to do exactly what Mackenzie does.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Doesn't fellow Sun columnist Trevor Kavanagh sit on the board of this so-called regulator IPSO?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Maajid Nawaz, founder of Quillam, nails it.

CvM6fNWXYAAGf_i.jpg:large

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
MacKenzie was, as per usual, talking out of his fat arse & IPSO have bottled it.

However, you would have like to think the readers of The Sun would enforce a rethink on MacKenzie's continued employment post-Hillsborough tribunal. They don't. And even if they did, there'd be some other dead eyed buffoon prepared to do exactly what Mackenzie does.

Edit: deleted post as life is too short to get into the question of the modern left sticking up for conservative religions. I will resist the temptation of trying to understand next time ???

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Two points:
1. RE point 2 from Quillam. Presumably those who are in favour of this are in favour of strict enforcement of 'laicity', i.e. no religious symbolism in the public sphere. This is French policy, whereas British 'liberalism' is not as prescriptive about what can -- or, more precisely, cannot -- take place in the public sphere. This, of course, presupposes that C4 News is part of the public sphere. This particular suggestion from Quillam is fundamentally against British liberal values.
2. In contrast to the previous post, much of the modern left had a distinctive view about what to do with conservative religions. For more extreme examples, see Pol Pot and the Bolsheviks, but even the milder variants thought that religion was either irrational or against the course of history.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Two points:
1. RE point 2 from Quillam. Presumably those who are in favour of this are in favour of strict enforcement of 'laicity', i.e. no religious symbolism in the public sphere. This is French policy, whereas British 'liberalism' is not as prescriptive about what can -- or, more precisely, cannot -- take place in the public sphere. This, of course, presupposes that C4 News is part of the public sphere. This particular suggestion from Quillam is fundamentally against British liberal values.
2. In contrast to the previous post, much of the modern left had a distinctive view about what to do with conservative religions. For more extreme examples, see Pol Pot and the Bolsheviks, but even the milder variants thought that religion was either irrational or against the course of history.

Yep, 'had'. That's always where I have been on the issue of religion. These days the Left has become the Right though as the modern left are religion's biggest cheerleader. They are quite happy with all the oppression of women and homosexuals. Its a crazy world. Still resisting that temptation (just) :mad:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Yep, 'had'. That's always where I have been on the issue of religion. These days the Left has become the Right though as the modern left are religion's biggest cheerleader. They are quite happy with all the oppression of women and homosexuals. Its a crazy world. Still resisting that temptation (just) :mad:

The left is a broad church.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Two points:

I don't think that suggesting the hijab is a symbol of male oppression is tantamount to a call for a ban of religious symbolism. You can be critical of something without trying to outlaw it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't think that suggesting the hijab is a symbol of male oppression is tantamount to a call for a ban of religious symbolism. You can be critical of something without trying to outlaw it.

On both posts, I'm broadly in agreement. Where we might differ is my view that there's currently a backlash against Muslims, which compromise about 1.5 billion of this world's population. Christians aren't too far behind numerically, and there's fundamentalist variants of that that have caused far more bloodshed and misery than Muslim fundamentalists, but that's not really part of the western narrative. And I don't see too much hostility to it in the mainstream media or British politics, beyond the rather nasty, divisive and simplistic Trot view that's currently penetrating its way into certain reaches of the Labour Party. I'm not entirely convinced by Quillam's motives, but don't know enough about them to say anything further. What I can say is that second point was ill-conceived, and much of Fatima Manji's grievances are entirely legitimate. But, then again, I think C4 News is as good a media outlet that there is over here, whereas my view of The Sun is somewhat different.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
On both posts, I'm broadly in agreement. Where we might differ is my view that there's currently a backlash against Muslims, which compromise about 1.5 billion of this world's population. Christians aren't too far behind numerically, and there's fundamentalist variants of that that have caused far more bloodshed and misery than Muslim fundamentalists, but that's not really part of the western narrative. And I don't see too much hostility to it in the mainstream media or British politics, beyond the rather nasty, divisive and simplistic Trot view that's currently penetrating its way into certain reaches of the Labour Party. I'm not entirely convinced by Quillam's motives, but don't know enough about them to say anything further. What I can say is that second point was ill-conceived, and much of Fatima Manji's grievances are entirely legitimate. But, then again, I think C4 News is as good a media outlet that there is over here, whereas my view of The Sun is somewhat different.

We don't differ in that view at all. I fully agree that Islamophobia is rampant. Quilliam is anti-Islamist, not anti-Islam.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I don't see much wrong with Quillam's second point. It is often argued that many Muslim women voluntarily wear the Hijab but this is as much male social conditioning as the legions of American women happy to be put in their place by the likes of Donald Trump. We, as a secular society have a responsibility to break this medieval male imposition even if the current generation of Muslim women object. See the film 'Mona Lisa Smile' for the 1950s American equivalent. I don't think we can have it both ways by promoting freedom for western women and oppression for Muslim women.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Edit: deleted post as life is too short to get into the question of the modern left sticking up for conservative religions. I will resist the temptation of trying to understand next time ???

Yeah, typical Kelvin MacKenzie, sticking up for oppressed minorities. Good on him. Said no one. Ever.

The point that you make is a valid one. My suggestion is that having a reasonable discussion around that point wasn't Kelvin MacKenzie's intention.

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yeah, typical Kelvin MacKenzie, sticking up for oppressed minorities. Good on him. Said no one. Ever.

The point that you make is a valid one. My suggestion is that having a reasonable discussion around that point wasn't Kelvin MacKenzie's intention.

On that we can agree :)
I edited/deleted my original reply to you because upon reflection it was a bit
too sharp in its tone and I didn't want to seem provocative. I suppose I could have simply reworded in a better way but didn't have the time.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
This thread needs to say what all this is actually about:

"With all the major terrorist outrages in the world currently being carried out by Muslims, I think the rest of us are reasonably entitled to have concerns about what is beating in their religious hearts. Who is in the studio representing our fears? Nobody."

It's what we now call 'dog-whistling' - oh yeah, on the face of it, it appears he's just a regular guy saying what we all think, I mean he even speaks for 'the rest of us', and if a footie forum begins a debate on Hijabs and what they 'really' mean, then job done, he was only saying stuff. But we all know (ok, most of us) what he's really saying... look at the sodding language he uses.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This thread needs to say what all this is actually about:

"With all the major terrorist outrages in the world currently being carried out by Muslims, I think the rest of us are reasonably entitled to have concerns about what is beating in their religious hearts. Who is in the studio representing our fears? Nobody."

It's what we now call 'dog-whistling' - oh yeah, on the face of it, it appears he's just a regular guy saying what we all think, I mean he even speaks for 'the rest of us', and if a footie forum begins a debate on Hijabs and what they 'really' mean, then job done, he was only saying stuff. But we all know (ok, most of us) what he's really saying... look at the sodding language he uses.

It's about a difference of opinion on religion and religious symbolism. I think that the process of freeing human beings from the oppression of social conservatism should continue. Not sure what you mean by the accusation of dog whistling but it sounds like a fancy new way of shutting down debate to re-enforce the dominant position of religious authorities.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Christians are ahead of Muslims. There are 2.2 billion of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here