Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone DND Help

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
As NSC can offer such great advice as to how to wipe your bum correctly right through to sensitive marital problems I thought I'd try this one on you.

My iPhone, in settings and DO NOT DISTURB I have two options which are

Silence (Always or Only while iPhone is locked)

This is stupid, as I'm missing calls because my iPhone is locked.

Anyone else have this missing calls issue?

No, BTW, I can't leave my iPhone unlocked otherwise people will post amusing messages on Facebook etc!

HELP!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
As NSC can offer such great advice as to how to wipe your bum correctly right through to sensitive marital problems I thought I'd try this one on you.

No, BTW, I can't leave my iPhone unlocked otherwise people will post amusing messages on Facebook etc!

HELP!

You could take your iPhone, wipe your bum with it, hand it to your wife, therefore causing more marital problems, and then have her throw that iPhone down the loo. That seems appropriate for that piece of crap iPhone.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

HELP!

Get a Sony.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

HELP!

The Always / Only while Phone is locked option only come into play if you activate Do Not Disturb mode. So, if you haven't, and don't have a little moon at the top of your phone, that switch is not doing anything.

So...

1. Is the mute switch - above the volume buttons on the left hand side - set on?
2. Do you just have the volume turned all the way down? (Unlock the phone and press volume up repeatedly to set the ringer volume to the required level)
3. Do you have some sort of bizarre silent ring tone enabled? (check in Settings > Sound > Ringtone)

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Just turn DND off when you want calls to come through. Drag up the menu from the bottom of the screen and press the moon symbol.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Was thinking the same. I have my DND on my phone to come on at 11pm and off at 6am apart from certain contacts. Works perfectly well.

I didn't realise that it was a user-programmable feature - thanks! I'll set up something similar on mine. :)

Edit: marginally irritating that you have to manually select each individual number/method of communication that you want to allow to get through DND for each person. I've had to set up my gf 6 times! It would be easier to just say that "Scarlett Johannson" can contact me at any time irrespective of whether she calls me from her mobile, landline, or wherever...

Last edited:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Just turn DND off when you want calls to come through. Drag up the menu from the bottom of the screen and press the moon symbol.
This one?
bart.jpg

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The Always / Only while Phone is locked option only come into play if you activate Do Not Disturb mode. So, if you haven't, and don't have a little moon at the top of your phone, that switch is not doing anything.

So...

1. Is the mute switch - above the volume buttons on the left hand side - set on?
2. Do you just have the volume turned all the way down? (Unlock the phone and press volume up repeatedly to set the ringer volume to the required level)
3. Do you have some sort of bizarre silent ring tone enabled? (check in Settings > Sound > Ringtone)

Bozza, I appreciate I'm being a bit daft but let me set the scene .... I'm 54 and haven't got a clue how the phone works let alone these dark arts you speak of! :)
The mute switch, is that Settings>Do Not disturb?
Thank you for your help and patience

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If you want to set 'do not disturb', don't you want to miss calls? I thought that was the idea.

No, I want the calls, but the latest update seems to have enabled "DND" that I don't want, my company works 24/7 so I'd rather be contactable at all times

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bozza, I appreciate I'm being a bit daft but let me set the scene .... I'm 54 and haven't got a clue how the phone works let alone these dark arts you speak of! :)

The mute switch is a physical switch on the side of the phone above the volume buttons. Make sure it is switched up, ie towards the screen and not pushed back.

Do this when the phone is unlocked and look at the screen. You should see a bell and the word "Ringer". The bar below this is the current volume setting. Use the volume buttons to turn it up if required.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It's on the outside of the phone, on the left hand side. It's a little sliding switch.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
No, I want the calls, but the latest update seems to have enabled "DND" that I don't want, my company works 24/7 so I'd rather be contactable at all times

Switch it off. Settings > Do Not Disturb > Manual Off, Scheduled Off, Allow calls from everyone.

Also you can switch it on and off by swiping up from the bottom of the screen and toggling the little moon icon.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

If there's not a little crescent moon in the very top right of your phone, by the battery indicator, then DND is not on.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The mute switch is a physical switch on the side of the phone above the volume buttons. Make sure it is switched up, ie towards the screen and not pushed back.

Do this when the phone is unlocked and look at the screen. You should see a bell and the word "Ringer". The bar below this is the current volume setting. Use the volume buttons to turn it up if required.

Ah yes, done that earlier, thank you anyway. Oddly phone is now ringing when people call me but didn't earlier. Have checked the DND at set times thing also, bloody odd!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If there's not a little crescent moon in the very top right of your phone, by the battery indicator, then DND is not on.

Indeed, the moon isn't showing but it wasn't accepting calls, I'd just get the text saying you missed a call from whomever?

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Indeed, the moon isn't showing but it wasn't accepting calls, I'd just get the text saying you missed a call from whomever?

Was there an actual missed call showing in your call register? If not maybe your phone was out of signal range at the time the person tried to call.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here