Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Sprake RIP

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
Sad. Vaguely remember when he managed to throw the ball into his own net, difficult to lose the stigma, sticks like sh!t!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That's a bit of sad news - always think of the day that Gary Sprake punched Bobby Gould's lights out - from the days when you only got a finger wagging and a "yellow card" for such things. Always capable of a howler but a real Leeds legend - and 60's / 70's icon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsni_46VDGY

Remarkable in this day and age, Sprake only got booked, and Gould despite being laid out by the punch was booked too!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sad. Vaguely remember when he managed to throw the ball into his own net, difficult to lose the stigma, sticks like sh!t!

[yt]IiltwZbukRE[/yt]

Will always be remembered for that but was a decent goalie

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
[yt]IiltwZbukRE[/yt]

Will always be remembered for that but was a decent goalie

Very true, it's like the old joke...

A backpacker is traveling through Ireland when it starts to rain. He decides to wait out the storm in a nearby pub. The only other person at the bar is an older man staring at his drink. After a few moments of silence the man turns to the backpacker and says in a thick Irish accent:

"Ye see this bar? I built this bar with my own bare hands. I cut down every tree and made the lumber myself. I toiled away through the wind and cold, but do they call me O'Brien the bar builder? No they don't."

He goes on "Do ye see that stone wall out there? I built that wall with me own bare hands. I found every stone and placed them just right through the rain and the mud, but do they call me O'Brien he wall builder? No they don't."

"And Do ye see that pier out there on the lake? I built that pier with me own bare hands, driving each piling deep into ground so that it would last a lifetime. So do they call me O'Brien the pier builder? No they don't."

"But ye shag one single goat'..."'

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
That's a bit of sad news - always think of the day that Gary Sprake punched Bobby Gould's lights out - from the days when you only got a finger wagging and a "yellow card" for such things. Always capable of a howler but a real Leeds legend - and 60's / 70's icon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsni_46VDGY

Cracking punch, Billy Bremner came up to congratulate him :smile:
Did Gould back kick Gary Sprake to make him retaliate?

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Very sad, grew up watching that great Leeds team and he was an important member of that side. Although my most vivid memory is of him throwing the ball in his own net!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Very sad, grew up watching that great Leeds team and he was an important member of that side. Although my most vivid memory is of him throwing the ball in his own net!

Same here. a good keeper who was unfortunate to be about in the same era, as Banks, Jennings, Bonnetti etc

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Dirty Leeds

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
RIP Gary Sprake, another name from my younger days sadly gone. Also didn't see a thread on here last week about the passing of another player of that era, Gerry Gow.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

.....and the Kop at Anfield spontaneously bursting into a chorus of "Careless Hands." Iconic moment for which he'll always be remembered.

Decent - more than decent - GK though. RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here