Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where does Hughton rank for you?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
1. Alan Mullery for taking us to Div 1
2. Billy Lane our first ever promotion
3. Gus Poyet who got us promotion and changed our outlook and philosophy
4. CH who is a nearly man and has nearly got us promoted and when he does he will move up the list.
5 Micky Adams who spoilt his record by his 2nd stint.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Top 5, although I would hate to put an order of 1st to 5th. Mullery did the dream, Melia did the other dream (but relegation), Gus was so close and a.n.other from the past.
But if he does it this season then top two ahead of Gus.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Attachments

• 09e61dbe2feca5fb37f494e8159ccc3b.jpg
    09e61dbe2feca5fb37f494e8159ccc3b.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 309

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'd argue that Poyet was the most influential manager we've ever had. He changed the whole culture of the club and the way we play.

Shame it all ended in tears but that was always likely to happen.

so true he made us realize we werent just a little club going nowhere and we have gone on from there just the 1 step to take under CH.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Chris Hughton is the first proper manager of the Amex era. The first to understand what it takes to get out of this division. Poyet never did, and OG and SH hadn't the slightest clue.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Chris Hughton is the first proper manager of the Amex era. The first to understand what it takes to get out of this division. Poyet never did, and OG and SH hadn't the slightest clue.

Poyet took us from the relegation zone of League 1, when Slade was sacked into this division. We went into the Amex as a Championship club, which laid the foundation for what we have now.

D

Deleted member 2719

Can't rate him until he has hit his target, but this suggests he has had more matches with us than any other club.

Attachments

• 2016-10-19.png
    2016-10-19.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 235

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Poyet took us from the relegation zone of League 1, when Slade was sacked into this division. We went into the Amex as a Championship club, which laid the foundation for what we have now.

Poyet was the first manager with the purse-strings loosened. As far as I'm concerned his main achievement was to teach people like Tommy Elphick and Adam El-Abd to play the ball on the ground. Which, fair enough, was a major achievement. It was painful to watch, like teaching toddlers to walk. Unfortunately, that led to them doing nothing but passing the the ball sideways to each other, before a final pass back to Ankergren who would hoof the ball aimlessly up the pitch - in much the same way as Tommy and Adam used to do. For me, Poyet was all about pointless possession play, as if that were an end in itself. Many mistook it for beautiful football. which it was, but only to the needy who had been forced to endure the horrible stuff served up in previous seasons, for economic reasons. The one single thing that marked Poyet down as a fraud for me was when, whenever we got a penalty at Withdean, he'd go and stand with his back to the field of play, mug to the crowd, and therefore not learn anything in real time. It was always all about him.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Poyet was the first manager with the purse-strings loosened. As far as I'm concerned his main achievement was to teach people like Tommy Elphick and Adam El-Abd to play the ball on the ground. Which, fair enough, was a major achievement. It was painful to watch, like teaching toddlers to walk. Unfortunately, that led to them doing nothing but passing the the ball sideways to each other, before a final pass back to Ankergren who would hoof the ball aimlessly up the pitch - in much the same way as Tommy and Adam used to do. For me, Poyet was all about pointless possession play, as if that were an end in itself. Many mistook it for beautiful football. which it was, but only to the needy who had been forced to endure the horrible stuff served up in previous seasons, for economic reasons. The one single thing that marked Poyet down as a fraud for me was when, whenever we got a penalty at Withdean, he'd go and stand with his back to the field of play, mug to the crowd, and therefore not learn anything in real time. It was always all about him.

Predictable from you.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

His wasn't the sort of football that gave me a real football entertainment feeling. Occassionally we would see some good games but more often than not we would struggle to get a couple of shots off in a game. Overall it was dull and it required patience and hope.

We want to see industrious football played with intent but we would rarely see a pass to his most expensive signing Mackerel Smith, and letting Murray go was probably the worst footballing decision in the history of the club.

Hughton's football has reminded me of why I liked football in the first place. Poyet almost put me off it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here