Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just a thought

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In The Argus today CH said it would be difficult to bring in a striker in January so what about tackling the problem in another way and bring in somebody like Teddy Sheringham as a striker coach to work with what we have.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
We still only have 3 strikers...

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Unless one gets injured or suspended in which case we would be down to 2 and really struggling

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
In The Argus today CH said it would be difficult to bring in a striker in January so what about tackling the problem in another way and bring in somebody like Teddy Sheringham as a striker coach to work with what we have.

Another way would be to ensure we don't concede.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Have you forgotten Manu? Who knows what a striker coach could get out of him

We would be better off sitting him down in front of a blackboard and illustrate to him the principles off the Offside rule !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We would be better off sitting him down in front of a blackboard and illustrate to him the principles off the Offside rule !

I wouldnt lay the blame totally at his feet as I believe that his speed catches out a lot of the linos who think he must be offside to react that quickly and they are incompetent. I once read a report by a USA University (who else) that a very high % of offside decisions were wrong either given or not and should have as the eeyecannot pick up the moment quick enough simultaneously I am sure it was something like 80%.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wouldnt lay the blame totally at his feet as I believe that his speed catches out a lot of the linos who think he must be offside to react that quickly and they are incompetent. I once read a report by a USA University (who else) that a very high % of offside decisions were wrong either given or not and should have as the eeyecannot pick up the moment quick enough simultaneously I am sure it was something like 80%.

There is absolutely no way 80% of offside decisions are wrong, that's a ridiculous assertion.

I know we all see a few iffy ones and a few howlers, but by and large I'd say they easily get about 90% + of them correct.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The USA University did the survey using games at all levels and in all countries and I can not remember the actual % but it was very high with the majority being ones that were missed and should have been given.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

He is saying that in order to ensure our expectations can be managed. I'm sure we will bring in a striker in January. And don't forget we do have Elvis.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The USA University did the survey using games at all levels and in all countries and I can not remember the actual % but it was very high with the majority being ones that were missed and should have been given.

:rotlf:

According to one study that looked at assistant referees’ performance during the FIFA World Cup 2002 and 2006, there was an error percentage of approximately 26% and 7.6%, respectively. Interestingly, the significantly lower error rate of 7.6% for the FIFA World Cup 2006 might be attributable to overly restrictive definition of what constituted an inaccurate call. The study counted as an error those decisions where the attacker was either 2 meters in front or behind the second-last defender. Presumably, anything in between was too close to call and was not counted as a bad call. In another study, published in Journal of Sports Sciences in March 2010, it was reported that assistant referees were accurate in their offside decision-making 82.5% of the time. That means that 17.5% of decisions were incorrect. Moreover, a study of the highest Dutch football league in 2005 revealed an error rate of approximately 20%. Finally, in a study looking at the performance of Belgian and FIFA assistant referees using computer animations, it was determined that FIFA assistant referees were 72.9% accurate or 27.1% inaccurate and that their Belgian counterparts were 63.2% accurate or 36.8% inaccurate.

These 20% error rates seem a bit high to us. Mistakes do happen and they are part of the game. But these 20% error rates just do not conform to our own personal experiences. Let us know what you think. Are assistant referees making these many mistakes?

http://soccerrefereeusa.com/index.p...es-make-too-many-inaccurate-offside-decisions

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
:rotlf:

According to one study that looked at assistant referees’ performance during the FIFA World Cup 2002 and 2006, there was an error percentage of approximately 26% and 7.6%, respectively. Interestingly, the significantly lower error rate of 7.6% for the FIFA World Cup 2006 might be attributable to overly restrictive definition of what constituted an inaccurate call. The study counted as an error those decisions where the attacker was either 2 meters in front or behind the second-last defender. Presumably, anything in between was too close to call and was not counted as a bad call. In another study, published in Journal of Sports Sciences in March 2010, it was reported that assistant referees were accurate in their offside decision-making 82.5% of the time. That means that 17.5% of decisions were incorrect. Moreover, a study of the highest Dutch football league in 2005 revealed an error rate of approximately 20%. Finally, in a study looking at the performance of Belgian and FIFA assistant referees using computer animations, it was determined that FIFA assistant referees were 72.9% accurate or 27.1% inaccurate and that their Belgian counterparts were 63.2% accurate or 36.8% inaccurate.

These 20% error rates seem a bit high to us. Mistakes do happen and they are part of the game. But these 20% error rates just do not conform to our own personal experiences. Let us know what you think. Are assistant referees making these many mistakes?

http://soccerrefereeusa.com/index.p...es-make-too-many-inaccurate-offside-decisions

Perhaps I got my % wrong and it wasnt as high as I thought or said. but surely anything over 10% is too many when it appears to be quite a simple task and the majority dont do much else as they signal the throw the way the ref does as with corners and goal kicks.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He is saying that in order to ensure our expectations can be managed. I'm sure we will bring in a striker in January. And don't forget we do have Elvis.
'Managing expectations' has made me think we are doomed to fail again this season. Why can we not have some optimistic expectations, or are we now in a downward spiral ? ???

Far better to keep quiet about not getting a striker in, so we can at least stay positive before the window opens.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here