Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elevation required ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am on Windows 10 and received an e mail and attachment that said 'Elevation Required' I googled it but it didnt seem to relate to windows 10 as the tabs they suggested I couldnt find. What should I do to remedy this message please?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am on Windows 10 and received an e mail and attachment that said 'Elevation Required' I googled it but it didnt seem to relate to windows 10 as the tabs they suggested I couldnt find. What should I do to remedy this message please?

Delete it, it's probably spam. What email address has it come from ? (Hover your cursor (the pointy arrow thing) over the sender's name to find out)

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Its a virus. Its looking for permission to run as an admin to screw your system up.

Don't open attachments from people you don't know!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know it is a genuine e mail that I was expecting. Last week I went to shut down and Windows did an automatic update which deleted a lot of unused items even my printer which I hadnt used for some time on this laptop. I got rid of my tower pc some time ago and bought a 2nd laptop which I leave connected in the bedroom for printing etc as I did my tower but takes up less space.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

I think it just means your laptop needs to be a little higher. Try putting a book underneath it, that should do it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I know it is a genuine e mail that I was expecting. Last week I went to shut down and Windows did an automatic update which deleted a lot of unused items even my printer which I hadnt used for some time on this laptop. I got rid of my tower pc some time ago and bought a 2nd laptop which I leave connected in the bedroom for printing etc as I did my tower but takes up less space.

'Printing etc' is a new euphemism to me. Would fool the wife, I guess.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
'Printing etc' is a new euphemism to me. Would fool the wife, I guess.

I dont need to fool my wife on anything. I assumed it means that the security rating and user must be updated but I dont know how to do it and google didnt help much either so back to good old NSC.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
An executionable file (.exe) should NEVER be opened, whether you trust the sender or not! I wouldn't even open one if I ran a scan over it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think it just means your laptop needs to be a little higher. Try putting a book underneath it, that should do it.

:lolol:

This reminds me of when we used to have an Amstrad. The tape drive worked much better if you put it on a higher shelf.

Last edited:

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
It will have a .exe extension on the end. There could be various reasons, the wrong file has been attached, their system has been infected etc.

Better to be safe than sorry and dont open it.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
What is and how would I know an executable file? Why would a leisure centre send such a file that I shouldnt open?
Just as a rule of thumb if it's got an .exe extension then delete at speed, regardless of whoever the sender appears to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here