Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skinhead

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well worth watching. Particularly when the Oi boys got a good sending off by the Southall Boys.

"We never thought they would mind us shouting racial abuse down the High Street and daubing the windows with NF graffiti"

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Stumbled across this on Saturday night after a red wine or two. Great programme, really enjoyed it. Worth watching on catch-up, even it's not your thing (it's not mine)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I need to watch the first half of it on catch up as I only switched over when they were taking about oi. I don't mind that music but it and it's associated 'politics' are about as far away from the original skinheads as you can get. I never was a skinhead as didn't see the point of the uniform but I loved the original ska music from Jamaica and the adaptations/revival here in 1979ish and 1989ish. Went to see a lot of bands around London including the festivals at the Finsbury Park Tavern and Shoreditch Town Hall . It's black music, simple tunes, non aggressive. Oi and rap are about as far away as you can get. I only mention rap as it seemed to kill off ska for good. I don't think many kids, black or white, listen to Desmond Dekker or Laurel Aitken anymore, which is a shame.

Jan 30, 2008
Proper youth culture, Railway bell was the place if you were in to the scene, you got to admire the old skool for sticking to their guns though.
regards
DR

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Proper youth culture, Railway bell was the place if you were in to the scene, you got to admire the old skool for sticking to their guns though.
regards
DR
Railway bell **** me you must have joined in once it was a fashion thing

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I need to watch the first half of it on catch up as I only switched over when they were taking about oi. I don't mind that music but it and it's associated 'politics' are about as far away from the original skinheads as you can get. I never was a skinhead as didn't see the point of the uniform but I loved the original ska music from Jamaica and the adaptations/revival here in 1979ish and 1989ish. Went to see a lot of bands around London including the festivals at the Finsbury Park Tavern and Shoreditch Town Hall . It's black music, simple tunes, non aggressive. Oi and rap are about as far away as you can get. I only mention rap as it seemed to kill off ska for good. I don't think many kids, black or white, listen to Desmond Dekker or Laurel Aitken anymore, which is a shame.

Oi! was a pure fabrication, manufactured solely by Garry Bushell as a laugh to give his shitferbrains mates down the pub some easy beer money. Only Sounds (pretended to) take it seriously or give it any kind of coverage. NME and Melody Maker never touched it with a barge pole except to quite correctly sneer at it. Ever get the feeling you've been HAD?

Jan 30, 2008
Oi! was a pure fabrication, manufactured solely by Garry Bushell as a laugh to give his shitferbrains mates down the pub some easy beer money. Only Sounds (pretended to) take it seriously. NME and Melody Maker never touched it with a barge pole except to quite correctly sneer at it. Ever get the feeling you've been HAD?
He's an honest lad guv
regards
DR

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Oi! was a pure fabrication, manufactured solely by Garry Bushell as a laugh to give his shitferbrains mates down the pub some easy beer money. Only Sounds (pretended to) take it seriously or give it any kind of coverage. NME and Melody Maker never touched it with a barge pole except to quite correctly sneer at it. Ever get the feeling you've been HAD?

agreed, recall a few rumbles with skinheads and the wreckin crew taking out skrewdriver security at one gig... The meteors had a strict no politics theme at the time and would not tolerate nazi's at their gigs.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
i didn't live in BRIGHTON, i heard that was a place where lot's met up, where were you ?
regards
DR
Me and
Jimmy were the two that started drinking in the bell before that buccaneer the fortune of war and anywhere else that would let us in
The basement for a club the alambra inn place

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It was a good programme, nice to see genuine grass roots culture rather than something manufactured to be sold to the masses. Not sure there are that many around still.

Talking of Oi and Skrewdriver security this is a fascinating article about Nicky Crane who was head it (ans secretly gay):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25142557

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
agreed, recall a few rumbles with skinheads and the wreckin crew taking out skrewdriver security at one gig... The meteors had a strict no politics theme at the time and would not tolerate nazi's at their gigs.

Saw WAY too many punk gigs wrecked by the arrival of the low-IQ NF boot boys. It was like letting loose a pack of pit bulls on the audience. They even turned on Jimmy Pursey in the end. At which point he finally washed his hands of them and buggered off to the US.

Jan 30, 2008
Me and
Jimmy were the two that started drinking in the bell before that buccaneer the fortune of war and anywhere else that would let us in
The basement for a club the alambra inn place
i probably know your face
regards
DR

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Saw WAY too many punk gigs wrecked by the arrival of the low-IQ NF boot boys. It was like letting loose a pack of pit bulls on the audience. They even turned on Jimmy Pursey in the end. At which point he finally washed his hands of them and buggered off to the US.
Pursey thought he was better than he was He thought he was going to be a big star soon came back though didn't he

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here