Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray then and now

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
WTF happened?

This is not a thread moaning about missing the peak years of his career to them.

I remember at Withdean a shy, classy player who eas tricky, strong with back to goal and brilliant in the air playing up the middle. He was, however, quite slow and not especially mobile. He seemed sulky meaning a sizeable portion didn't warm to him at all.

We now have a player who is everywhere and even shows a turn of pace. He mow seems to be doing all the media interviews, loves celebrating with the crowds and is banging them in. It's infuriating watching him out wide always wanting the ball. He's 33 but you wouldn't know it. And he's becoming (dare i say it) a fans favourite.

I know he has a new knee but i assumed his success at Palace was down to the service of Zaha and Bolasie. Yet clearly he's totally evolved his game.

Excellent player.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
He looked class from his debut for us when he banged in 2 goals. Murray and Forster was arguably our best strikeforce of the Withdean years. Sadly, some fans can only spot power and pace, these were probably the fans calling him crap during his Withdean years. I remember when fans used to say he didn't work hard enough, wasn't quick enough and didn't clap enough. He always had class, but often never had supply. I remember a game against Millwall at home when it was tipping it down and Murray single handily tore them apart. Had we kept hold of him, I'm sure we'd have made it to the Prem.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
He looked class from his debut for us when he banged in 2 goals. Murray and Forster was arguably our best strikeforce of the Withdean years. Sadly, some fans can only spot power and pace, these were probably the fans calling him crap during his Withdean years. I remember when fans used to say he didn't work hard enough, wasn't quick enough and didn't clap enough. He always had class, but often never had supply. I remember a game against Millwall at home when it was tipping it down and Murray single handily tore them apart. Had we kept hold of him, I'm sure we'd have made it to the Prem.
In that game you speak of he only came on after about 20 mins as well I think.

I agree he was class and loved him but could see why he frustrated. A very different player back then. Bizarre.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We arguably missed his best years but he is certainly doing his bit now perhaps trying to impress for us to buy him in the summer or possibly even in January.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It helps fitness levels if you have state of the art training facilities where everything is scientific based. If it works for Bruno at his age and probably in peak fitness of his life, barring injury, there is no reason why Murray couldn't be fitter than he has ever been. He is certainly working very hard on the pitch.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
he is certainly doing his bit now perhaps trying to impress for us to buy him in the summer or possibly even in January.
I don't think it's anything like as cynical. He's pretty professional and likes scoring goals, he lives this way, he never celebrated scoring against us, he probably just wants to do well here.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I don't think it's anything like as cynical. He's pretty professional and likes scoring goals, he lives this way, he never celebrated scoring against us, he probably just wants to do well here.

My view as well.
Glenn was at a party a couple of weeks ago, a mate of mine was there. Glenn was happy to talk to the youngsters and was friendly with others, a nice bloke by all accounts.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Gus Poyets biggest mistake not giving him what he wanted leaving him free to sign for that lot up the road.

Could Murray be the first legend for Brighton AND Palace. Its getting that way.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Hmm I dunno what the handbags was with the guys on the back row of North and the police box gang over Murray on sat, all got a bit sour late on in the game..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
That Millwall game was a few days after the classic Leicester comeback game. The rain came in sideways that day.
Two back to back wins felt like a turnaround in fortunes under Micky Adams MKII.
It wasn't.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What you mean "one in ten glenn"? Or he only scores penalties and he is crap at them. Or maybe even when he broke 20 goals for us in league 1 the backhanded compliment of he should have scored more.

Only turns it on when playing for a contract don't you know :wink:

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
WTF happened?

This is not a thread moaning about missing the peak years of his career to them.

I remember at Withdean a shy, classy player who eas tricky, strong with back to goal and brilliant in the air playing up the middle. He was, however, quite slow and not especially mobile. He seemed sulky meaning a sizeable portion didn't warm to him at all.

We now have a player who is everywhere and even shows a turn of pace. He mow seems to be doing all the media interviews, loves celebrating with the crowds and is banging them in. It's infuriating watching him out wide always wanting the ball. He's 33 but you wouldn't know it. And he's becoming (dare i say it) a fans favourite.

I know he has a new knee but i assumed his success at Palace was down to the service of Zaha and Bolasie. Yet clearly he's totally evolved his game.

Excellent player.

I'm really not being critical but did you miss his last season at withdene ? He was so classy and seemed to be everywhere one moment helping the defence the next leading the line, he was special that season and I couldn't understand how we never pulled out all the stops to keep him especially as he had no real desire to leave but just wanted what he felt he deserved and as it turned out he was right. Short sightedness from all choncerned in that decision.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Has certainly silenced the cynics, can't believe there is anyone left now that does not realise he is our no1 front man by some way

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
WTF happened?

Excellent player.

There were also the red cards, deliberately handling the ball to get sent off (Wycombe?) I think the sulks were due to a hernia operation that had to be done three times before it was cured. He kept being shipped off to Germany for the operations.

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
When he first played for us he was lazy, but still scored & you could tell he had class above league 1 level.

When Poyet came in he really stepped up his work rate & became a better all round player. I wouldn't exactly say he is a CMS in terms of workrate/pressing etc but he does his bit, as all players need to do to play at a decent level.

I think the days are gone when a star player could be indulged, you can't carry anyone anymore when you don't have the ball, due to increased fitness levels nowadays. If Murray hadn't added that to his game he would still be in league 1.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
His Kinesiology Tape on his quads had writing on, looked like he'd been doodling on it. Unless it was a Ninja prayer.[h=1][/h]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here