Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another Tim Cahill THRIKE

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't know why but I've always loved Cahill. A proper punchy, gritty player. I love the fact he was so good in the air for someone so small, plus the number of absolute belters he's scored - that one against the Dutch in South Africa for example. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that with his career windind down...

he returns to Australia after 20 years in Europe (and then the US)
* Joins Melbourne City
* Second game, plays in the local derby
* Does this in front of 43,000:

https://youtu.be/zhGwee8p_UI?t=46

(40 seconds in) Lovely stuff.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"Punchy" is apt ha.

Insanely good in the air for his height. Bridcutt-esque.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I don't know why but I've always loved Cahill. A proper punchy, gritty player. I love the fact he was so good in the air for someone so small, plus the number of absolute belters he's scored - that one against the Dutch in South Africa for example. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that with his career windind down...

he returns to Australia after 20 years in Europe (and then the US)
* Joins Melbourne City
* Second game, plays in the local derby
* Does this in front of 43,000:

https://youtu.be/zhGwee8p_UI?t=46

(40 seconds in) Lovely stuff.

I love a bit of A League but had an early start on the golf course so missed the Saturday games. Cheers for sharing.

The quality isn't great but that normally means there are goals and some horrendous challenges so great if you like a punt on the bookings. On several occasions I've won a few quid on a Saturday or Sunday morning before I've even got out of bed.

Melbourne City will win it this year I expect. The seem to have splashed quite a bit of cash.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Melbourne City will win it this year I expect. The seem to have splashed quite a bit of cash.
Yep, worth a punt. They're trying to become relevant in a city where the "soccer" support really is dominated by Victory (although South Melbourne have decent support in the state division below). A League really is ready to expand now as there are 4 or 5 markets all too eager and absolutely ideal, and support is at an all time high (61,000 turned up for the Sydney derby last week).

Amazing to think that the game barely registered until a decade ago. Now it is bordering on mainstream, principally because it doesn't threaten either Aussie Rules and Rugby League where Joe Public's preference is entrenched based on where they live. Soccer is played in the summer months and can realistically aim to be the number 2 (and therefore unifying) sport in all states.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Not many players would try it from that range...

Good attendances in the A-league so far this season, Western Sydney Wanderers v Sydney FC was 61,900 and this game Melbourne Victory v Melbourne City was 43,000..

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Yep, worth a punt. They're trying to become relevant in a city where the "soccer" support really is dominated by Victory (although South Melbourne have decent support in the state division below). A League really is ready to expand now as there are 4 or 5 markets all too eager and absolutely ideal, and support is at an all time high (61,000 turned up for the Sydney derby last week).

Amazing to think that the game barely registered until a decade ago. Now it is bordering on mainstream, principally because it doesn't threaten either Aussie Rules and Rugby League where Joe Public's preference is entrenched based on where they live. Soccer is played in the summer months and can realistically aim to be the number 2 (and therefore unifying) sport in all states.

You wouldn't think that was the case with the terribly bias media coverage from major news companies trying to make going to football sound as dangerous as a walk down the Gaza Strip..

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You wouldn't think that was the case with the terribly bias media coverage from major news companies trying to make going to football sound as dangerous as a walk down the Gaza Strip..
The media thrives on this sort of bollocks. Ultimately though, nobody really believes it if the attendances are anything to go by.

What I meant is that fans of the NRL and AFL are at each others throats. If you live in Queensland or NSW you tend to follow League, elsewhere it is Aussie rules. However, soccer is in the fortunate position of being the new kid on the block, one that says all the right unthreatening things about the other two codes, one that has more or less aligned it's season with Europe so as not to clash with those codes, and one that says "if we want to be relevant at the biggest single-sport stage in the world, we need a league of our own". Consequently, with a half decent standard and sensible expansion, the A League continues to grow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here