Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can clubs bring a prospective loanee in early for training?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hypothetically speaking.

Club A has an unused striker they couldn't offload/loan out in the Summer.
Club B wants said striker.

Striker hasn't played all season.

Clubs A & B finally make the deal, so it's ready for finalizing at the start of January.

Club A now definitely doesn't want the striker around.
Club B would like to get him up to speed, so he's nearer match fit for 01.01.17.

As the title asks, can club B bring the striker in the fold, relocate, training etc, early?

Or to put it another way:-

Have we got to wait till March before the glaring hole in the squad in properly filled?

I'm assuming clubs can talk to each other, out of the transfer window timetable.
If not forget the whole thing, and I'm sorry for wasting 45 to 50 seconds of your life.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I would assume footballers are allowed to train wherever they like as long as the club is OK with it.

The only way that could work would be if the player was a trialist and then would be allowed to play in reserve games.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot see a problem bringing him in to train but not sure whether he could play in U23s games but thinking about it that must also be covered by this loan window regulation or Crawley would have played Dean Cox in U23 games rather than loan him out to Burgess Hill

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I would assume footballers are allowed to train wherever they like as long as the club is OK with it.

The only way that could work would be if the player was a trialist and then would be allowed to play in reserve games.
I would have thought it was a requirement for the player to be registered as a player with B&HA to play for us in U23 competitions, so no. Just training would probably be OK, if the clubs agreed it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
registration and transfer of the players only count for playing professional games. train where they like, i gather its not unusual for players to train at local ex-clubs while playing elsewhere

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I cannot see a problem bringing him in to train but not sure whether he could play in U23s games but thinking about it that must also be covered by this loan window regulation or Crawley would have played Dean Cox in U23 games rather than loan him out to Burgess Hill

Do Crawley even have an U23 side?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hypothetically speaking.

Club A has an unused striker they couldn't offload/loan out in the Summer.
Club B wants said striker.

Striker hasn't played all season.

Clubs A & B finally make the deal, so it's ready for finalizing at the start of January.

Club A now definitely doesn't want the striker around.
Club B would like to get him up to speed, so he's nearer match fit for 01.01.17.

As the title asks, can club B bring the striker in the fold, relocate, training etc, early?

Or to put it another way:-

Have we got to wait till March before the glaring hole in the squad in properly filled?

I'm assuming clubs can talk to each other, out of the transfer window timetable.
If not forget the whole thing, and I'm sorry for wasting 45 to 50 seconds of your life.

I wonder if there would be a problem with insurance for the player, as he's not training in the club where his registration is held. Any injury sustained in training could cause complications.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I would have thought it was a requirement for the player to be registered as a player with B&HA to play for us in U23 competitions, so no. Just training would probably be OK, if the clubs agreed it.

Peter Skapetis played in the last two U23 games for us on trial, so there is no requirement to be registered to us, but he is a free agent.

I'm still not sure where the OP is going with this.....

Do Crawley even have an U23 side?

Not according to their website, no fixtures or results for a reserve/U23 squad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Peter Skapetis played in the last two U23 games for us on trial, so there is no requirement to be registered to us, but he is a free agent.

Fair enough. Might not have been possible if he was registered with another club, though?

Didn't we have some sort of pre-signing deal with Towell last season, where it was agreed he would join in January, but was with us, in a non-playing capacity, before that?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I've a vague recollection of Crawley disbanding their youth teams a while back. They may not even have a U23 team ? ???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've a vague recollection of Crawley disbanding their youth teams a while back. They may not even have a U23 team ? ???

that is rather surprising as they have no means of squad players pushing for a 1st team spot other than in training or even when coming back from injury. That would however explain Dean Cox loan to Burgess Hill.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Fair enough. Might not have been possible if he was registered with another club, though?

Didn't we have some sort of pre-signing deal with Towell last season, where it was agreed he would join in January, but was with us, in a non-playing capacity, before that?

Maybe

I assume the Dick Towell thing was because of the timing of the leagues, doesn't the Irish league run through the summer and end in November?! With no games to play he could come here and train.

Seagull2016

Oct 15, 2016
Speaking about loanees, what do you guys think about Rohan Ince? I would like to know your opinion on him: his pro's and cons.

Regards,

Seagull from Belgium

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Probably an obvious answer here, but why have we got to wait until March?

Just thinking through a few possibilities ahead of Jan 2017.

The only realistic one I can see, is the club going back in for one of their 'failed' loan bids, in the Summer.
Thereby potentially picking up a player who hasn't kick a competitive ball since April/May.

Any player 'doing a Dale' might as well stick it out until the Summer.
You'd think any full transfer would be for a player currently holding down a position would equal 'over heated'.
Any player not playing but wants a move might as well be loaned in.

For 01.01.17 to not be too late, then I think any potential Albion striker really needs to hit the ground running.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here