Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Crystal Maze

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Channel 4 at 9pm tonight, celeb special for Stand Up To Cancer.

Stephen Merchant is hosting, although personally I'd have preferred it if the rumours of David Tennant had been true. Apparently Richard O'Brien (or his voice at least) feature somewhere too. Hopefully if it's well received it will precipitate a full revival.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Love merchant

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Josh is so nervous, keegan looking fit as ever

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I still think I'd have preferred David Tennant.

Wouldn't be surprised if it gets a series though - surely they wouldn't have built this whole set for one show?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I still think I'd have preferred David Tennant.

Wouldn't be surprised if it gets a series though - surely they wouldn't have built this whole set for one show?

The set is rented off a corporate entertainment company, I believe.

Merchant needs to camp/weird it up more; Mumsey needs to be actually gin-soaked not pretending to be; and their 'sleb choice is quite poor.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I know one of the guys that got the Crystal Maze up and running again, they got the project going off their own bat as they are huge fans of the original. It has gone through a few incarnations since they started on it about 3 years ago but the intention is to bring it back to TV proper. At the moment I believe it is a sort of corporate/fan experience but plans are in the pipeline to do a TV series if it proves successful.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] has done the new-fangled Crystal Maze thing in London and was also in the TV series back in the day.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
@Goldstone1976 has done the new-fangled Crystal Maze thing in London and was also in the TV series back in the day.

I'm told that the glasses I was wearing in the 90's were quite the thing.

They crowdfunded the new thing in London, raising £900k+ from 7k donations. My gf and I did the opening night. Notwithstanding the opening night gremlins, which were surprisingly few, it was pretty good. It didn't compare with the real thing (how could it?) - the whole thing looked and felt cheaper - from the venue itself to the games to the sets to the dome, but, if you liked the TV show, it's close enough to give you at least a flavour of the real thing. No silver tokens in the Dome though (at least, there weren't on opening night). No ocean zone either - "water is a problem, you see"!

If you didn't do the original, you'll probably give it a 9/10 - at least according to the reviews...

I think they're planning on opening a venue in Manchester.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

They crowdfunded the new thing in London, raising £900k+ from 7k donations. My gf and I did the opening night. Notwithstanding the opening night gremlins, which were surprisingly few, it was pretty good. It didn't compare with the real thing (how could it?) - the whole thing looked and felt cheaper - from the venue itself to the games to the sets to the dome, but, if you liked the TV show, it's close enough to give you at least a flavour of the real thing. No silver tokens in the Dome though (at least, there weren't on opening night).

Which series of the original were you on?

Did you have Richard or Ed as host?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Ed, unfortunately. He was decent enough, but not a patch on Richard.

Still a great thing to do though, I'm sure!

When I was a kid I always wanted to go on Knightmare, but never got the chance. A couple of years ago though, there was a 'Knightmare Live' stage revival which came to the Brighton Comedy Festival and I got picked at random to be the dungeoneer - not 100% childhood wish fulfillment, but as close as I was ever going to get and it was fantastic fun.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Stephen Merchant is hosting, although personally I'd have preferred it if the rumours of David Tennant had been true.
I think (thought) Merchant will be better (although reading the reactions, maybe not). I feel that he could mock someone for being too late and lock them in, but you'd know he didn't really mean it.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
[MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] has done the new-fangled Crystal Maze thing in London and was also in the TV series back in the day.

They crowdfunded the new thing in London, raising £900k+ from 7k donations. My gf and I did the opening night. Notwithstanding the opening night gremlins, which were surprisingly few, it was pretty good. It didn't compare with the real thing (how could it?) - the whole thing looked and felt cheaper - from the venue itself to the games to the sets to the dome, but, if you liked the TV show, it's close enough to give you at least a flavour of the real thing. No silver tokens in the Dome though (at least, there weren't on opening night). No ocean zone either - "water is a problem, you see"!

If you didn't do the original, you'll probably give it a 9/10 - at least according to the reviews...

My mum was on it too. I've got the crystal and some of the gold and silver papers somewhere.

Did you win [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION]? If so what did you choose?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
A bit late to the party but I caught up on this last night.

I thought Marchant was very very good. The bits to camera made me genuinely chuckle. Sure loads are scripted but it then made the off the cuff bits even funnier.

Surprised by the negative comments but each to their own.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here