Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you answer all calls to your mobile or selective?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Following on from another thread, do you answer all call form you mobile or are you selective
I understand there is a growing trend for people to only answer if the number is recognised??
What happen when a family member is involved in an accident and a good samaritan tries to call you on there phone whilst said person lies injured by the roadside,
What happens when a family member loses/gets mugged/has stolen there phone and then they try and call you for help when borrowing a phone off a good samaritan.
What happens if the police try to call you to informed of information about a family member/ friend, maybe they have be involved in accident or need help etc.
I find this action to be very selfish.

I like many many other get probably 10+ call a day telling me I have not claimed PPI, been involved in a accident, got something wrong with my computer etc,
But it don’t stop me answering them, it take 2-3 secs to recognise then and cut them off.
Is this really so much hassle you would risk not being in contact with loved one in the event of an emergency.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
As I said on that thread, if someone really wants to contact me, they'd leave a voicemail, so I would hear what they had to say a few moments later.

I also ignore unknown numbers. I am registered with the TPS, but that doesn't stop my mobile being pestered with criminal scam calls.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
As I said on that thread, if someone really wants to contact me, they'd leave a voicemail, so I would hear what they had to say a few moments later.

I also ignore unknown numbers. I am registered with the TPS, but that doesn't stop my mobile being pestered with criminal scam calls.

Exactly this. Never answer callers I don't know. It's not yet been someone I have wanted to here from and I probably get 2 or 3 calls a day.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I answer all calls and cut off (no or extreme limited) conversation depending on my filter system....ME.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
In reply to the OP, what happens when the police try to contact you by phone, about a loved one in an accident, the answer is they don't. They tend to call in person but quite a long time after the accident.

My other half was involved in a bad accident, and I knew something had happened because he was so late back from work. I made a couple of calls, which didn't bring any explanation, so rang the local hospitals (he had a distance to travel) and found out that he'd been admitted. I drove to the hospital, and our lodger answered the door, when the police finally got to our house to inform me. She told them I had already gone to the hospital to visit him.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What did we do before mobile phones? ???

I very rarely answer mine unless I'm sitting at home and it's next to me, or I'm actually waiting for someone to ring me back.
I have a voicemail on and I check the phone, but it's on silent most of the time as I find it distracting when I'm working.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
In reply to the OP, what happens when the police try to contact you by phone, about a loved one in an accident, the answer is they don't. They tend to call in person but quite a long time after the accident.

My other half was involved in a bad accident, and I knew something had happened because he was so late back from work. I made a couple of calls, which didn't bring any explanation, so rang the local hospitals (he had a distance to travel) and found out that he'd been admitted. I drove to the hospital, and our lodger answered the door, when the police finally got to our house to inform me. She told them I had already gone to the hospital to visit him.

I was informed by the hospital of my mothers passing on my mobile phone.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I have all alerts off so only see texts when I look at phone every now and then. Does mean I sometimes miss out on some choice whatsApp banter.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Sensible and the option that I follow

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I rarely know where my phone is when I'm at home. More often than not it's buried under the Sunday Times supplements or kid's bags and stuff on the kitchen table and generally out of charge. If it's not there - and I really need it - I usually find it in the car.

I don't think I have used it once this weekend.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I rarely get scam on mobile, perhaps one a week......Home phone prob ten a day and emails prob 20 day.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Once you've answered or hung up it recognises you as a real number and they sell your information on to other companies, just let it ring

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Once you've answered or hung up it recognises you as a real number and they sell your information on to other companies, just let it ring

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I can't.........I'm sure many others can't either, for different reasons..........you are totally correct in what you say, I'm sure, my guess is it's impossible to log every number so you know who is calling you?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I look at it a coupe of times a day, it's on silent and living in West Wales there is generally no signal, I am retired so no hassle.

Feathers

Banned
Oct 6, 2016
50 miles from Brighton
My mobile is never far from me and I always answer it, even if I don't recognise the number in case it's important.

If it's someone trying to sell me something, I just say I'm not interested and hang up.

You have to be careful with txt messages though. I recently received one from shortyz.co telling me I had an important picture message. I googled it and found out it's a scam so if in doubt about any messages, don't click on the links.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
As crude as it sounds, I only answer when I can be bothered/ know I need to. I let it go to answer machine. I'll then look at the number and decide if it's one I want to call at that moment. It's just that I have some friends who like to talk and talk and, love them as I do, I just have to be in the right time and space to be prepared for it ! If it is an urgent call folk will leave a message (which I always check as I assume there is good reason for it to be left). Even if my Dad doesn't leave a message he gets a call within about 5 minutes at the most.

Most of the messages I get are via the internet anyway these days.

My landline is permanently on silent and has no answerphone. I hate the landline ringing and most of the time it was that recorded message shite.

Curiously, my Dad called as I was typing this. I answered. Cup of tea at nine 'o' clock.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here