Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Way too negative?

seggers

Nov 10, 2009
Worthing
Anyone else feel Hughtons tactics are way too negative when we have a narrow lead? He always seems to invite pressure onto us when we are comfortable and could easily go on to score more goals.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yeah he does that but his record here is pretty special and these things happen in football...Still been a very good start for a side with a fair few players missing and barely out of first gear :)

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Hughton did that in almost every game in the first half of last season until Rohan Ince's error at Derby which cost us the victory. I'm disappointed in the change made by bringing off a striker for a midfielder but today he didn't really have a choice with Hemed not being available due to a minor niggling injury.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm disappointed in the change made by bringing off a striker for a midfielder but today he didn't really have a choice with Hemed not being available due to a minor niggling injury.

Eh? Can Baldock not last 90 minutes then? Totally unnecessary change as far as I could see.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Although his record of going defensive late in the game, it is always going to back fire occasionally. Personally I would have left it as it was and try for another goal. Unfortunately I am not the manager.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
We've been through all this before and the stats have shown that the extra midfielder has been successful far more often than not to see out the game. I think - especially once they were down to ten men - that we could have kept attacking in this one and it seemed a shift in attitude from the start of the season where we actively wanted to grind teams into the dust following last season's experience. The idea that we are 'way too negative' though is just wrong. He plays the percentages and mostly gets it bang on.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
We've been through all this before and the stats have shown that the extra midfielder has been successful far more often than not to see out the game. I think - especially once they were down to ten men - that we could have kept attacking in this one and it seemed a shift in attitude from the start of the season where we actively wanted to grind teams into the dust following last season's experience. The idea that we are 'way too negative' though is just wrong. He plays the percentages and mostly gets it bang on.

Except today we weren't. I thought it was especially poor based on today's opposition. Majorly frustrating.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
We have three bad habits at home.

We start the game like it's a training session, so lethargic.

We stop attacking and ease off when we go into a lead.

We invite pressure and go too defensive in the closing part of the game.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
The most annoying aspect of the game was they put us under no pressure what so ever , we hit one stray pass 3 mins into injury time which they lumped into the box , Stockdale was like a statue made no attempt to save a soft header and was in the wrong position as well , that's why they equalised nothing to do with negative tactics

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Preston literally created one chance for themselves all game and that was purely a half chance that was only taken because their bloke was stupidly tall!

I do think we should've gone for the jugular today and got the 3rd we deserved but if it wasn't for one moment of madness and Murphy playing a very poor ball out we'd have held on like we usually do tbf.

Much better 2nd half played really well and dominated the game completely. Gutting, but keep the faith. We haven't conceded a sickener like that for some time guys... And often Hughtons tactic of bringing on an extra midfielder works well...

Let's put it right Tues :thumbsup:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
The most annoying aspect of the game was they put us under no pressure what so ever , we hit one stray pass 3 mins into injury time which they lumped into the box , Stockdale was like a statue made no attempt to save a soft header and was in the wrong position as well , that's why they equalised nothing to do with negative tactics

Exactly. Nothing wrong with the tactics, we made basic mistakes under little or no pressure.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Agree with this summary completely. Was stunned at how little pressure they put on our CBs all afternoon. If ever I've seen a team deserve nothing, it was Preston today (& their annoying time-wasting)...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here