Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton pre match pubs

Seagullroyal

Dec 31, 2014
We travel from Eastbourne, so normally have a pre match routine from there.

Decided to try out 'the big city' for a change today.

So, two quick questions:

Where's the best place for breakfast?

Which pubs for the best pre match atmosphere?

Preferably both within staggering distance to the train station 😉

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Are Brighton pubs doing well now the Albion are at Falmer.
Several Hove pubs have closed since the club left the Dear old Goldstone and others have had to change to survive.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Are Brighton pubs doing well now the Albion are at Falmer.
Several Hove pubs have closed since the club left the Dear old Goldstone and others have had to change to survive.

I was surprised to see the Stadium is now a Co-op. I think it was an Italian restaurant before that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We travel from Eastbourne, so normally have a pre match routine from there.

Decided to try out 'the big city' for a change today.

So, two quick questions:

Where's the best place for breakfast?

Which pubs for the best pre match atmosphere?

Preferably both within staggering distance to the train station ��

If you're after a marvelous freshly home-cooked breakfast, you can't go wrong with the Prince of Wales in Churchill Square. The breakfast baguette is ridiculous. Great food.

They always have Sky/BT on in there as well.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My brother and his mates all meet up in Lewes as they say the choice and beer is better than near Brighton station but he agree with my son the one to avoid is the Railway Belle as the beer is awful. Heard good reports of The Swan at Falmer, Makes no difference to me as I dont want a beer before the game.

Warren

Jan 10, 2016
The Bevy Pub
The Bevy does a free bus to every home league game.
Harveys, Goose! and two home made pizzas for a tenner.
49 bus stops right outside and 8 minutes from Moulsecoomb station

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some good suggestions above. We'll be in the Battle of Trafalgar, but Albert, Evening Star, Duke of Wellington all popular and more besides I'm sure.

The Cyclist on the station itself is remarkably good for a station pub. They'll often have a stall outside on a Saturday cooking breakfast baguettes to order.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I would suggest Billie's as the best breakfast option

http://www.billiescafe.co.uk/page3.html

You may have to queue for a short while for a table but it's worth it. Alternatively if you are looking for a cheap / quick option the Wetherspoons on North Street ticks both boxes with a focus on quantity rather than quality.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/east-sussex/the-post--telegraph-brighton

Pubs as recommended above- in order of proximity to the station-

Battle of Trafalgar
Evening Star
Prince Albert
Lord Nelson
Basketmakers

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Some good suggestions above. We'll be in the Battle of Trafalgar,.

......................which is also our pre-match of choice.

But after this thread I fully expect it to be packed today!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
My brother and his mates all meet up in Lewes as they say the choice and beer is better than near Brighton station but he agree with my son the one to avoid is the Railway Belle as the beer is awful. Heard good reports of The Swan at Falmer, Makes no difference to me as I dont want a beer before the game.

The Bell is what you would expect from a solid, hardcore, old school footy boozer. Lager, whatever is trendy right now booze wise, commercial bitter, and passionately loyal to the home team, wish there was more pubs like that in Brighton.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Bell is what you would expect from a solid, hardcore, old school footy boozer. Lager, whatever is trendy right now booze wise, commercial bitter, and passionately loyal to the home team, wish there was more pubs like that in Brighton.

Is correct.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Try the Market Diner in Circus Street -15 minute walk from Brighton Station. Gut Buster is legendary.

Is that still open? I was under the impression that was/has closing down.

Agree on the Gut Buster front, but most things taste nice at 4am after a night out. The reality is it's ****ing awful. :lolol:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Best cafe in town for me, is the Kensington Cafe, on Kensington Gardens. Best Cafe in Brighton is H's cafe, on Coombe road.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Is that still open? I was under the impression that was/has closing down.

Agree on the Gut Buster front, but most things taste nice at 4am after a night out. The reality is it's ****ing awful. :lolol:

Yes it's still open but haven't been there for a few years. I worked temporarily at the fruit market in 1990 and the place was a saviour. I've also done the apres-club visit - awesome. Negotiating those stairs to the toilet without inflicting a life changing injury was a work of art.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here