Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1979 Day on that 6 Music

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
One for the 40/50/60 somethings on here. (i think there must be a couple of us out there).

6 Music is doing a special day playing just things from 1979 as part of a BBC 70s season.
On October 14 1979 I was doing daily duty at Hove Grammar School for Boys just before its reinvention as Blatchington Mill.
I was also about to attend my first ever gig at the Brighton Centre, that up and coming trio;The Police.
Albion had ground out a 0-0 draw with Leeds the day before in Div 1 no less.

Here's the playlist. A good listen. 1979 themed until Iggy Pop / 7pm tonight.

SE_6M_1979_6music_playlist.jpg

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
One for the 40/50/60 somethings on here. (i think there must be a couple of us out there).

6 Music is doing a special day playing just things from 1979 as part of a BBC 70s season.
On October 14 1979 I was doing daily duty at Hove Grammar School for Boys just before its reinvention as Blatchington Mill.
I was also about to attend my first ever gig at the Brighton Centre, that up and coming trio;The Police.
Albion had ground out a 0-0 draw with Leeds the day before in Div 1 no less.

Here's the playlist. A good listen. 1979 themed until Iggy Pop / 7pm tonight.

View attachment 78646

great, I'm at home this afternoon 'til 7 so I'll put it on ...... loved the Slits

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
1979, music's best year in my opinion, the icing on the cake being the release of London Calling by the Clash and the first Pretenders album during its dying days.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
1979, music's best year in my opinion, the icing on the cake being the release of London Calling by the Clash and the first Pretenders album during its dying days.

I'd go 10 years earlier with 1969. 3 of my favourites - Abbey Road, Tommy and Everybody knows this is nowhere.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Some cracking tunes in those 1979 playlists. Also some not so much. Top 3 for me would be:

1. The Damned - Smash It Up
2. The Slits - Typical Girls / Heard It Through The Grapevine
3. U2 - Out Of Control

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Some cracking tunes in those 1979 playlists. Also some not so much. Top 3 for me would be:

3. U2 - Out Of Control

The Damned have never been given the credit they deserve IMO.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Yet again the playlist compilers believe that XTC only ever issued 'Making Plans for Nigel'

But no Elvis Costello, Squeeze, Ian Dury etc

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seen Prince,madness,clash,stranglers,blondie,human league,specials,jam,numan,dammned,xtc,selector,undertones,sue and banshees,lurkers! Good set!:moo:

Brilliant days, best there's ever been! Been on the guest list for most of those in your list. Was in the studio for The Jam's first live appearance on TOTP. Saw Blondie - and The Ramones and the rest - live in the studio on OGWT. Me and bruv's fanzine did big interview with Siouxsie And The Banshees when they were the best unsigned band around. Messed around backstage with The Slits at the Lyceum when we were there to interview The Buzzcocks (courtesy of alan Edwards who went on to be publicist of The Rolling Stones). Think that might have been the same year I got punched in the head by Elvis Costello's manager for no good reason at all. Ah well, all part of being neck-deep in the musical madness of the time. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

3. U2 - Out Of Control

i hate VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR ...... my nephew used to play it over and over and over

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Prince wrote I Want to be Your Lover then. Well, I'll be damned.
Wondering where Joy Division and The Cure are on that playlist.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Why do they have playlists foisted upon them?

Why can't the presenters just play what they want?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here