Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adrian Bevington, ex FA bloke

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
On Alan Brazil's breakfast show this morning, Adrian Bevington, ex Club England MD for the FA, suggested that Gareth Southgate should get the England manager job full time because he is good at handling press conferences. Not because he is a dynamic tactical coaching genius, but because he is great at talking to the media.

No disrespect to him or Southgate, but doesn't this just sum up why England have been so shit for so long, the football has become secondary to the HOT AIR.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's a fair point. I want the England manager (or any manager or player, come to that) to be able to speak about their sport, their team and themselves in a frank and interesting way. For some, clearly that is a struggle.

But it should never be the first criteria, it is an 'as well as being a good coach' rather than 'the No1 on the priority list'.

I can see why the FA want someone safe at the moment, but surely there is some desirable middle ground between Boring Yes Man, and Grubby Money-Grabber.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I do feel that one of the major reasons for the failings of the national side is the negative air that surrounds it. It's a vicious circle.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I can see why the FA want someone safe at the moment, but surely there is some desirable middle ground between Boring Yes Man, and Grubby Money-Grabber.

Take the Belgium FA, on paper they have probably the most talented team in Europe.
They went for Robert Martinez, not up there with the world's top coaches, he in turn he took Thierry Henry as a deputy.
My point is that Belgium took a chance with RM, not exactly a shouter, so in Gareth Southgate, they do not have the greatest tactician, but he's the only one who is shouting to take on the impossible job.
So give him a chance to build something that we all can get behind, even if it not pretty, as long as we win its a start.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
On Alan Brazil's breakfast show this morning, Adrian Bevington, ex Club England MD for the FA, suggested that Gareth Southgate should get the England manager job full time because he is good at handling press conferences. Not because he is a dynamic tactical coaching genius, but because he is great at talking to the media.

No disrespect to him or Southgate, but doesn't this just sum up why England have been so shit for so long, the football has become secondary to the HOT AIR.

I couldn't give a stuff about whether football administrators are good at talking to the media but that is what is demanded by the press. As for the manager, we need to get the best available irrespective of nationality. If Wenger is happy to take on the role when his contract expires at the end of the season then I'd be happy with that. What we don't need is another England manager with skeletons in the cupboard that front page editors are going to latch on to. They did it with Robson, unfairly, and Venables, Hoddle, probably justifiably (they did for themselves with their off field antics) and had Redknapp ever got the job they would have had a field day.

I think it was John Murray on radio 5 before the Slovenia game saying the FA should be positive and make a decision as soon as possible, implying that they should appoint Southgate. I bet he's not so sure now!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Take the Belgium FA, on paper they have probably the most talented team in Europe.
They went for Robert Martinez, not up there with the world's top coaches, he in turn he took Thierry Henry as a deputy.
My point is that Belgium took a chance with RM, not exactly a shouter, so in Gareth Southgate, they do not have the greatest tactician, but he's the only one who is shouting to take on the impossible job.
So give him a chance to build something that we all can get behind, even if it not pretty, as long as we win its a start.

How do you know Southgate is the only one that wants the job? He's achieved nothing of any note. Failed as club manager. The FA have had in charge of the U21s and we've qualified for a tournament but didn't even get out of the group!!!!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Southgate has to be one of the dullest men in football. If being 'good with the media' consists of giving non-controversial, generic statements then yeah, he's brilliant.

The FA will appoint him because he is a yes man through and through; the number one trait required of a potential England manager.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Southgate is what he is - a caretaker and an FA man. What he isn't is a coach capable of taking England right through a tournament.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
How do you know Southgate is the only one that wants the job? He's achieved nothing of any note. Failed as club manager. The FA have had in charge of the U21s and we've qualified for a tournament but didn't even get out of the group!!!!
Just summissing!!!!!!!!!!! :)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well neither have any of the others so nothing to lose

Only generally we get through, the tactics and performance the other night might even put that in jeopardy, especially if it comes to a play off against Italy.

Poor coach/manager for me.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Only generally we get through, the tactics and performance the other night might even put that in jeopardy, especially if it comes to a play off against Italy.

Poor coach/manager for me.

Don't disagree but can't think of any recent manager that has filled me with any excitement maybe it will be him just saying can't do any worse

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Stuff like this always brings me back to this quote:

'Passion; commitment; pride; patriotism are not deciding factors in elite level sport - composure, decision-making and execution are.'

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I didn't listen to it but I can imagine it went something like this.

''Morning Adrian''

''Morning Alan''

''Adrian, It's a cracking weekend of Premier League football coming up, Do you fancy Manchester City to beat Everton at the weekend and what about Chelsea V Leicester. What a cracker.

<Premier league chat continues for 5 minutes>

''Right, lets talk England. I don't wanee go on about it but I feel for Big Sam. He was just helping his mate out and trying to make a few quid in the process. Who wouldn't speak to a borderline criminal organisation for a few hundred thousands to advise them how they could circumnavigate the rules of the FA whilst in charge of the England team?

Ray Parlour speaks ''That's right Al, I played under George Graham and we won the double when he was taking bungs at Watford Gap services. The games gone nowadays'

Adrian 'Southgate has done well in front of the media so far and I'm su...'

Thanks Adrian, Right, lets speak to our friends the crooks at Coral's

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Roberto Martinez is terrible though. Belgium have made a massive mistake.

Good manager at Championship level, not up to it in the Premier League. Incapable of setting up a defense properly. Everton were fine all the time Moyes defense was still these, went to shit after that.

I genuinely don't think he's any better than Chris Hughton.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Don't disagree but can't think of any recent manager that has filled me with any excitement maybe it will be him just saying can't do any worse

Would take Hoddle or any number of foreign candidates, even Wenger.

Just not Southgate, Bruce, Howe, Douche or any other dodgy English manager, who play uninspiring boring football and are tactically clueless.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I didn't listen to it but I can imagine it went something like this.

''Morning Adrian''

''Morning Alan''

''Adrian, It's a cracking weekend of Premier League football coming up, Do you fancy Manchester City to beat Everton at the weekend and what about Chelsea V Leicester. What a cracker.

<Premier league chat continues for 5 minutes>

''Right, lets talk England. I don't wanee go on about it but I feel for Big Sam. He was just helping his mate out and trying to make a few quid in the process. Who wouldn't speak to a borderline criminal organisation for a few hundred thousands to advise them how they could circumnavigate the rules of the FA whilst in charge of the England team?

Ray Parlour speaks ''That's right Al, I played under George Graham and we won the double when he was taking bungs at Watford Gap services. The games gone nowadays'

Adrian 'Southgate has done well in front of the media so far and I'm su...'

Thanks Adrian, Right, lets speak to our friends the crooks at Coral's

Haha, good one. However, AB did say that Southgate should get the job because of his media handling. I remember being dumbfounded that he didn't mention the fact that Southgate may or may not be a good football coach/manager and thought it just summed up where the FAs priorities laid (even though AB no longer works for them).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here