Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scotland and Independence. Again !!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
They tabled this?! - https://www.parliament.uk/edm/2016-17/300

She's very nice though.

(She's on the right, her SNP MP is on the left)

CojDFfmWgAEEItV.jpg

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Are you surprised? I find it difficult to find NS endearing, but if Theresa May was half as good a leader, I'd be happy.
I don't blame (but aren't happy) the Scots will be ditching us, I predicted they would pre Brexit, but some scoffed at my suggestion.
Out of Europe we are going to have a difficult time, and the signs are becoming ever more apparent.
I await with interest to discover who will be the first NSC 'Leaver' to own up, and post they'd got it wrong. :shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Was always on the cards.

Next time there will be no Gordon Brown to rescue it at the last minute.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The guy says that because 62% of Scottish voters voted to REMAIN in the EU Referendum that gives him a democratic mandate to pursue a second independence referendum. He conveniently ignores the fact 55% of Scottish voters in the first independence referendum voted to REMAIN in the UK.

If Scotland gets a second independence referendum and decides to LEAVE then that will call into question the reliability of referendums in general, particularly as Theresa May's only justification for Brexit - in spite of her own personal opinion on the matter - is that it was the majority will of the British people and Parliament is duty bound to see it through.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The guy says that because 62% of Scottish voters voted to REMAIN in the EU Referendum that gives him a democratic mandate to pursue a second independence referendum. He conveniently ignores the fact 55% of Scottish voters in the first independence referendum voted to REMAIN in the UK.

If Scotland gets a second independence referendum and decides to LEAVE then that will call into question the reliability of referendums in general, particularly as Theresa May's only justification for Brexit - in spite of her own personal opinion on the matter - is that it was the majority will of the British people and Parliament is duty bound to see it through.

More people voted to remain in The UK, than to remain in The EU too.

Yoda

English & European
I'm not a fan of the SNP but I can't see much wrong here.

They voted last time to remain a member of the UK after being scared into think it was the only/best way to remain a member of the EU, then what does the majority do in this this England back in the Summer?
Oh, yes, sticks their fingers up at them by voting to leave the EU. They are only standing up for what they believe in.

Let them go and take their shocking debt and GDP over to the Saviour of wonderment that is the EU. They can join Greece as a German slave state.

The SNP are a racist bunch of psychos. How Farage gets all the flack and wee krankie gets lauded over I will never know. They are exactly the same!

Piss off to Europe, you traitors.

Over and out!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not a fan of the SNP but I can't see much wrong here.

They voted last time to remain a member of the UK after being scared into think it was the only/best way to remain a member of the EU, then what does the majority do in this this England back in the Summer?
Oh, yes, sticks their fingers up at them by voting to leave the EU. They are only standing up for what they believe in.

I daresay that the thought the UK might leave the EU didn't cross many people's minds when they cast their vote in the Scottish Independence Referendum. Most would have assumed we'd remain and Scotland would be safer and stronger by remaining part of the UK.

Now, as we've seen with the £ plummeting after the Brexit vote that the economic safety net has been withdrawn, so the risks associated with leaving are clearly less than before Brexit. Indeed, by remaining in the EU an Independent Scotland could potentially retain, or even attract, jobs they might have lost if they'd stayed in the Union and Brexited.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Let them go and take their shocking debt and GDP over to the Saviour of wonderment that is the EU. They can join Greece as a German slave state.

The SNP are a racist bunch of psychos. How Farage gets all the flack and wee krankie gets lauded over I will never know. They are exactly the same!

Piss off to Europe, you traitors.

Over and out!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The Scottish people have backed the Union, backed the EU, rejected a broken Labour Party and - until this week - elected MPs who together have provided the only meaningful opposition in Parliament to this Tory government. From where I'm sitting the Scottish people haven't done much wrong thus far.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Are you surprised? I find it difficult to find NS endearing, but if Theresa May was half as good a leader, I'd be happy.
I don't blame (but aren't happy) the Scots will be ditching us, I predicted they would pre Brexit, but some scoffed at my suggestion.
Out of Europe we are going to have a difficult time, and the signs are becoming ever more apparent.
I await with interest to discover who will be the first NSC 'Leaver' to own up, and post they'd got it wrong. :shrug:

I will be the first to admit I got voting to leave wrong. However, I would like to say that in my defence I was not given all the correct information in the run up to the referendum.

I can remember being informed that if we left the EU the sun would no longer rise, the seas would not ebb and flow and the sky would fall in. But nobody mentioned that the cost of Marmite would go up by 16p per jar.

This is a real game changer for me and I will me marching on Westminster tomorrow to demand another referendum.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
EU won't want them. Their economy will be a basket case as the level of Greece.

I disagree - after the flak they've had from England they'll lean over backwards. If it looks as though a referendum might happen I'll be on the first plane to Edinburgh to buy a flat in the family's name. Residency will count in getting a passport.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I disagree - after the flak they've had from England they'll lean over backwards. If it looks as though a referendum might happen I'll be on the first plane to Edinburgh to buy a flat in the family's name. Residency will count in getting a passport.

Are you struggling to get a passport at the moment? Will UK residents not be issued with passports post Brexit?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
If Scotland leaves and the proposed constituency boundary changes go ahead, Labour is pretty much finished in England?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Why not go now ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here