Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tesco vs Unilever ***Official Batch Thread***

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Tesco crying about being bullied over prices which is what they have been doing for years to the farmers. Big supermarkets and suppliers are really showing what they are made of.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wonder who'll be the losers here.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think you know the answer to that.....the consumer. But there is plenty more to come. One of my major suppliers charges in Euros, now costing at least 10 per cent more, and at some point we will also need to add the increased transport costs for oil paid for in dollars. Please note, EVERY physical product that you buy will increase in price in the coming months. Good luck everybody.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It's nothing and will pass.

Once we get our free trade deal with Australia, everyone will be able to have cheap Vegemite and Aussie Shampoo and we can forget about this Marmite Euro muck.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It does produce a wry smile that Tesco are getting this from a supplier after treating suppliers so badly. And of course, we're talking about a supermarket who fiddled it's accounts.

They've also handed a golden opportunity to their rivals. If I were Sainsburys or Asda I'd be at my ad agency already pointing out you can buy these products at my supermarket and not Tesco. You can see it now - price match - Marmite at Sainsburys, £1.25, Marmite at Tesco, a big cross with the Family Fortunes buzzer sound.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It does produce a wry smile that Tesco are getting this from a supplier after treating suppliers so badly. And of course, we're talking about a supermarket who fiddled it's accounts.

They've also handed a golden opportunity to their rivals. If I were Sainsburys or Asda I'd be at my ad agency already pointing out you can buy these products at my supermarket and not Tesco. You can see it now - price match - Marmite at Sainsburys, £1.25, Marmite at Tesco, a big cross with the Family Fortunes buzzer sound.

All supermarkets are being hit with this by Unilever though and none have accepted the increase I believe. Just happens Tesco appear to be running out the first and have leaked this

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It's nothing and will pass.

Once we get our free trade deal with Australia, everyone will be able to have cheap Vegemite and Aussie Shampoo and we can forget about this Marmite Euro muck.

Ha ha.
Vegemite is manufactured in Port Melbourne. The £ has gone downunder against the convicts $ since the referendum. So a price rise. It is owned by mondelez international a US company. The fall in sterling will add to transportation costs to the UK.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think it's fair enough from Tesco. The likes of Marmite are 100% manufactured and distributed in the UK.

Unilever are simply using Brexit as a pretext for profiteering.

this. Unilevers products have single digit % of raw materials, the rest is margin for all the good value they add through manufacturing and marketing. you'd expect a couple % increase to the products max, which Tesco and the other supermarkets routinely absorb or smooth over the range of brands.

id back Tesco and the other supermarkets in this, they'd rather sell their own brands on which they get a larger profit margin.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I wonder who'll be the losers here.

Joe public of course and/or the producers at the other end.

Unilever probably supply 40% of the stuff in your home and it will inevitably increase prices in the shops, Tesco just don't want to be the first ones to raise.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I wonder whether the fact that Tesco's CEO spent the whole of his career at Unilever before jumping ship a couple of years ago is relevant ? A little payback maybe :whistle:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Usual fare, just above the radar this time. it wiul get sorted with a negotiated wholesale price rise, minimal price rise in store, and Unilever investing shed loads more in in-store trade marketing to keep Tescos bottom line the same. Happens all the time.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Mrs Chopper works for a food company, their main ingredient sourced from Europe has increased 17% since Brexit, they cannot get the same ingredient from the UK in the same quantity or quality, and the price will only rise with fuel costs.
This is just the start of it.
Well done all you misguided leavers. Fools the lot of you.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Mrs Chopper works for a food company, their main ingredient sourced from Europe has increased 17% since Brexit, they cannot get the same ingredient from the UK in the same quantity or quality, and the price will only rise with fuel costs.

Pssssst....we haven't left yet. The price rise is simply a smokescreen excuse.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Unilever can at least stand up the supermarkets, small brands are just delisted or put on the bottom shelf where no one looks.

As consumers we will be meaner and poorer due to the weak pound

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Well if the remainers had said in their campaign that Marmite was going to rise in price everybody would have voted to stay - obvious, so remainers fault this has happened.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here