So can Bruce lift Villa up the table?

Will they be a threat come May?

Or will they sink without trace?

What do the Sages of NSC think?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
With all his experience Steve Bruce could be the perfect fit foir Villa. The squad is ready assembled, and with the right leadership, and without too much interference from the boardroom, they could still have a successful season.

That said, to catch the likes of the current top four, they would certainly have to go some this season.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They have to make up 11 points on us in 35 games.

If we back ourselves to continue at 2 points a game we'll finish on 92 points.

In that case, they would need to go at 2.3 points per game to catch us - the equivalent of a 103 point finish.

It's all about what we do, not Villa.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
With that squad and Bruce in charge I'd be surprised if they don't make the Play Offs; top two will be out of reach though.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Only time will tell....but did he go to his Villa interview wearing a Hull City tie?? Or did SSN just use a bit of stock footage of him leaving Villa Park?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I like Steve Bruce. however, if things behind the scenes start interfering with his running of the team he'll be off by christmas

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Probably a good appointment but still something rotten at that club. Only four wins in their last 49 games. It's going to take time to turn around a team with that sort of losing mentality.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He has the basis of a promotion winning squad and will get them up and running very soon.
You said that about the previous manager, before he'd spent £50m on new players.

That went well.

I don't disagree that they have some good players NOW btw. Club is a mess though. Bruce is probably the right man for the job.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Probably a good appointment but still something rotten at that club. Only four wins in their last 49 games. It's going to take time to turn around a team with that sort of losing mentality.

Unfortunately for us they'll all go on behind the scenes, but I reckon there'll be some huge battles of wills going on at Villa in the next few months. Bruce is a pretty strong character, I think - but there's a lot of entrenched resistance at Villa; resistance to what (apart from winning!) I don't know, but there's something intrinsically wrong at the heart of that club that needs to be rooted out - and it won't go easily without a fight.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Villa are the next Blackburn. Rotten to the core, clueless owner, and completely lumbered with a colossal number of high earners and wastrels. If I was a Villa fan, I'd take 15th right now.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I thought Di Matteo was a terrible appointment. I think Bruce is a very good one. If he gets them motoring, they could be a big threat in the playoffs.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I think it's a great appointment for them, but I'm no so sure about for Bruce. 4 wins in almost 50 games, something very much not right.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Steve Bruce has shed some timber this summer and he looks a few years younger than the guy who was in the dugout in the last few months at Hull. That says to me he has a bit of hunger to make a big go of his next job.

He'll need it because Villa have been a basket case the last couple of years. Seem to be short of moral fibre in that team.

Bruce is the right appointment to deal with that though. Anyone not pulling their weight will very quickly get shown the door. He knows what's needed to get teams promoted out of that division.

It will be too soon to get them up this season, but he should get them comfortably in the top half by the end of the season and raring to go for next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here