Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England supporters' views on other home nations?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Confession: whereas once I reflexively 'supported' Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland (and Ireland) in their games, I've now found myself sort of vaguely hoping they'll lose. Not sure why or when this changed - possibly during the years I shared an office with a rabid Welshman and a dour Scot and got every England set-back (football and rugby) rammed down my throat. Any others of the same inclination?

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Always hated the leek munchers. But (I'll whisper it), I'm actually more a rugby fan than football fan so the rivalry is much more prominent in the game than football. Doesn't help that my other half is Welsh too.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I used to, and probably still do hope they all win. However, that has changed a bit since the Euro's following the welsh celebration of our demise, to the extent that I found myself pleased that Georgia held them.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Nope, it's in my genes to support the underdog, this perversely leading me to root for 'lesser' nations playing England in certain sports. England aside, I always hope the other home nations win in football.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Always had a soft spot for Northern Ireland, as for the other two, apart from one exception for Scotland during their game against Brazil in the 1998 world cup as the pub was full of arrogant Brilliant students, never. Always hope they lose.

It's a two-way street and only right and proper.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The British Isles teams are all my 'second teams', so I want them all to do well.

An exception was the Wales goons caught on film celebrating about England failure.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Always want Scotland to lose because it's hilarious.

Used to quite like Wales but now want to see them lose. Happy to see them do well, not happy to see them do better than England.

Like to see both Ireland's do well, because they are frankly just another England team.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Couldn't care less, quite like the Irish teams though.

That said, I'm starting to dislike Wales for all their fans bleating and crowing during the Euros. A couple of good results and all of a sudden they're billy big bollocks. Was pleasing to see them taken down a peg when normal service was resumed against Georgia.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Fact your not English if you have a soft spot for Wales or Scotland you can by default have a soft spot for N Ireland as they in return have a soft spot for us although they do enjoy beating us.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Once ABE came into existence, I have always returned the feelings with bells on, so fxxk 'em!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Confession: whereas once I reflexively 'supported' Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland (and Ireland) in their games, I've now found myself sort of vaguely hoping they'll lose. Not sure why or when this changed - possibly during the years I shared an office with a rabid Welshman and a dour Scot and got every England set-back (football and rugby) rammed down my throat. Any others of the same inclination?
Same for me. I always supported the home nations, but then I went and lived in Scotland in the 1970s and experienced at first hand the collective hatred the Scots have for the English. Individually they are friendly people, and were friendly to me as an individual, but collectively they hate the English with a passion as strong as racism. Rivalry and so on I can understand - happy with that - but the ABE mind-set is, as far as I'm concerned, despicable.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I like N.Ireland to do well. No particular opinion on ROI or Wales. Will always have a good laugh when Scotland lose though, last night's result was particularly hysterical.

kjgood

Same for me. I always supported the home nations, but then I went and lived in Scotland in the 1970s and experienced at first hand the collective hatred the Scots have for the English. Individually they are friendly people, and were friendly to me as an individual, but collectively they hate the English with a passion as strong as racism. Rivalry and so on I can understand - happy with that - but the ABE mind-set is, as far as I'm concerned, despicable.

Try being an englishman and living in Wales with both football and rugby.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Try being an englishman and living in Wales with both football and rugby.

call yourself English....

You have been away too long, your even subliminally spelling Englishman without a capital.

If you do spell Englishman with a capital letter does an alarm go off at work (they do have computers over there don't they?) and they all come round and "guro chi i fyny"

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I allow my feelings about the other three home nations to vary according to their form. When - even by their standards - they are sh1te it's extremely funny, and when they over-achieve you give them a grudging respect.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
My grandad was Welsh and very proud of it. I also have a surname that is the second most popular after Jones in the principality. I was proud of Wales during the Euro's and wanted them to win the tournament. Playing England was a bit surreal with all the build-up as well.

I've never felt more apathy towards the England football team than I do now. I couldn't even bring myself to watch the 'highlights' on ITV last night.

The two Ireland's I always want to do well but laugh so much at Scotland being such utter shite and get humiliating results against small nations like Georgia, Lithuania and Slovakia. :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have no interest in Wales, Scotland, Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland, I struggle enough to maintain any interest in England.

Not sure if it's an age thing or the mostly uninspired boring football that they all play, I used to relish watching England when i was young and get excited about games. I struggle to even watch unless it's a major tournament or a friendly against decent team these days.

Time was when we were generally much better than all the other British teams, not much between us any more though and non of them set the pulse racing. Pretty well the only time I'll even check the scores of other nations is if there is an Albion interest so I have been checking quite a few scores recently, no desire to watch though.!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here