Hunemier
Bong
Kayal
Norwood
Skalak
Knockeart
Murphy
Hemed

A strong Brighton 11 without an Englishman and there are other options in the squad. How long will it be before that actually happens? Bonkers that this could be the reality in the second tier.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Maenpaa
Bruno
Duffy
Hunemier
Bong
Kayal
Norwood
Skalak
Knockeart
Murphy
Hemed

A strong Brighton 11 without an Englishman and there are other options in the squad. How long will it be before that actually happens? Bonkers that this could be the reality in the second tier.

Sunday League it is then :moo:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maenpaa
Bruno
Duffy
Hunemier
Bong
Kayal
Norwood
Skalak
Knockeart
Murphy
Hemed

Equally likely to end up with this.......

Stockdale
Hunt
Dunk
Goldson
Rosenior
March
Stephens
Sidwell
Norwood (English born chose NI I think.....[emoji3] ok I cheated)
Baldock
Murray

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Maenpaa
Bruno
Duffy
Hunemier
Bong
Kayal
Norwood
Skalak
Knockeart
Murphy
Hemed

You aren't far wrong.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Isn't the problem more that the big clubs hoover up young English talent, farm them out continually, rarely give them a chance at first team football and recruit expensive foreign players instead.

Chelsea have some ridiculous amount of youngsters on their books and I'd happily put money down that maybe three of those will ever line up for the first team. And of those three maybe one will be English.

Kuma

*dons shades*
Aug 22, 2015
Midlands
Maybe if English talent didn't come with a high price tag. From a money point of view, why pay x amount for one English player when you can get two or even three non English players for the same price.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
How long will it be before that actually happens? Bonkers that this could be the reality in the second tier.

Why, I would much prefer to see a successful Albion team with players from anywhere, than a team full of English players that is losing every week.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I would suggest it goes deeper than just young players getting game time in the top leagues.

The whole system of bringing youngsters through in this country is so out of whack from such a young age. You look at the 11 out on the pitch tonight, their control was poor, their passing mediocre (always playing the ball behind the player they were passing to or their first instinct was to look to pass backwards). Though Slovenia did very well to harrass and close us down, we had no one that could just put their foot on the ball and create the space that was needed to open them up, everything was rushed. We have very few intellectual footballers that can read the game, envision a defence splitting pass now. All that stems from what they're taught as youngsters. Until that's sorted out we'll always get talent coming through and the occasional genius talent like Gazza or Beckham, but we'll never compete with the major players in major tournaments.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
English players for the national team ALL play at the highest level, there are plenty of players for each position. English players are just not good enough and I think it's a coaching problem, not a production problem.

'Sideways passing, no insightful forward thinking'. Glenn Hoddle knows his stuff!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I would suggest it goes deeper than just young players getting game time in the top leagues.

The whole system of bringing youngsters through in this country is so out of whack from such a young age. You look at the 11 out on the pitch tonight, their control was poor, their passing mediocre (always playing the ball behind the player they were passing to or their first instinct was to look to pass backwards). Though Slovenia did very well to harrass and close us down, we had no one that could just put their foot on the ball and create the space that was needed to open them up, everything was rushed. We have very few intellectual footballers that can read the game, envision a defence splitting pass now. All that stems from what they're taught as youngsters. Until that's sorted out we'll always get talent coming through and the occasional genius talent like Gazza or Beckham, but we'll never compete with the major players in major tournaments.

Sadly, I think a lot of that instinct and freedom to be creative is coached out of them at a young age by idiots who watch SKY sports pundits and insist on implementing systems and formations and patterns etc, just for their own desire to be a master tactician. Just let kids play football and develop their own skills and vision and sense of position etc. Too many wannabe Gary Nevilles on parks on a Sunday morning who haven't got an effing clue what they're talking about - but it's what they heard on the telly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
is it a symptom or a cause? are we filling a squad because there isnt enough English talent, or is there a lack of talent because we fill the squad with foreigners? i dont know.

Maybe if English talent didn't come with a high price tag. From a money point of view, why pay x amount for one English player when you can get two or even three non English players for the same price.

and this is a odd condundrum. why is the English talent more expensive? it would suggest there isnt enough (demand outstrips supply), so its not a cause but a consequence. yet, where does demand for English players come from, surely we value skills and ability over nationality in football? is it even true, outside a few top players, are the Englishmen in the Arsenal squad paid more and valued more than the other nations?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
is it a symptom or a cause? are we filling a squad because there isnt enough English talent, or is there a lack of talent because we fill the squad with foreigners? i dont know.

and this is a odd condundrum. why is the English talent more expensive? it would suggest there isnt enough (demand outstrips supply), so its not a cause but a consequence. yet, where does demand for English players come from, surely we value skills and ability over nationality in football? is it even true, outside a few top players, are the Englishmen in the Arsenal squad paid more and valued more than the other nations?

It's the rules innit. Gotta have at least 8 "home grown players" (ie English) in every squad. If it wasn't for those rules we'd see entirely foreign squads.

http://www.epfl-europeanleagues.com/quota_for_Premier_League.htm

This came in in 2010 and created a demand for English players as most "home grown" players are of course English. We have started to see a trend though in "home grown" foreigners, where the big teams have been spending money on promising foreign youngsters. As long as the season where they turn 21 is the 3rd season playing for an FA registered club, they count as "home grown". Romelu Lukaku falls into this category for example.

Greg Dyke recognises this as a problem and is looking to change the rules................

http://www.thefa.com/news/thefa/201...ion-homegrown-players-work-permits-march-2015

If these rules go through you'll see an even more inflated market for English players.

Actually I've found an article that sums it all up nicely. It's actually from The Daily Hatred but explains it quite well..........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ar...gue-s-homegrown-quota-does-actually-work.html

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Is it because the Premier League is so successful financially than all the other top European leagues, that makes the foreign coaches and players flock here for the money, sorry football.
The young talented English players, as mentioned already, do not get a chance and then tagged with a high price tag.
It's not always good to have the most exciting league, it comes at a price, like the national side suffering.
Germany, Spain, France and Italy do not seem to have these problems all the time.
Must be something we can learn from our neighbours.
They have all evolved, whilst we are still struggling to do so.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Tom Ince 5 Million

Knockaert - 2 ish million

British talent is extra, ironically partly because of the home grown rule

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Piss poor English coaches is more of a problem IMO.

Spinal Wheels

Apr 9, 2012
Newick
What worries me most of all is that the players playing for England right now probably believe there all fairly good players as they mostly all play for Premiership teams. Sadly their all extremely average, & even worse I can't ever see that improving as things are within English football right now..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here