Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should there be an upper age limit for driving?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wonder as I saw 2 examples today as to why the answer should be yes. Walking past Co op garage in Frankkynn Rd Haywards Heath when an elderly gehtleman wanted to turn right and head towards the hospital and asked me if the road was clear as he couldnt see far enough up the road.

2nd one was in the car park behind Poundland an elderly lady trying to park a small Suzuki in a double parking space then when she had she could hardly walk to the pay machine. I wonder if the age limit should be finish before 80th birthday

I am 73 and prefer to use the bus pass and only drive when needs must.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I don't think so. People's senses deteriorate at different rates so you can't put an exact age on it. My dad is nearly 75 and he's still a perfectly capable driver.

I do think there is a case for having a more stringent test when over 70s renew their licence. At least have some kind of awareness test, to determine if someone will be alert enough to deal with incidents. Obviously there will be issues funding and staffing such tests.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yes, and there is indirectly through increasing insurance and needing to renew licence every 5 years.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
No, you can't apply one-size-fits-all. More frequent eye tests and driving tests, maybe, but you can't just ban people after a certain age. Ban them for bad driving, regardless of age.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I wonder as I saw 2 examples today as to why the answer should be yes. Walking past Co op garage in Frankkynn Rd Haywards Heath when an elderly gehtleman wanted to turn right and head towards the hospital and asked me if the road was clear as he couldnt see far enough up the road.

2nd one was in the car park behind Poundland an elderly lady trying to park a small Suzuki in a double parking space then when she had she could hardly walk to the pay machine. I wonder if the age limit should be finish before 80th birthday

Was the first bloke the one who nearly hit you on that roundabout :ohmy:
Was he coming back for another go :moo:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If hardly being able to walk was a criteria for driving, then disabled people wouldn't be able to drive.

Obviously good eyesight is necessary, and eyes should be tested on a regular basis in any case, regardless of age.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

Glad to hear that the Poundland is thriving up there BG.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
when an elderly gehtleman wanted to turn right and head towards the hospital and asked me if the road was clear as he couldnt see far enough up the road.

This has nothing to do with age, but is poor eyesight which can affect anyone regardless of age. It is of course illegal to drive where the eyesight is below the required standard which would appear to be the case here. I trust that you informed the driver of this fact and reported him to the Police for his own safety.

2nd one was in the car park behind Poundland an elderly lady trying to park a small Suzuki in a double parking space then when she had she could hardly walk to the pay machine..

Again nothing to do with age, but is more around the physical ability of the driver. The ability to walk or not is not a requirement to driving, but clearly is one aspect where applying for a blue badge and motorability cars.

But to answer your question, no as people are living longer and health differs from person to person. What there should be is more publicity on the signs to look for which may indicate it is time to stop driving, more access to family having an imput where they believe the elder driver should stop, all linked to better public transport to enable the elderly to still get out and about.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If hardly being able to walk was a criteria for driving, then disabled people wouldn't be able to drive.

Obviously good eyesight is necessary, and eyes should be tested on a regular basis in any case, regardless of age.

Some years ago my wifes father couldnt fill in the form to renew his licence as he couldnt see it clesr enough but continued to drive from near The Henty in Ferring to the seafront. He said if he didng he would never go out and saw nothing wrong with it.

There are no rules to have a medical 8r eyesight check you just fill tge form in anc are trusted to declare any short comings.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I think all over 70's should be banned, oh and throw all women in whilst you're at it

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

You 're lucky to have a bus !!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I don't think there should be an upper limit but I would be hugely in favour of frequent re-tests beyond a certain age. As to what that age should be or how frequent is for wiser people to figure out but it seems far fairer than taking licenses needlessly, whilst hopefully making the roads safer by removing some of the geriatric cruise missiles out there.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some years ago my wifes father couldnt fill in the form to renew his licence as he couldnt see it clesr enough but continued to drive from near The Henty in Ferring to the seafront. He said if he didng he would never go out and saw nothing wrong with it.

There are no rules to have a medical 8r eyesight check you just fill tge form in anc are trusted to declare any short comings.

Tried to edit the spelling etc but left it too late, eating my dinner, so i must apologize for the errors.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Driving licences expire on 70th birthday you the. Renew for 3 years could they not bring in a driving test without the written one before renewal just based on general safety, ability and vision without the finer points of the first driving test. This would then reward experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here