Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am sure Apple will be loving this, what a complete mess up

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yep, and Google have totally cocked up with the release of pixel phones. Not only p*ssed off their fanboys by killing the Nexus line, but introduced pixels (which are admittedly very good by the look of things) at a super high price and in the main American market, they are only available direct or from one unpopular carrier, Verizon. They must be kicking themselves.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

They would be if they actually had more than about four iPhone 7s in stock across the country...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They would be if they actually had more than about four iPhone 7s in stock across the country...

That's where you've been going wrong. The 7s isn't out yet. Try checking for the 7 or 7 Plus. Hope this helps.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's where you've been going wrong. The 7s isn't out yet.
As you well know, had edna meant the 7s, she would have said "four iPhone 7ses", as that is the plural for the 7s. Since she said "four iPhone 7s", she was clearly referring to the iPhone 7.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As you well know, had edna meant the 7s, she would have said "four iPhone 7ses", as that is the plural for the 7s. Since she said "four iPhone 7s", she was clearly referring to the iPhone 7.

No, I know she's referring to the 7 Plus, as:

a) She asked me about them recently.
b) The 'normal' 7 is in stock in nearly all Apple stores in nearly all colours and sizes.

Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 12.44.59.png

(I think you're suggesting my post was a bit twattish, and on that I agree)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, I know she's referring to the 7 Plus, as:

a) She asked me about them recently.
b) The 'normal' 7 is in stock in nearly all Apple stores in nearly all colours and sizes.
Then why didn't the stupid bitch (she likened me to Mr Trump) say the ****ing 7 Plus then?!

(I think you're suggesting my post was a bit twattish, and on that I agree)
Nah, I was just being pedantic. If twattish posts were discouraged this forum would be dead.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
"consumers’ safety remains our top priority"

Bullshit. They've never given two ****s about the consumer IMO and this whole case has shown that in no uncertain terms. I've never really cared for Samsung. As a company, they've peppered the market with every single possible iteration, price point and useless gimmick they possible could just to try to gain market share. It's only in the last few years they seem to have begun focussing on design, build quality and user experience. And fair play, they looked like they might have turned a corner with the S6/S7 ranges.

Then this.

It's not that phones exploded... well, it is of course, but it's not really that part. It's the way they've dealt with it. They took an age to admit it was happening and even longer to do something about it. All the while phones are exploding left right and centre. For this to happen to the replacement batch too is just unforgivable. There are stories all over the web of consumers having a very difficult time getting a straight answer from Samsung reps and the worst of all is that they STILL haven't explained why the phones have been exploding!

All I can say is that I imagine the people at Apple are VERY relieved to see their main competitor totally **** up a glorious opportunity. Apple gambled on the fact they could wait a year for a big iPhone redesign. I don't think they're resting on their laurels as such, but it was definitely a risk. But I think it's safe to say that it's paid off. The Pixel really does look interesting, but the price point is too high (esp with no waterproofing) and it's a 1st gen device effectively which is trying to sell itself on the basis of a ton of google features (daydream, google assistant etc) which will take a while to become factors in consumers minds.

I really think this will hurt Samsung in the long run. What with Google becoming a direct competitor to them now, they might really feel the repercussions of this in the coming few years..

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I am Apple iPhone all the way (not in the Bozza way, but in the normal way) and I have to say that I think this is bad news in general. Samsung were keeping Apple on their toes. I don't really see any other competitor doing that and this sort of thing could have a significant effect on people who have to return their phone.

Of course some will think, 'new phone for free', but many will probably avoid Samsung now due to the hassle it'll cause. Massive own goal.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am Apple iPhone all the way (not in the Bozza way, but in the normal way).

I'm largely impartial now. I think the iOS lead over Android has all but gone and think all the flagship phones are excellent devices that can do all most of us want and more besides.

I find myself slightly drawn to Google, which means Android, because of the ridiculously clever AI stuff they can do based on all the data we share with them. Apple may have boxed themselves into a corner a bit with their "your data is your data" stance, which they took to differentiate themselves from Google's data-mining ways. I'm not sure whether to be concerned about how much Google knows and can interpret or just think "sod it" and go with the flow.

I thought the new Pixel phone looks an excellent device, more so because it comes in blue, although only to US buyers. There were rumours that the iPhone 7 was going to come in blue, which had me quite excited.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm largely impartial now. I think the iOS lead over Android has all but gone and think all the flagship phones are excellent devices that can do all most of us want and more besides.

I find myself slightly drawn to Google, which means Android, because of the ridiculously clever AI stuff they can do based on all the data we share with them. Apple may have boxed themselves into a corner a bit with their "your data is your data" stance, which they took to differentiate themselves from Google's data-mining ways. I'm not sure whether to be concerned about how much Google knows and can interpret or just think "sod it" and go with the flow.

I thought the new Pixel phone looks an excellent device, more so because it comes in blue, although only to US buyers. There were rumours that the iPhone 7 was going to come in blue, which had me quite excited.

According to last years UK figures, Android usage was up slightly from 51% to 53% and iOS was down by about the same to 35%. I suspect US iOS figures may be higher, but I don't know. I write apps for a living, but only Android. at the mo, no plans to do iOS but maybe.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
According to last years UK figures, Android usage was up slightly from 51% to 53% and iOS was down by about the same to 35%. I suspect US iOS figures may be higher, but I don't know. I write apps for a living, but only Android. at the mo, no plans to do iOS but maybe.

That goes somewhat against the grain and without knowing more about what you do specifically, seems a strange decision commercially. The App Store is where the cash still is despite a signifcantly smaller userbase: http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...ng-4x-revenues-per-app-vs-android-google-play

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
That goes somewhat against the grain and without knowing more about what you do specifically, seems a strange decision commercially. The App Store is where the cash still is despite a signifcantly smaller userbase: http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...ng-4x-revenues-per-app-vs-android-google-play

Got a friend who does the same, he gets a LOT more downloads on Android, but practically no income from it. If he runs a paid app, something like 'over 90%' of installs are pirate ones. Madness if that's your primary method of making money :(

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

The 11 year old has one of our old phones (iPhone 4 I think), he inevitably broke the screen so I repaired it, but got a blue set from Amazon. Changed his wallpaper to the Albion logo and left it next to his bed.

"I hate blue, can you make it green"

The kid is sick in the head.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I'm laughing at this. I'm an iOS macOS kind of guy, but I did buy a Samsung TV. The TV has been utter dog shite. Supposed to be 'smart' yet it will crash every time I use an app or try to go on the internet. Their support have been terrible so far, I've been battling with them for 10 months to get it replaced.

On a side note, part of my responsibilities at work is to manage the mobile devices, we have 99% iOS and 1% android (users given a choice) and we're a company that uses Google apps for Business. Might get a Pixel in to test, out of curiosity. But can't see me being swayed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here