Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drop in Brighton Day Visitors (Rise in Overnights)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
We maxed out on what we can take in years ago. When the roads become queues for getting in and out of car parks, when having to walk against waves of people, and when people take up the beaches huddled together like a seal or penguine colony, but poluting the beaches with rubbish it's enough to put anyone off a day visit in peak season.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dare say 2015 was down to the mainly rubbish weather, with the sky high parking charges a major factor. When 2016 figures are released, the sky high parking charges will still be a major factor, but it's Southern/GTR who have reaped economic devastation on the town, in what must be one of the most glorious weather-wise Summers of recent times. Anytime I've been down the seafront this Summer, the beaches have been very sparsely populated. Feel desperately sorry for the seafront traders.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Dare say 2015 was down to the mainly rubbish weather, with the sky high parking charges a major factor. When 2016 figures are released, the sky high parking charges will still be a major factor, but it's Southern/GTR who have reaped economic devastation on the town, in what must be one of the most glorious weather-wise Summers of recent times. Anytime I've been down the seafront this Summer, the beaches have been very sparsely populated. Feel desperately sorry for the seafront traders.

I found the plethora of differing opinions fascinating, I'm sure the weather has an impact but then you have someone saying it's a year round destination so weather not such a big deal. The oddest, maybe he's a born optimist, was Cllr Robins who claimed a 9% drop wasn't significant.....

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I want a recount a believe the actual figure was only 999,997 down.

Bound to be a further drop in 2016 due to the wonderful train service.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
We maxed out on what we can take in years ago. When the roads become queues for getting in and out of car parks, when having to walk against waves of people, and when people take up the beaches huddled together like a seal or penguine colony, but poluting the beaches with rubbish it's enough to put anyone off a day visit in peak season.

Visitor numbers went up in 2013 and 2014. So when you say 'years ago', you evidently mean '2-3' years ago.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
A drop in daytrippers, but - buried in the nth paragraph, as the Arsegas likes to pretend to revel in faux-outrage - an increase in overnighters. Mildly interesting.

I agree, that partly offsets things, but the dismissal of day trippers as insignificant and the 10% drop (let's call it that for ease) is worrying. It's in all our interests that the city is successful and comments like “This drop in day visitor numbers isn’t significant – there are resorts near us who would kill for nine million visitors a year.” smell of vanity politics....

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Annual visitor numbers do not reflect busiest days, and when we see Brighton on its busiest days, every m2 is probably occupied by a person.

Busiest days (i.e. the ones where 'every m2 is probably occupied by a person') are often down to one or two things - a major event (e.g. Pride) and/or a gorgeously lovely day weather-wise.

But we are talking about visitor numbers over the course of the year - we don't have single days where we have a million visitors. So the peaks and troughs of any given day give way to the over-riding numbers over a longer sustained period. And in 2013 and 2014, visitor numbers went up. In terms of data, this is a recent thing - not 'years ago'.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I agree, that partly offsets things, but the dismissal of day trippers as insignificant and the 10% drop (let's call it that for ease) is worrying. It's in all our interests that the city is successful and comments like “This drop in day visitor numbers isn’t significant – there are resorts near us who would kill for nine million visitors a year.” smell of vanity politics....

It's not 'insignificant', and the headline figure looks bad, but as you say, not the horrific figure it could be.

But the Arsegas - put together in another south coast town 130 miles away - does like to think it's the Daily Mail now and then, and scream its (cough) 'shock, horror' negative headlines.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Does the rise in overnight visitors include those stuck in the i360?

If it does, I don't think they should be counted.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Busiest days (i.e. the ones where 'every m2 is probably occupied by a person') are often down to one or two things - a major event (e.g. Pride) and/or a gorgeously lovely day weather-wise.

But we are talking about visitor numbers over the course of the year - we don't have single days where we have a million visitors. So the peaks and troughs of any given day give way to the over-riding numbers over a longer sustained period. And in 2013 and 2014, visitor numbers went up. In terms of data, this is a recent thing - not 'years ago'.

I have had the view for many years, many more than two if you are being pedantic, that Brighton between the piers and driving through is a no go area during peak season weekends and times. What is your issue? You seem to have one.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I'm still reeling from the shock of the cost of park and ride about two years ago. Thought I would be smart and park at Withdean, boy did I regret that. Took FOREVER, and cost a small fortune in bus fares. I thought like most park and rides it would be a shuttle into the town centre. Nope, took us all round Withdean and round the arse of beyond before plopping out onto Dyke Road then crawling down into town.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The issue is a lot of daytrippers end up moving to Brighton! Daytrippers down, permanent residents up!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I have had the view for many years, many more than two if you are being pedantic, that Brighton between the piers and driving through is a no go area during peak season weekends and times. What is your issue? You seem to have one.

There's no pedantry involved - I'm merely stating a fact about visitor numbers.

Gawd knows what your opinion of driving along the seafront has to do with anything.

So I guess my issue is that I have no idea what you're on about.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Glorious summers?! June and July were awful as we're most weekends in august with a few mid-week heatwaves.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I was in Harrogate yesterday, puts Brighton to shame. Great old well kept buildings, the top shops all have outlets there. Loads of restaurants. The council take pride in the lawns, plants and shrubbery etc. The place is CLEAN. With it's high car park charges and poor shops I don't think Brighton does itself any favours, and it is tatty and unkempt at the moment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here