Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did a hero of yours ever fall from grace in your eyes, and why?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lance Armstrong. From what he achieved in beating cancer then in Tour de France was an inspiration. Then found out to be a cheat.

This.

Loved Armstrong, and the way he replaced or bettered the bunch of doping cheats - Riis, Ullrich, Pantani, Virenque, especially against the Anglo speaking hate mob in parts of the continental cycling world.

Until it turned out he was just the same.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hate to say it but I really went off Peter Ward after reading his autobiography.

Also I've never quite forgiven Eddie Izzard for sneering at me once in an Edinburgh pizzeria, when all I did was congratulate him on the show he'd just given in the theatre over the road as he walked past my table.

Bit late to the party but what was it in his autobiography that put you off him?

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Mine was Gary Glitter.
Grew up with his music and now... totally embarrassed.
Paul Weller bought me a drink once, was a good lad but at the end of the Jam just went to his head.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Mackeson for me. The ads said 'it looks good, it tastes good and by golly it does you good'.
When I was about fifteen, I had six bottles of the stuff. I was sick all night, even wetting myself and the hangover lasted days! Bernard Miles has a lot to answer for:sick:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Was that before he'd stopped drinking? I've heard from a few people that he was a total BELL but wondered if he was different after his Mrs got him off the sauce?

A friend of mine was out one evening with his fiancée and Weller tried chatting her up, very persistent and giving it the ‘Do you know who I am’ routine. For someone who’s written some of the greatest songs of my lifetime the stream of negative stories about him is depressing to hear.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Weller is notoriously grumpy. Danny Baker tells the story of how he was mentioning this in an NME article when he was pulled up by his wife Wendy, a former secretary at the NME. She wouldn't hear a bad word said about Weller because, of all the pop stars who came through the office, he was the only one who always washed up his own coffee mug.

My brother is a sound engineer. The first time he met Weller, Weller made the tea round for everyone and sat and had a good long chat with my bro. He found him very down to earth.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hate to say it but I really went off Peter Ward after reading his autobiography.

Bit late to the party but what was it in his autobiography that put you off him?

I was wondering that too. Having met Wardy on a few occasions he's a lovely bloke and very dedicated to REMF. Just don't expect him to buy a round.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Not really though can recall being slightly disappointed when I discovered that Peter Ward was a Manure fan but quickly got over it .

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Eric Clapton. Everything he ever did - and did brilliantly - was a variant on black musical heritage. Blues man becomes racist ranter.
Silver lining - helped prompt Rock Against Racism and Anti Nazi League fight back.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Never been a Stan of anyone really, I work with celebrities quite often the latest was ELO the boys were ok the Mrs of one of them was insufferable, think it was the one that used to be married to Kiefer Sutherland.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have met a few famous people and have usually found that if I had a good opinion of them before, it slipped, and if I had not liked them much, it improved.
Notable exception, Jenny Powell, thought she was lovely before meeting her and she was even more so.
I think anyone that asks for an autograph or selfie with a celeb when they are just out and about is being a bit rude, and should not be surprised or offended if told to **** off.
I can remember Ross Noble saying that as a comedian, people come up to him and ask him to make them laugh, which he finds annoying, so he asks what they do for a living, and asks them to perform their job for him first, e.g. ask a postman to give him a letter.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I always had Gary Hart down as a gentleman with dignity and respect but after finding out he was sleeping with Posh Spice whilst she was married to David Beckham, I saw him in a complete different light.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
I always had Gary Hart down as a gentleman with dignity and respect but after finding out he was sleeping with Posh Spice whilst she was married to David Beckham, I saw him in a complete different light.

And then there was the time Stevie Sidwell took us up on our kind offer.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Eric Clapton. Everything he ever did - and did brilliantly - was a variant on black musical heritage. Blues man becomes racist ranter.
Silver lining - helped prompt Rock Against Racism and Anti Nazi League fight back.

I'm still an admirer of the man's talent, but quite apart from the racist rant stuff, I was totally put off after reading his autobiography, which I couldn't finish. He just came over as a self-centred selfish and arrogant X£%$. I realise that he would not have been alone, but the idea of going on stage out of his head and knowing that he would not be able to play for toffee I found sickening. I realise it would be different now.

I was a great Cream fan when I was a kid in the 60s. I recently read Jack Bruce's (auto?)biography, which was a completely different kettle of fish. Yes, he had drink and drug problems, but it came over that he loved and cared about the music. I was also always convinced he was far more talented than Clapton, as his subsequent solo work showed as far as I was concerned.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

You went off Peter Ward why.................... No don't tell me I don't want to know!

God that was posted ages ago so can't remember quite what I was thinking. I suspect all I really meant was that the writing style makes Wardy seem bit smug and big-headed, which is possibly down to the ghost writer. Of course I love him really.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here