Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did a hero of yours ever fall from grace in your eyes, and why?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I used to like this guy as he was a great drummer, turns out he was a right Muppet

animal.PNG

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Paul Weller. A hero of mine for 20+ years then met him at a do in Marylebone a few years ago. Rude, arrogant, dickhead, to just about everyone not just me. Of course in those few hours he could have just been having a bad day but his music has never seemed quite the same to me since, so I wish I’d never met him now.

Have to say that doesn't come as a great surprise, you get the impression that anyone who has ever worked alongside him aren't, in his eyes, considered as equals, and some might say rightly so, but there's something a bit humourless about him. In terms of The Jam, I imagine Buckler and Foxton had to swallow an almighty amount of crap and paid a price, while remaining relatively dignified about it, in order to be permitted to take the stage alongside such 'greatness,' not to mention his dad being their manager in a 'Weller mafia' kind of scenario. Not sure if Dee C Lee has ever commented publicly or has kept her counsel.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I actually used to enjoy Stuart Hall and his verbose match analysis on 5 Live each Saturday. Wonder if he still makes such eloquent ejaculations nowadays.
Good shout. I did too. Liked Rolf Harris's show too; not a fan of Jim'll Fix It, but liked him well enough as a DJ and doing TOTP.

When I was young I used to really like the Lostprophets. Went to see them a couple of times. Of course we now know the lead singer was a wretch of the highest order.
Apart from feeling sorry for his victims I also feel sorry for his former bandmates. All the work they put into that band and their craft has been irreparably damaged by someone they thought they knew.
Another good shout. Never saw them live, but I bought a couple of CDs and really enjoyed them too. Good point about his band-mates too - their careers were ruined. 'Ex Lostprophet' isn't going to get you a gig or a contract anywhere.
In my younger days I enjoyed bopping to Gary Glitter too. And once upon a time I didn't realise that Bob Geldoff is a potty-mouthed entitled self-important oaf.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maty Ryan.

Excellent first season. But this time round, whilst not dropping any absolute howlers, he's looked about as secure as a hymen in a south London comprehensive.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I will never be able to look at "Lovely Louise" Redknapp in the same light after learning of her court appearance for running a red one.
The music of Eternal will never sound the same to me from now on.

Southcoast Corsair

Sep 12, 2012
lost at sea
You’ll be disappointed with this latest musical offering then :smile:

Interesting comments from collaborators on the upcoming album too

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/01/morrissey-collaborators-respond-to-his-politics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CirGJksfyVk

Correct. Not interested. Vauxhall and I was for me the last jolly. He’s a silly man who is perhaps deliberately making his brand toxic so that in the event of his death, the hated record companies and music producers and whatnot will not profit from it.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
chris hughton

I fed up hearing how great he is from all non- Brighton fans and how we are all mean to him etc,etc,etc.

P.s He did a good job ---- to a point. Found wanting in the end !
I'm still not convinced all the duds are duds.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Have to say that doesn't come as a great surprise, you get the impression that anyone who has ever worked alongside him aren't, in his eyes, considered as equals, and some might say rightly so, but there's something a bit humourless about him. In terms of The Jam, I imagine Buckler and Foxton had to swallow an almighty amount of crap and paid a price, while remaining relatively dignified about it, in order to be permitted to take the stage alongside such 'greatness,' not to mention his dad being their manager in a 'Weller mafia' kind of scenario. Not sure if Dee C Lee has ever commented publicly or has kept her counsel.

This. Bands that are democratic with their earnings tend to last longer eg U2.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Another vote for Stuart Hall. I remember my wife telling me and I instantly defended him saying these public accusations have gone too far only for her to stop me dead in my tracks with ‘No, he’s admitted it...’ I was totally shocked. Unlike Glitter, Saville, Jackson and even Rolf Harris.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Aung San Suu Kyi was an icon of non-violent protest against an evil regime, voluntarily suffering nearly 20 years of house arrest in Burma/Myanmar despite winning the first free election in decades in 1990 by a landslide. Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, she was an absolute inspiration to many across the world.

But after finally seizing some power since 2015, she does not seem able or willing to influence the continuing despotic behaviour of the country's armed forces and militant factions - see the Rohingya crisis. The heroine's gloss now does feel faded, though it's hard to tell what's really going on in this strange state.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Paul Weller. A hero of mine for 20+ years then met him at a do in Marylebone a few years ago. Rude, arrogant, dickhead, to just about everyone not just me. Of course in those few hours he could have just been having a bad day but his music has never seemed quite the same to me since, so I wish I’d never met him now.

Weller is notoriously grumpy. Danny Baker tells the story of how he was mentioning this in an NME article when he was pulled up by his wife Wendy, a former secretary at the NME. She wouldn't hear a bad word said about Weller because, of all the pop stars who came through the office, he was the only one who always washed up his own coffee mug.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can't mate, might upset a few on here.

I thought the problem was the missus.....

Hope you're enjoyng the close season :kiss:

Edit apols just realised this thread was bounced from years ago <sigh>

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Was that before he'd stopped drinking? I've heard from a few people that he was a total BELL but wondered if he was different after his Mrs got him off the sauce?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Continuing on the off screen antics of Peter "piss on me" Purves. I met him at the Blue Boar services when I was about 11. He was enjoying a full English and was lovely to my sister and I.

He didn't smell of Singletons wee. He smelt of blue Stratos.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I knew someone who went to a recording of TOTP , when Jimmy Saville was the compère. My mate was older than most of the in studio audience, and got talking to a cameraman, and asked him what Saville was like when he wasn’t on screen, as it were. The cameraman proceeded to slag off Saville , big time. He said he was a pervert that would shag anything, no matter what age, a or, surprisingly, sex. He also accused him of bragging about his exploits, but, getting certain staff members the sack, who had dared to criticise him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here