Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney DROPPED

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So long as Bertrand is not there as we improved when Rose came on. As it is away I would bring Dier in instead of either Lingard or Walcott who I thought were the weaker links. The problem with Rooney is that he has no designated role so doesnt know wether he is an attacking midfielder or deep lying striker.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
There was a 30 second phase in the first half that summed up Rooney for me. Based around the center circle with Malta camped in their half, he played what should have been two very simple passes to Kyle Walker on the right. The first one, he played 10 yards behind Walker and stopped all flow there, Walker had to sprint to stop it going out for a throw in. The next pass he again over hits it, but this time in front of Walker, again resulting in the ball almost going out of play when in reality it should have been a simple pass.

Two simple, basic passes, both executed so badly.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why is this even 'BREAKING NEWS' ? Rooney is nearly 31, he played 90mins on Saturday!

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Why is this even 'BREAKING NEWS' ? Rooney is nearly 31, he played 90mins on Saturday!

I agree, and this is why I always think we make far too much of the captaincy insisting on naming someone and create pressure on their subsequent inclusion or exclusion. Not fair on the player either.. Cricket does similar, and works well whilst the said player is "in form". Maybe we should have captain of the squad, based on experience, likelihood of inclusion in the squad with non-playing duties associated with it, and a match day captain selected on match by match basis based on who is actually selected on the day.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So long as Bertrand is not there as we improved when Rose came on. As it is away I would bring Dier in instead of either Lingard or Walcott who I thought were the weaker links. The problem with Rooney is that he has no designated role so doesnt know wether he is an attacking midfielder or deep lying striker.

I thought Lingard was very good, look innovative, great work rate and created space

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They were discussing Rooney on the Sunday Supplement and Neil Ashton asked his 3 guest journos whether they thought Rooney would be dropped from the starting XI, and all 3 thought he'd be IN the team. Only Ashton himself thought he'd be dropped.

The fact of the matter is that Rooney himself has conceded he hasn't got the pace to play the striker role, while Mourinho won't start Rooney in centre midfield so he won't get the game time he needs. Fair play to Southgate for having the balls to drop Rooney now so that whoever gets the manager gig full-time won't have this thorny problem to contend with. I wouldn't be surprised if Southgate was considering dropping Rooney for the Malta match but given the lack of preparation time and the quality of the opposition I reckon he parked that distraction.

The Malta game showed that Rooney hasn't got the skill required to unlock a massed defence, or the nous about how to draw the Maltese out from their entrenched position. Henderson was by far the most impressive in midfield and when Dier is available I expect that pair to be regulars for the next 2 years and beyond.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Feel sorry for the bloke.All attention is on him,picking up the slightest mistake.I don't think the sweat pouring off him was down to being unfit!
Hope Southgate will bring some of the younger players forward more,particularly my favourite,Rashford.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Feel sorry for the bloke.All attention is on him,picking up the slightest mistake.I don't think the sweat pouring off him was down to being unfit!
Hope Southgate will bring some of the younger players forward more,particularly my favourite,Rashford.

Rooney getting booed was pretty piss poor by a minority of the fans, but that shouldn't detract from the fact this is a decision that Roy Hodgson should have taken a year ago.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is he the best England qualified number 9 right now? No.

Is he the best England qualified number 10 right now? No again.

Is he the best England qualified holding midfielder? No way José.

Bench is the best he can hope for based on that. About time we stopped tinkering with the team to accommodate him.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Henderson showed Rooney how to play the role on Saturday, some quality delivery of passes, kept the ball moving quickly, made a couple of decent give and goes and burst into the box to make up the extra man, and to top it all two crosses which lead to goals.

Our game should be based around the pace of the team, Rooney slows everything down. He got caught a couple of times dawdling on the ball, and better teams would have exploited that.

He spent too much time trying to hit spectacular long passes to the wings, but didn't do the simple things at all.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Tbf he wasn't bad on Saturday but it's time for fresh blood not only Rooney.

That's the problem though, almost all his games for England he's been "not too bad" or "worked a shift". How often could you describe his performance as "mercurial" or "game changing" ?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
There was a 30 second phase in the first half that summed up Rooney for me. Based around the center circle with Malta camped in their half, he played what should have been two very simple passes to Kyle Walker on the right. The first one, he played 10 yards behind Walker and stopped all flow there, Walker had to sprint to stop it going out for a throw in. The next pass he again over hits it, but this time in front of Walker, again resulting in the ball almost going out of play when in reality it should have been a simple pass.

Two simple, basic passes, both executed so badly.

I agree, as the senior pro, you expect better but sadly it is a pretty general feature of most of our ' home-grown ' players. I made the point after Saturday that the problem is deep rooted and getting worse as each season goes by. The more creative foreign players that come into our game, the more the English players will become purely functional. Pretty handy at rolling the ball to each other in the back and middle thirds of the pitch but lacking any real creativity in the final third. As they take less and less responsibility at club level, so their ability to create something special diminishes more and more. There is little or no incisive passing in the final third. Balls are either underhit or overhit or stabbed forward more in hope than expectation and invariably they come to nothing. We are not producing players who can beat one or more opponent in a close area and create space and there are few English players who can cross the ball with any accuracy. Faced with ten men behind the ball, we tend to run out of ideas. Modern players are athletic and are better suited to the counter attack but a lot of sides are well marshalled now and can sit back with comfort.
It is an inescapable fact that most of the creativity in the final third of the pitch, in this country, comes from foreign players. The English players tend to be the supporting act. On their own and exposed, limitations are there for all to see.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

But he does know his arse from his elbow 'cos his arse is that big thing hanging from under his shorts.
Hallelujah - it's about time he was dropped completely so he isn't a negative influence on the newer players coming through. How he has survived this long I have no idea.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here