Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Steve Coppell

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
How is getting relegated and then taking the first job he was offered doing very well for us?

Look where we were in November and then the points total we finished on come May. Over the course of the final 6 months we averaged enough points to make the play offs. If memory serves me correct after the opening game under Hinshelwood we didn't win a game until Coppell lead us to a victory at home to Bradford, from there with shrewd signings and excellent tactics we were unfortunate not to escape the drop.

He left us in the automatic promotion slot the next season and let's be honest at the time Reading was far more appetising option than having another 7 seasons on a shoestring at Withdean.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
I thought he gave the best post match interviews of any manager we have had. Always directly answered the question with a considered and incisive reply. Never resorted to the trite Jingoistic response. Top thinking man for me.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
My mate sent him a text pleading with him to take the England job when Alardice got caught out! (SC is a member at his Golf Club)

How is getting relegated and then taking the first job he was offered doing very well for us?

Yeh I really don't get the regard in which he is held. Nice fella personally I'm sure

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here