Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk - England Squad

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Would Dunk be in the England squad today if Mike Dean hadn't screwed us over?

I can't help thinking he's better than Michael Keane and he's only been overlooked because it's just not the done thing to select lower tier players!

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
This thread was done a few days ago....

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Doubt it. Keane played frequently for the u21s as well as playing for the u19's & 20s. The fact he was on United's books probably works in his favour too. Very different centre backs but both very good players.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Quite simply, Michael Keane is able to show his skills in the Premier League. Lewis Dunk isn't.

That, to many in the England heirarchy, is enough. Harsh but true.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Quite simply, Michael Keane is able to show his skills in the Premier League. Lewis Dunk isn't.

Not forgetting the small matter that Keane is actually a better player than Lewis Dunk.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

And also pretty fair. Dunk has had a great start but for as long as Keane is managing Aguero levels of opposition, and Dunk isn't, he's always going to be given the nod.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not saying it proves anything, just that they prefer to put in players that have played through the ranks.

Really? Can't quote stats but it seems to me that large numbers of youth internationals never get anywhere near the full international team (or the PL for that matter).

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Is everyone also overlooking Steve Cook who is playing for B'muff, there is no doubt in Dunks ability, however there are still a few players ahead of him in the pecking order right now.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Cook's been far from infallible for Bournemouth, for what it's worth.

That said, good though Dunk has been lately, he has no right to be anywhere near the England squad currently, in my opinion. He's had a very good start to 2016/17, but that's it! It's only about fifteen games ago that he got a daft red card against Derby, which arguably had a significant impact on our promotion chances. I'd want him to maintain his current level of play for a lot longer before I even contemplated him playing international football.

Might be different if he had some sort of Northern Irish, Welsh or Scottish blood in there: he'd stand a chance with their limited pool of players, and the fact that their squads are filled with Championship footballers. But England, no matter how shite they are, have a far bigger pool to choose from, which means they're not going to pick Championship centre halves.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Would Dunk be in the England squad today if Mike Dean hadn't screwed us over?

I can't help thinking he's better than Michael Keane and he's only been overlooked because it's just not the done thing to select lower tier players!

Perhaps if he hadn't got himself a ridiculous ban, and had been playing that day, things might have panned out differently.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'd love to see Dunk appear for the national team, at whatever level past, present or future.

The issue is, he's a Championship defender, and the full national squad don't want to know. If we/he get to the PL then he may have an outside chance, but not until then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here