Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dog Re-homing

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games
Looking to re-home an abused/abandoned dog from the local RSPCA. Just looking to pick the collectives mind with regards to good/bad experiences. Had several dogs in past but never from a rescue centre. Thanks in advance for all comments and the inevitable name suggestions.

I will be looking for a decent BHAFC collar too, if anyone knows where I can order one.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You'll get good anecdotal advice on here but best thing is to have a good conversation with the RSPCA or even the Dogs Trust in Shoreham.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I have just rehomed a dog from the RSPCA, a 4 month old 'Springerdor'.

Dog's a nutter.

Took a few months and found that the dog's trust were very fussy about who they accepted. RSPCA were more understanding and lenient. You'll need to get home checked which can be arranged through the RSPCA, this will then be accepted anywhere.

Good luck, the act if looking is heart breaking but so worth it.

Last edited:

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games
I have just rehomed a dog from the RSPCA, a 4 month old 'Springerdor'.

Dog's a nutter.

I have no idea what a Springerdor is, assuming he's got springer spaniel in him he's bound to be a bit on the mental side of the scale. Had a jack russell/springer cross once, she was proper mental, am sure she was on speed or something, never moved any slower than 400 mph

Eggmundo

Jul 8, 2003
5FD6E5E1-5C76-4D50-821B-EDBE7AFF6B23.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've been looking at the various dog rehoming places recently. One problem, for us at least, is that for nearly every dog they either say "adults only" or "children over 14 only", and we have a 6-y-o.

I'm guessing in most cases there are no known problems with kids, it's more that the dogs haven't been with children before. I'm assuming the rescue places wouldn't home such a dog with children.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I've been looking at the various dog rehoming places recently. One problem, for us at least, is that for nearly every dog they either say "adults only" or "children over 14 only", and we have a 6-y-o.

I'm guessing in most cases there are no known problems with kids, it's more that the dogs haven't been with children before. I'm assuming the rescue places wouldn't home such a dog with children.

My daughter wanted a rescue dog, and found the RSPCA, in particular, very difficult. As you say, objections to children, a cat, or even that she worked part-time, were raised. I have heard criticism of the RSPCA, that they would rather put dogs down, than rehome them.

She went to a Labrador rescue centre, and got a gorgeous dog who was 5 years old, and is brilliant with the grandchildren, and since got another one from them.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Make sure that wherever you get the dog from, gives you a full history of the dog, in particular if it has been sent out to other homes and returned. My wife and I rescued a dog in Liverpool from Dogs Trust and only after we were having problems with it did they tell us that it had been rehoused by them several times. The poor dog was extremely traumatised and had obviously been treated badly on occasions. It had terrible separation anxiety and actually managed to eat quite a large portion of our dining room door would you believe. Unfortunately we had to return it ourselves. It cost us a lot of money, damaged our house, ate my wife's insoles (!) and ended up biting both of us badly when we were travelling back from a visit from Sussex to Liverpool. We loved that dog, but it was messed up.

matt

Mar 19, 2007

We got one of our dogs from here: http://www.pupsneedinghomes.co.uk/ and my daughter was 6 or 7 at the time. They have pups and older dogs, and after a house/garden inspection it was all pretty straightforward. Good luck (y)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
My daughter wanted a rescue dog, and found the RSPCA, in particular, very difficult. As you say, objections to children, a cat, or even that she worked part-time, were raised. I have heard criticism of the RSPCA, that they would rather put dogs down, than rehome them.

She went to a Labrador rescue centre, and got a gorgeous dog who was 5 years old, and is brilliant with the grandchildren, and since got another one from them.

The RSPCA are beyond difficult. We wanted a couple of cats and because we had children and worked full time they refused to even discuss the possibility. Went to the Cats Protection League and they were far more understanding.

The two kittens we ended up getting were fine and are still going strong after 13 years. The RSPCA seem to think they really are the guardians of animals and animal law. I won't even detail their dodgy dealings with commercial partners and the things the Charity Commission have said about them. Needless to say I don't donate to them nor will I consider taking an animal from them.

Eggmundo

Jul 8, 2003
Surely the act of boycotting a charitable rescue centre is more damaging to the animals than those running it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

FFS [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION], why make me look here:-

http://www.labrador-rescue.org.uk/dogs.html
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] obviously with young children it's all about the dogs temperament, for which the start off point has to be Labrador.

This bears out through being a postie, in all my years I've never seen a lab or lab retriever who hasn't been pleased to see me!
Even the ones 'who like a bark' it only ever is in order to remind you to stroke them.

"have the contents of the house, just tickle my ear, first".

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This bears out through being a postie, in all my years I've never seen a lab or lab retriever who hasn't been pleased to see me!

Haha! Many moons ago, I started my working life as a postie. To this day, those experiences have coloured my judgement as to which breeds of dogs I trust and like.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

No rehousing organisation worth its sorts would recommend a dog for small children

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We got our dog from Raystede nigh on 8 years ago and have not had a single problem with her. They did do a home check but there were no problems. She was apparently given up because she used to fight with her siblings when she was a puppy (she was just over 1 when we took her), but we've not had any issues with her when meeting other dogs.

Raystede

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Make sure that wherever you get the dog from, gives you a full history of the dog, in particular if it has been sent out to other homes and returned. My wife and I rescued a dog in Liverpool from Dogs Trust and only after we were having problems with it did they tell us that it had been rehoused by them several times. The poor dog was extremely traumatised and had obviously been treated badly on occasions. It had terrible separation anxiety and actually managed to eat quite a large portion of our dining room door would you believe. Unfortunately we had to return it ourselves. It cost us a lot of money, damaged our house, ate my wife's insoles (!) and ended up biting both of us badly when we were travelling back from a visit from Sussex to Liverpool. We loved that dog, but it was messed up.

It's interesting how many dogs go off the rails after a visit to Merseyside. My friends labradoodle similarly changed, its hair became curly almost perm like and it stopped responding to commands like 'settle' and 'calm down'. More worryingly it started fights with other dogs in their local park. The last straw was when it developed a taste for chewing car tyres and left several neighbours vehicles essentially without wheels. Took it to a rescue home, last they heard it was still there but they'd dyed its coat an orangey-brown from its natural white to make it more appealing to potential new owners apparently. Bizarre as that sounds...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's interesting how many dogs go off the rails after a visit to Merseyside. My friends labradoodle similarly changed, its hair became curly almost perm like and it stopped responding to commands like 'settle' and 'calm down'. More worryingly it started fights with other dogs in their local park. The last straw was when it developed a taste for chewing car tyres and left several neighbours vehicles essentially without wheels. Took it to a rescue home, last they heard it was still there but they'd dyed its coat an orangey-brown from its natural white to make it more appealing to potential new owners apparently. Bizarre as that sounds...
I was waiting for that! [emoji3]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here