Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Passport advice

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Looks likely I'll be travelling to Boston (New England) on Thursday 3rd November flying back on Sunday 6th and arriving back in London Monday 7th November.

Coincidentally my current passport expires on November 7th.

The Home Office website states the following:-

Passport validity
Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. You don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.

The question is should I renew now and get a new passport or use it to it's expiry.

Thoughts or previous experiences welcomed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its USA, so you may well need 6 months on it. [edit] - apparently not.

Don't forget to get your ESTA.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i gather you will have a world of hassle with a near expired passport, whatever the official guidance. renew.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I suppose the one potential pitfall of doing this, is if for any reason your flight gets cancelled or delayed you may have a problem.

Yep...personally, I'd go for getting a new passport before travelling - you have enough time. .gov.uk says that you'll get it back within 3 weeks using their standard service (£72.50), or you can pay £103 for the 1-week fast track service (which also requires a visit to the passport office).

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yep...personally, I'd go for getting a new passport before travelling - you have enough time. .gov.uk says that you'll get it back within 3 weeks using their standard service (£72.50), or you can pay £103 for the 1-week fast track service (which also requires a visit to the passport office).

If I were to renew would I be required to renew my ESTA as it's linked to my old passport? I renewed by ESTA Oct 15 but presumably, it's not given me the usual two years as my passport expired within 13 months so the expiry date matches that of my existing passport.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If I were to renew would I be required to renew my ESTA as it's linked to my old passport? I renewed by ESTA Oct 15 but presumably, it's not given me the usual two years as my passport expired within 13 months so the expiry date matches that of my existing passport.

Yep, you would (99% sure)... easy enough to do online though...

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

If you've got to go there you may as well do the one-day passport? Unless that is much more costly?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If you've got to go there you may as well do the one-day passport? Unless that is much more costly?

It's def more (£30-40, from memory), and you have to hang around for a few hours while they do their stuff.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Today is 7 October. You have time to renew, heck you've got to renew sometime so why not now.
On the other hand you could hope for the best, get to check-in and be turned away.
I know what I'd do. Start filling in the form now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My passport was due to run out in January. I renewed online, posted it from the PO, the following morning and got it back within a week, and it's valid until February 2027, so I haven't lost any months.
It's simple as long as the photo is ok.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Renew. It's not peak season for this so turnaround will be well inside the 3 weeks.

The only risk might be your photo failing the rather strict rules. Best to use somewhere that knows what they're doing so it gets through the first time.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We always use post office check and send. Never had a passport returned and never waited more than 10 days for it. Well worth paying for this service. Plus they have photo booths.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

New passport requires new esta.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here