Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Salient point. During the post vote years, the lovely Anna Holligan and Katya Adler in their BBC24 EU chats mentioned many times that Germany, its politicians and business leaders respected and loved doing business with the UK. They said exactly the same for the Netherlands and Nordic nations. A natural affinity of getting things done. Whereas the French were seen as obstinate, uncompromising in a bad way, with petty bureaucracies.

The first bit was heart warming. The factual nitty gritty. The antithesis of they’re our adversaries propaganda, from bad actors.
Surprisingly despite going on multiple people's vote marches and a former rabid remainer I'm not a re-joiner, I find those people unrealistic at this stage.

But we have to have a better trading relationship with the EU, anything other than the customs union is really piecemeal.

No trade deal signed to date has offered us much (government own figures), some are actually worse than the EU arrangement.

China trade deal - think forget it

India - more immigration? Politically a non starter

US - Biden isn't bothered and Trump would screw us over completely

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Surprisingly despite going on multiple people's vote marches and a former rabid remainer I'm not a re-joiner, I find those people unrealistic at this stage.

But we have to have a better trading relationship with the EU, anything other than the customs union is really piecemeal.

No trade deal signed to date has offered us much (government own figures), some are actually worse than the EU arrangement.

My initial aspiration is for a trade/economic union. I realise that France and von der Leyen types will never grant Norway or Switzerland esque agreements, but I think something can be done. It won’t happen under this UK government as the party is riddled with EU haters.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I think all of those factors were "known knowns' at the date of the Brexit Referendum (knowing that 5 months before the election Trump was always likely to win The White House.)

Even worse, anyone who understood the EU knew they weren't going to give us the Single Market for nothing. All that talk of "they need us more than we need them" was always complete hogwash.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
The farce continues to get worse daily, with the Government throwing ever increasing amounts of money at it :facepalm:

'Absolute mess': New £24m Brexit border post could be demolished​

The facility at Portsmouth International Port is due to begin physical checks on food and plant imports from the EU at the end of next month, but changes to border protocols since it was built mean half of the building will never be used. As a consequence, half of the 14 loading bays will never be used, and annual running costs of £800,000 a year will not be covered by the fees charged to importers for carrying out checks.

Portsmouth is not alone, with ports across the country puzzling over how to make the over-sized, over-specified buildings commissioned by the government pay for themselves with far less traffic.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/new...1&cvid=b7082de76ea74dbca0cdb0c39e22e55b&ei=22

It's just as well that the British economy is in such fine fettle with us having to subsidise this ongoing idiocy with ever increasing financial sums, because we definitely wouldn't want to call a halt to this escalating disaster, would we :dunce:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The farce continues to get worse daily, with the Government throwing ever increasing amounts of money at it :facepalm:

'Absolute mess': New £24m Brexit border post could be demolished​

The facility at Portsmouth International Port is due to begin physical checks on food and plant imports from the EU at the end of next month, but changes to border protocols since it was built mean half of the building will never be used. As a consequence, half of the 14 loading bays will never be used, and annual running costs of £800,000 a year will not be covered by the fees charged to importers for carrying out checks.

Portsmouth is not alone, with ports across the country puzzling over how to make the over-sized, over-specified buildings commissioned by the government pay for themselves with far less traffic.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/new...1&cvid=b7082de76ea74dbca0cdb0c39e22e55b&ei=22

It's just as well that the British economy is in such fine fettle with us having to subsidise this ongoing idiocy with ever increasing financial sums, because we definitely wouldn't want to call a halt to this escalating disaster, would we :dunce:
I always thought this extra capacity was built because of the higher number of goods entering and leaving the UK as a result of these worldwide free trade deals we would be signing having finally been unshackled from the EU yolk.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I always thought this extra capacity was built because of the higher number of goods entering and leaving the UK as a result of these worldwide free trade deals we would be signing having finally been unshackled from the EU yolk.

And the extra money from all this new business was going to pay for the 100,000 extra civil servants that we have employed as a direct result of Brexit

Civil service nearly 100k bigger since Brexit but 'no clear vision' of policy, report warns​

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/civil-service-nearly-100k-bigger-since-brexit/

There's no clear vision because Johnson and Sunak disbanded the Brexit department at the first opportunity and spread all the functions into the Cabinet Office, Home Office, Foreign Office and DEFRA to try and hide the huge costs.
Just another £3B every year to find for the administration of their 'brilliant' idea then :shrug:

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here