Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
#TeamBrexit.

But then again I do own a job lot of Jason DonerVan CD's

[tweet]1179392949899145217[/tweet]

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The government pushing through a no-deal Brexit will not have a pretty ending, remembering that "Remain" has the vast bulk of the younger, fitter, more-rioty populace on its side...

I really do hope it doesn't come to civil disobedience but I fear it might and the break up of the United Kingdom

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Interestingly despite all the recent unprecedented legal and political shock waves hitting the government, the Tories still lead in the polls Con 34 (+1) Lab 21 (-1) Lib 23 (+2) - YouGov (30 Sep - 1st Oct). Before [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] puts on her tinfoil hat regarding imaginary YouGov bias .. Opinium in the Observer gave the Tories a 12 point lead in their last poll.

.... they still have a repugnant leader though.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
There are two democratic mandates to leave the EU, the 2016 referendum and the 2017 General election ... how many democratic results does it take before it's ok to leave?

In the UK the result of a previous election is wiped when a new one is held, and every seat is up for election as a result. Why should an election in 2017 take priority over an election in 2019?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
try believing in this country and its inhabitants it will be good for your soul.

Genuine question, are you someone who also extols the virtue of homeopathy over pharmaceutical medicines? Only it's exactly the same theory to say if you believe in the homeopathy and ignore the evidence of the pharmaceutical medicines everything will be fine.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Would that not be unlawful again or would they have to start the law process all over again leading up to the Supreme Court.

This one is fine, they're only missing five sitting days, which is normal. It means Johnson won't face PMQs again though, which will suit him down to the ground as he's hopeless at it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Frictionless trade was once the Tories favourite buzz word, not anymore...

View attachment 115837

Does this make Scottish independence more likely?

nice diagram. steps 3 to 5 are not necessary, step 6 is for the RoI to determine whether or not they believe the paperwork is in order. i wonder how different this is in practice to present process.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You and I are of course are going round and round in circles but my general argument would be, as before, that many - maybe most - of the manifesto commitments that people vote for in general elections are overtaken by events and taken off the table long before they are enacted.

More specifically, I understand the point you are making but the fact is that parliament tried very hard to implement the Brexit that people voted for but it became very obvious very quickly that it simply didn't exist. From that point on achieving some form of Brexit became an exercise in interpretation. Different people had different views about what it actually was and the outcome was impasse. (The obvious cause of this was the actions of the ERG but I don't criticise them. They, like many people of principle, had a view and they stuck to it.)

Now that people understand more clearly it hardly seems undemocratic to place the specific variants - there are two obvious ones - before the people and ask them to confirm which, of any, they would like.

As I said before, I would accept your criticism of the LibDems if they were planning to revoke without a democratic mandate. As it is, bearing in mind the non-existence of the form of Brexit people voted for, I would say that they are far more democratic than, for example, the appalling Boris Johnson and his operator.

Your general argument gives politicians a free reign to lie and promise whatever they want in manifestos knowing they can renege on major promises no matter how central or significant in getting our votes by saying circumstances have changed.

Parliament did no such thing. They collectively voted against any option that would provide a solution in many cases prioritising party advantage over honouring promises and manifesto commitments. As you don't know what type of Brexit people voted for how do you know it doesn't exist? Just to mention the ERG are much lower in numbers than the huge majority against the WA in the first two votes also many of the ERG including Mogg did vote for the WA in the final vote.

There are a significant number of leavers, a majority in some polls who would accept no deal, there is no agreed alternative deal at this point so what options would this second referendum have on the ballot paper? Btw if you think the first referendum was unpleasant/ toxic good luck with a second one ….

I have no concerns about Lib Dems being in a position to revoke anything but I do criticise their breathtaking arrogance re no longer accepting democratic results unless they get their way. Once again you don't know what type of Brexit people voted for so can't know if it was achievable or not.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not very Cleverly was on the radio talking about the "people of Northern Ireland" when all he was referring to was the DUP :)

They had to correct him a couple of times.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1567419550681.jpg
    FB_IMG_1567419550681.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 87

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Frictionless trade was once the Tories favourite buzz word, not anymore...

View attachment 115837

Does this make Scottish independence more likely?

Why would a Scottish beef farmer export their beef to NI to get it to the EU ?

The government pushing through a no-deal Brexit will not have a pretty ending, remembering that "Remain" has the vast bulk of the younger, fitter, more-rioty populace on its side...

Wow - strange that when a leaver suggests there will be blood on the streets if we don't leave then remainers jump on them immediately …. yet now a remainer is suggesting there will be violence from remainers if a no deal goes through is unchallenged by those same remainers.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
FFS. Those numbers and that vote is so ****ing old now. What other ancient votes would you like us to adhere to? Wake up and get with the times. That vote will have taken place in the previous DECADE in a few months time.

And yet YOU want to abide by a vote that took place in 1975 …… before you were even a unfortunate twinkle in your Mum's eye !

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Nice dismissal of the Welsh vote in your post.

Which according to recent Oxford University research was down to English retirees - 650,000 people live in Wales who were born in England and Wales voted by just 82,000 to Leave.

D

Deleted member 2719

FFS. Those numbers and that vote is so ****ing old now. What other ancient votes would you like us to adhere to? Wake up and get with the times. That vote will have taken place in the previous DECADE in a few months time.

What would you like to do?

Vote on a weekly basis to keep it up to date?

3 years are too long but we have had 3/4 of parliament to thank for that, and a load of muppets running around with Bolloxs to Brexit banners.

Was one of them, YOU Plooks???

GET BREXIT DONE.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As Johnson's letter says:

We are proposing that the Northern Irish Executive and Assembly should have the opportunity to endorse those arrangements before they enter into force, that is, during the transition period, and every 4 years afterwards. If consent is not secured, the arrangements will lapse. The same should apply to the Single Electricity Market, which raises the same principles.

It's just all set up to be rejected. Reading The DUP's initial statement, I don't think they've read Johnson's letter before issuing it, or if they have they're not bothered as they must know it's not going to be a runner with Dublin, The EU and Sinn Fein.

DUP are irrelevant now, they are trying to stay in the Governments good books for the next pay out.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
DUP are irrelevant now, they are trying to stay in the Governments good books for the next pay out.

Never mind just The DUP, if these proposals involve the Northern Irish Executive and Assembly having power over it all, Sinn Fein should have been consulted and agreed to first as well. The utter ignorant disdain of these Brexit, English nationalists in the Tory Party is incredible.

D

Deleted member 2719

Priti will taser the lot of you, with any luck.

She won't put up with activists that don't accept the rules.

Do you really want to stand up against the winning 17million just because you lost?

If you feel that strong about it feck off to France.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
What would you like to do?

Vote on a weekly basis to keep it up to date?

3 years are too long but we have had 3/4 of parliament to thank for that, and a load of muppets running around with Bolloxs to Brexit banners.

Was one of them, YOU Plooks???

GET BREXIT DONE.

It's like he's become a Poundland Ppf...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Priti will taser the lot of you, with any luck.

She won't put up with activists that don't accept the rules.

Do you really want to stand up against the winning 17million just because you lost?

If you feel that strong about it feck off to France.
This is one of the better comedy spoof accounts.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here