Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It is being suggested that Boris will ask one leader to reject it but he refused to answer the question about that possibility.

If the pair of you think that your best chance of a 'no deal' is an unsubstantiated rumour of a split in the EU agreeing an extension, then good luck with that.

Fill yer boots :lolol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If the pair of you think that your best chance of a 'no deal' is an unsubstantiated rumour of a split in the EU agreeing an extension, then good luck with that.

Fill yer boots :lolol:

Good grief :facepalm: So you deny that Macron wanted to reject the previous request, then wanted a shorter extension than six months and was finally talked around by Merkel ? What I want / hope is irrelevent .... what is important is what the UK government and the EU do. But of course you being a massive ex-supplier to government and a WTO expert means you know better :lol:

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
That would be breaking the law.

Why?
The French don't like us, and the Hungarians are one of our few allies in the EU, so if BJ asks them to vote against an extension, I think they will.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
The French don't like us, and the Hungarians are one of our few allies in the EU, so if BJ asks them to vote against an extension, I think they will.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

But he can't ask them that as it would be breaking the law.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
That would be breaking the law.

No it wouldn't - the act only tells Johnson what he MUST do. It doesn't prevent him from ringing Macron and saying "Don't agree to the extension request when I ask for it.".

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
No it wouldn't - the act only tells Johnson what he MUST do. It doesn't prevent him from ringing Macron and saying "Don't agree to the extension request when I ask for it.".

Yes, that's what the Benn act says, but it is not an option for the Government (or even just a Minister) doing something that frustrates an act of Parliament.

That is exactly what writing a second letter would do, and is why that's not an option.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
I see the #teameu theme for today is the liberal left berating and patronising the gullible thickies at the bottom for not voting for the status quo while banging on about how they are too stupid to know they are being manipulated by the rich elites.... George Osborne, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley et al thank you for your ongoing work ... :facepalm::rolleyes::lolol:

As a spokesperson for the non gullible, non thickies at the bottom, what aspects of life do you think will be improved for us/you/them by exiting the EU?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Yes, that's what the Benn act says, but it is not an option for the Government (or even just a Minister) doing something that frustrates an act of Parliament.

That is exactly what writing a second letter would do, and is why that's not an option.

I'm sorry but that's rubbish. Care to show me the wording in the Act that prevents Johnson from speaking to another EU leader to get the request rejected ? He HAS to ask for one and then there are some conditions around what he has to do IF the EU say yes. There is nothing to prevent him from making sure the EU reject the request.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I'm sorry but that's rubbish. Care to show me the wording in the Act that prevents Johnson from speaking to another EU leader to get the request rejected ? He HAS to ask for one and then there are some conditions around what he has to do IF the EU say yes. There is nothing to prevent him from making sure the EU reject the request.

I think you've misunderstood me, the Benn act doesn't say this, this is already the law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padfield_v_Minister_of_Agriculture

This is the case that made it plain as day. Hope this clarifies what I meant.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Am I understanding this right? Alexander Boris de Piffle bungle**** Johnson is considering sabotaging his own request for an Article 50 extension? Acting in bad faith just doesn't cover that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Maybe this is possible. But do you really and truly believe any country in the EU would agree to anything Boris asked for? This isn’t going to happen even if it was legal.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Am I understanding this right? Alexander Boris de Piffle bungle**** Johnson is considering sabotaging his own request for an Article 50 extension? Acting in bad faith just doesn't cover that.

If it means getting his own way, then I wouldn't put anything past him. It's almost sociopathic in his desire for pushing through a no-deal.

I want to be proved wrong by him, I really do.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Am I understanding this right? John Look-At-Me Sexist Bully bungle**** Bercow is considering sabotaging Brexit by any means fair or foul, despite 'his' parliament voting for a referendum and voting to honour the result? Acting in bad faith just doesn't cover that.

Just saying like, for balance..............................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here