Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Pretty much every sector reliant on the supply chain and indirect sales that come from serving that horrible big business stuff.

It's the way of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to work for Capita - biggest outsourcer in the UK. Yet we did very little business with any businesses within the EU. India, USA, Australia and even South Africa but bugger all with the EU. So given Capita employ 60k+ people which of their jobs will be lost ? It's a smokescreen or even a down right lie.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Forecasts are not purely subjective, they are based upon evidence and trend data. You had better be voting based on that and not on your heart.

Claims that we will be able to spend £23 million a day on ourselves are not facts. They are distorted claims.

Now back to work for me.

No actually that's the treasury published Net figure for 2015.... sorry chap, those are the figures.... they are a matter of record.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Because they won't have any work.

In fact, they will, but you'll see an increase in zero hours contracts and take home will go down. Coupled with the disgraceful dismantling of welfare in this country you'll see as many people in work, but working for less - so more sinking into poverty.

Not my subjective views. The objective views of economists based on the data available.

Well they might be better off. If big business cuts more staff their service will suffer. Maybe the staff that lost their jobs could set up their own business and offer a better service and a better rate of pay for themselves.
They would probably also contribute more to society and the economy.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
You can stick your EU Directives where the sun don't shine, I'm voting OUT.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We can control migration from the EU once we leave.

Can we? None of the other countries in western Europe (that are not in the EU) such as Norway and Switzerland can, as it's a condition of trading with the EU.

I'd also argue that we don't need to (any more than we do already), but I guess you won't buy that.

I'd personally rather not chuck out all of the hard working tax paying foreign immigrants and bring back all of the millions of pensioners that live in Spain as I believe it will significantly harm our economy. Not that this would happen anyway.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Or just the people you hang around with. I haven't met a single person who's voting out. That includes everyone I work with and all my friends and family.

Well 45% of NSCers are voting out. Everyone I know is voting out, including me and all my family.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Out for a few reasons.

I have more belief in this country and it's people's ability to thrive as a more independent nation just like the vast majority of other countries in the world, than those who are happy to defer to an EU overlord.

Prefer to have the chance to vote out the people who make the policies and laws that effect this country.

I would rather this country retain some sort of unique British identity rather than be subsumed into a multicultural mish mash.

Cooperation and partnership with our friends in Europe does not have to be conducted through an ever expanding all encompassing political project which is causing instability across Europe.

I welcome controlled immigration but we haven't got it. Immigration is too high over 50% of the public think this is a concern only by voting out do we regain the power to stem the flow.

I would rather the insufficient housing stock and any future builds be prioritised for UK citizens. Same goes for jobs.

This is a once in a lifetime chance they won't let us near real power ever again, far to risky, so think long term ... an inevitable drive to a Superstate including Turkey. There's another 70 million potential new UK citizens. Probably be bullied into having the Euro using the same doomsday arguments by the same vested interests at some point.

We can better spend the £13 Billion we sent to Brussels last year on projects like the NHS or revitalising a UK steel industry.

For those who are more anti establishment/ big business minded perhaps ask why the UK/European elites combined with big business all want us to stay in and threaten numerous doomsday scenarios if we dare think differently.

This will be the only chance we will ever get to exercise true direct power over the future of this country it would be a shame to do as we're told.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Another one here for everyone I know is voting IN including all my colleagues, friends and family. Does seem to be one or the other.

In addition to this there does seem to be a very small group of swing undecided voters, people already had an opinion and it doesn't seem like there has been much budging of those opinions?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Or just the people you hang around with. I haven't met a single person who's voting out. That includes everyone I work with and all my friends and family.

Me too. The only outers I have 'interacted' with are some folk on NSC :shrug:

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
It's very very far from subjective. It's based on cold data. It's based on the risk analysis that has been carried out by the major accountancy firms.

I can be subjective if you like and talk about my belief that as Europeans we are better together, but the hit the economy will take and the fact that the rich will be least impacted by that is just based on the numbers.

The hole point is we are NOT Europeans we are British!!

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
If the Remains feel the EU is so important, why don't you accept the Euro as our currency then?

Because they're different debates? :shrug:

Because I (and others in the Remain camp) believe that Remaining in the EU is better for the British economy than leaving it, and that keeping Sterling as our currency is better for it than joining the Euro....?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Another one here for everyone I know is voting IN including all my colleagues, friends and family. Does seem to be one or the other.

In other words we all know people who are voting IN and also know people who are voting OUT.

I personally not interested how others vote and will not, like the government, try to propaganda them to my point of view.

We all have our opinions and a vote and result will be as it is, just as it should be.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Because they're different debates? :shrug:

Because I (and others in the Remain camp) believe that Remaining in the EU is better for the British economy than leaving it, and that keeping Sterling as our currency is better for it than joining the Euro....?

You cant be serious, you would have been squealing telling us all the Euro was in the best interests of the British at the time, absolutely squealing, c'mon .....................

Bizarrely the Remains, of which the vast majority would of wanted to join, use the same logic to tell us Outers why we should stay in this time.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'll vote IN and that won't change.

However, I think the country will vote OUT, the economy will collapse and it'll be a terrible time for job losses. Putin will grin like a Cheshire Cat at the result.

At the end of the day though, the sun will still come up, Monday will still follow Sunday, and we'll survive.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
You cant be serious, you would have been squealing telling us all the Euro was in the best interests of the British at the time, absolutely squealing, c'mon .....................

Bizarrely the Remains, of which the vast majority would of wanted to join, use the same logic to tell us Outers why we should stay in this time.

The currency and the single market are two completely separate things, so listing the benefits of the single market simply wouldn't make any sense as an argument/logic to join the Euro.

Or were you just jumping to a massive generalisation because that's easier when you're in the anti-EU camp?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Out for a few reasons.

snip .

As you know, I started out inclined to vote 'in', but late in the evening after I've had a few, I get the urge to vote 'out'. In some respects this probably sums up how I feel about it all. I'm not a 'patriotic European' who 'loves my Continent'. But I feel like voting 'out' only when I'm feeling a bit reckless.

As I scanned down your list of reasons, I largely felt 'meh'. Till I read the bit about being bullied into adopting the Euro. Then I laughed. That is NEVER going to happen. That or PPF posting a three sentence message to the good people of NSC - in French.

I agree with you that we are not dealing with immigration properly, but I don't see how leaving will help. Yes we would be able to 'control' things, but we will still need Kent to be AWASH with East Europeans or the fruit will rot (I know, I live in the Garden of England). And as has been said many times, the Frech think they are doing us a massive favour by allowing us to man the frontier in Calais, parking the punters in pursuit of British social security in French fields. That will all go if we flounce off, and the border will move to points north (Dover, Newhaven, Ramsgate, etc).

Everything else is just guesswork, and I need a MASSIVE reason to gamble on change being the answer. I'd no more guess that change is the thing in this instance than I would bet money on anything by way of gambling (when sober). I'm a vicar, not a bookie, to steal the terminology of an excellent political journalist whose name escapes me.

I think you are trusting your gut, here, and retrofilling a logical justification as best you can. Good try, though. I will probably warm to your persuasion after I have dipped into my wine lake, later this evening. And (to misquote Churchill) in the morning, I'll be sober again. :wave:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In other words we all know people who are voting IN and also know people who are voting OUT.

I personally not interested how others vote and will not, like the government, try to propaganda them to my point of view.

We all have our opinions and a vote and result will be as it is, just as it should be.

I honestly don't know how most people I know are voting. I haven't really even discussed it with the wife yet. I've not really bought it up with many people. Are lots of people genuinely talking about it with family and friends? Like you, I'm sensing that a lot of people aren't interested how their friends and family are voting, or at least treating it as quite a private matter.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here