Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Quote Originally Posted by LadySeagull

Voted LEAVE the first time, would vote LEAVE the 2nd time.

Literally nothing has happened in the last couple of years that has made me even think about changing my vote - in fact the antics of the EU have reinforced my view.

The antics of the EU? Rather than the utter cluster**** of our own politicians? Do you walk around with a bag on your head and noise cancelling headphones, or perhaps just read The Daily Mail on a regular basis?

Either way.

Wow.

Wow back at you.

No is the answer to your crass questions. Usual crap from a remainer.

Did I say I liked the balls up that the Government and the useless 'opposition' have manged to achieve/?

No, it's a disaster and an embarrassment. Do we agree on that?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So you're Brexit at any cost and happy to see the UK get broken up, so long as Little England is out of the evil clutches of The EU?

Brexit at any cost? No, war, famine, nuclear annihilation etc no thanks. But I have long held the view that the UK is an outdated idea and that the 4 comprising nations (sorry Trig, England is a country! :ffsparr:) would evolve a more grown up relationship with one-another. Of course, if one is tied to past ideas of empire and glory, then the idea of the UK breaking up would be most unpalatable.

And who said the EU is evil? I certainly didn't and nor do I see it as a question of good and evil. It is a pity that such emotive terms are used as they do nothing to help the discussion.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No one has yet explained to me what a second referendum on whether to leave would achieve?

I could get behind one that listed all of the options to leave as we have already decided to do that, but why would we vote again on whether to remain or not? We have said that already.

Say we had one and Remain won by 52% to 48% as I think is very possible. What then?

The issue isn't in the original vote, it's in the inability of the largely remain supporting MPs to accept it.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
[tweet]1105841785996300288[/tweet]

I do feel that, in the interests of a balanced debate,we should post some good news from the EU as well.The Greek economy is now the best performer in the EU according to the IMF.Their economy is now only 24% smaller than it was 10 years ago,adult unemployment is down to 18.5%,and youth unemployment is a miniscule 40%!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Brexit at any cost? No, war, famine, nuclear annihilation etc no thanks. But I have long held the view that the UK is an outdated idea and that the 4 comprising nations (sorry Trig, England is a country! :ffsparr:) would evolve a more grown up relationship with one-another. Of course, if one is tied to past ideas of empire and glory, then the idea of the UK breaking up would be most unpalatable.

And who said the EU is evil? I certainly didn't and nor do I see it as a question of good and evil. It is a pity that such emotive terms are used as they do nothing to help the discussion.

I'm sure Putin would approve of a UK break up, the weaker we are the better..

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I agree with you but this shitstorm should have only been possible by a massive Leave vote not the very narrow one it was.

If you've got a spare $1.5 million,you won't notice such a small amount if you donate it to REMF.Such a small number.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Promises about "the single most important decision post war" have been broken since basically the morning after the referendum. Ultimately they were manifesto promises, and if they end up being broken then so be it, that's the nature of them. Events, dear boy.

You appear to be highly subjective about which 'promises' you believe are acceptably broken and which are not. They appear to follow this premise:

Anything in a manifeso=fair game even if the 'promises' unfairly influence the way in which people may vote in the election.
Anything in a referendum campaign= unfair as the 'promises' influenced the way that people voted.

It is hardly surprising that the 'promises' being broken objection happens to coincide with an objection to the end result. I hardly think you would enjoy the phrase 'and if they end up being broken then so be it, that's the nature of them. Events, dear boy. being applied as an explanation or excuse for the awful campaign method employed by some in the leave camp. However for the sake of consistency, it is a live by the sword, die by the sword situation. Dear boy.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Remain would not win a second referendum.

Most remainers I've read about (on here, in loads of articles - no, not in the Daily Mail - and talking to friends and colleagues) just don't want to know why people voted (and will vote) leave. Remainers do not get it, did not expect it, have made no effort to understand the views of people like me and simply branded us thick or uninformed. Well that's why the same will happen again, if a new referendum occurs.

It is stupidity to repeat the same behaviour expecting a different outcome. There would not be a different outcome because no remainer I've seen has bothered to try to understand all the different reasons up and down the country, that led to a 'leave' majority. Also, anyone who was on the fence before cannot possibly be on the fence now, and the 'on the fencers' voted for the status quo, as you would if unsure. Some of those will have shifted to a leave perspective in the past 2 years.

Whilst you might not be willing or able to listen to or attempt to understand why intelligent people (yep, like me) voted 'leave', by contrast, I can understand why most people I know voted remain. Usually they say things like they have family abroad/have a European wife, etc. I get that. It was about what was best for them in their bubble.

I voted because I believe leaving the EU would be better for the Country and I still believe that. Three of my kids are scientists, either employed or students, who will always need to collaborate abroad - and I still voted to leave. And they were on the fence remainers in 2016, didn't know enough about the issue.

Two of them would now vote leave.

I wasn't expecting the resulting mixture of sabotage and cock up though.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
How on earth do you know this - I've no idea what I posted on here last week!

On a serious note, how can you not remember something so fundamental as hoping for another referendum so shortly after the first whilst then somehow finding justification today, you didn't really have any original 'justification' then as you don't today it's your way of deluding yourself that you are not anti democratic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And I'm sure they won't be manufactured by Rolls Royce Deutchland?

I’m not sure where they’re being made but it’s been announced over here that the life-time servicing deal, which I understand is the more lucrative part of the contract, is going to be at Rolls Royce Thüringen. Isn’t Rolls ultimately German owned anyway? I lose track.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’m not sure where they’re being made but it’s been announced over here that the life-time servicing deal, which I understand is the more lucrative part of the contract, is going to be at Rolls Royce Thüringen. Isn’t Rolls ultimately German owned anyway? I lose track.

BMW owns Rolls Royce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here