Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Any suggestions for this weighty deed?
Ed Davey...

As always, you make such well researched, knowledgeable and erudite cases for carrying on regardless and totally ignoring the issues from Brexit. After all when you voted for this, I'm sure you put in just as much research and analysis to understand that this is exactly what you were going to get :facepalm:

Peace in Northern Ireland is in danger – Johnson’s lies and inaction offer no help

The Northern Ireland conundrum over Brexit was always insoluble. As John Major and Tony Blair pointed out in the referendum campaign, if the UK left the single market and customs union there had to be a border somewhere, either on the island of Ireland or in the Irish Sea. In either case, someone’s rights were going to be hurt: nationalists or unionists.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/11/boris-johnson-posturing-has-put-northern-ireland-fragile-peace-at-grave-risk

U.K. Businesses Burn Cash as Brexit Bureaucracy Takes Its Toll

Breaking free of Brussels bureaucracy was meant to herald a bonfire of red tape for Britain. In the first 100 days of Brexit, the only thing many businesses burned was money. Customs checks, paperwork and border delays since the U.K. completed its withdrawal from the European Union at the start of the year are sucking cash and time out of firms from big-name retailers to small family-owned businesses. Companies, which warned for years that this would happen, take no pleasure in saying “we told you so,” but the frustration is clear as they grapple with the long-term reality.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-14/u-k-businesses-burn-cash-as-brexit-bureaucracy-takes-its-toll

Forget equivalence, the City of London needs a post-Brexit plan

The latest “deal” between the UK and the EU was meant to clear a path to a new way of operating for the City of London.*In reality, it feels more like the end of the road.
https://www.ft.com/content/1b08132e-0fa0-492d-8c00-3ae49c44e0e5

Future Brexit measures are storing up disruption

The government has also delayed introducing full import controls on goods at the British border, saying that the pandemic had affected business preparations. Indeed, import controls will only apply in full from January 2022. “The government’s decision to delay import controls again buys more time for businesses to prepare,” the paper said. But this shifting timeline could create problems when the checks do come in. The government must work to convince businesses that the new deadline is real and ensure they prepare for it, the paper says.
https://www.globalgovernmentforum.com/future-brexit-measures-storing-up-disruption-think-tank-warns/

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Any suggestions for this weighty deed?
Suggest a politician ? I haven't heard any articulating a plan yet.

Suggest a plan ? Easy. Join the EEA - probably as part of EFTA - and partake in the rule setting meetings prior to rule introduction.

Where is that politician ?

Jan 30, 2008
Out of the ECJ, out of the single market ,out of the customs union and of phone a friend freedom of movement, no more Subbing the EU of BIllions of pounds of tax payers money , blue passports ....Jan 31st 2021 🇬🇧
Regards
DF

Jan 30, 2008

Suggest a plan ? Easy. Join the EEA - probably as part of EFTA - and partake in the rule setting meetings prior to rule introduction.

Bring back Jo Swinson organise another peoples march is you best effort and look at how that went LMFAO !!
Regards
DF

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

The EU has offered to renegotiate a Swiss style deal

[tweet]1382107835866230786[/tweet]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Now obviously I know that not everyone who continues to support Brexit 3 months after it happened is a racist or an idiot, but reading the last few pages of this thread, you could see how someone without that knowledge could easily jump to that conclusion ???

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Some wildly inaccurate predictions there; I think they were generated primarily by a tory government, weren't they?

Anyway, they were as wrong as the 'sunny uplands' 'easiest trade deal in history' 'they need us more than we need them' etc.

The Spectator article seems to celebrate that the damage predicted has not happened; fair enough, but I think a substantial number of voters were persuaded by prospective advantages not the absence of dire outcomes.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
My Brexiter of the week....

James Dyson says Brexit has given him 'freedom'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56741000

Yes so much freedom you f**ked off to Singapore.

Apparently also we couldn't have developed the AZ vaccine if we'd stayed as EU member, LOL....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ah, good old project fear. Lies and scare stories to con the gullible ... fortunately a majority of the Great British public sent them packing.

Can't get behind the Channel Islands paywall sadly

Any way £200B cost to the UK economy to end of 2020

It was ridiculous to suggest we have a poxy £30B emergency budget, just borrow it and make the grandkids pay for it instead

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The EU has offered to renegotiate a Swiss style deal

[tweet]1382107835866230786[/tweet]
Johnson can't be seen to meekly agree to EU standards on trade, that would involve having to accept EU legal processes and jurisdiction in the event of disputes.

Doing that undermines the entire " Sovereignty, Taking Back Control, Sunny Uplands " trinity of the Brexit loons.

It's a lovely idea, it will solve a lot of the problems and it's a common sense solution but it won't be acceptable as it won't be Brexit.

I can see Farage forming yet another new political party, probably with Laurence Fox. [emoji1787]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here