Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I think this is a serious point.

If you average each post as taking 4-5 minutes to construct and write, those people who have 3000+ posts have spent over 10 days of their lives arguing with people who aren't for turning. Just think of what you could have done instead, in 250 hours!

4-5 minutes each time for Ppf to construct and write 'LEAVE MEANS LEAVE' ?

I think you have WAY underestimated. It must take him 4 mins to finish chewing the crayon :lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Presumably, if there was a similar court case in 1914/1930/1948 that concluded it was just, then legally it is OK, and whether it is a right thing is a moot point.

Lord Keen has just called the 1948 prorogation of Parliament an act for "naked political reasons". However, I read in 'Prospect' magazine:

Yet in 1948, prorogation was used by the Labour government to overcome the House of Lords’ obstruction to the Parliament Act 1949. This meant parliament was prorogued and summoned to create a short (third) session of about six weeks, which enabled that Act to be adopted without the consent of the House of Lords.

Yet, this is not comparable to the present situation, because it was not contrary to the will of sitting MPs, a decided majority of whom favoured the legislation and prorogation to achieve its adoption.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I bet when Thunderbolt was leading up to to retirement she didn’t plan to spend ten WHOLE days of her retirement posting on a football forum site specifically on one subject [emoji23]

Whereas you have only spent the best part of one WHOLE day posting on the subject. Hope you are at least semi-retired and not effecting Britain's productivity :wink:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We're not exactly blessed with choice in this regard, but I was hoping (beyond hope) that Rory Stewart would win the Tory leadership camnpaign. Not an ideal candidate by any means, but he does at least come across as a serious politician with values and beliefs, rather than the lying, blustering, self-regarding, racist, clueless bluffing blundering buffoon we've ended up with.

So depressing that it never looked like the sane, sensible one had any chance at all.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I bet when Thunderbolt was leading up to to retirement she didn’t plan to spend ten WHOLE days of her retirement posting on a football forum site specifically on one subject [emoji23]

Ha ha. I have over 40,000 posts on Nsc in general, and approx 50,000 with a previous username.

Why do you care so much what I do with my time?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
they weren't challenged. thats the point of highlighting them, they establish a precedent that can be argued is accepted practice. the court needs to weigh that against the other arguments.

Were these previous highlighted prorogations for similar explicit reasons, i.e. purely to enable a Queen's/King's speech (as the current Government say and presumably told the Queen) or with the political ramifications given as a basis for the prorogation and made clear to the King/Queen at the time?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So depressing that it never looked like the sane, sensible one had any chance at all.

Nope. 100,000 Tories members predominately made up of the blue rinse brigade decided that they "liked" Boris, mainly because he's so very positive and a bit of a character, and they can just call him by his first name, and isn't he charming and different and funny etc.

Cheers guys.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Quite.

I dip in and out of this thread, and have never understood why people spend so much time posting on it. Think of the time you could have spent with your family.

Whatever you post, someone will come up with something which they believe counters it. IMO that's fine a few times, but 3000? No-one has changed 'sides', as far as I know. I don't get it, and never will!

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Lord Keen keeps knocking the microphones and it sounds like the courtroom is under fire. He looks a lit like an old Jon Ronson too.

I've been dipping in and out, so I'm not sure if to possibility/probability of Parliament cancelling conference recess has been addressed, but Lord Keen keeps insisting only a few sitting days have been lost due to the prorogation. It seems almost a given that Parliament would have cancelled or shortened recess.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

If you average each post as taking 4-5 minutes to construct and write, those people who have 3000+ posts have spent over 10 days of their lives arguing with people who aren't for turning. Just think of what you could have done instead, in 250 hours!

You also have to add the amount of time spent reading the posts to argue about so we're probably talking at least double the amount of time. Plus there are the other threads they participate in. That's a lot of time

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Were these previous highlighted prorogations for similar explicit reasons, i.e. purely to enable a Queen's/King's speech (as the current Government say and presumably told the Queen) or with the political ramifications given as a basis for the prorogation and made clear to the King/Queen at the time?

:shrug: its a weak point though. the case will decided on the powers of the PM, what can or should be the extent of them, not what was or wasnt informed to the Queen.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Housework as you said before?

It's already done.

Be honest, you couldn't give a flying flamingo what I do with my time. You thought you had something that you could put me down with.
Well it aint working.
:lolol:

I like politics and think discussing the current affairs of the day, is a well worthwhile pastime.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Quite.

I dip in and out of this thread, and have never understood why people spend so much time posting on it. Think of the time you could have spent with your family.

Whatever you post, someone will come up with something which they believe counters it. IMO that's fine a few times, but 3000? No-one has changed 'sides', as far as I know. I don't get it, and never will!

You're right, but Thunder Bolt (who the original comment was about) has been consistently pretty non-confrontational, knowledgeable and interesting. At least that has been the way I've read her posts, and I suppose the level of interest is subjective :wink:

That doesn't go for all posters on that list Man of Sussex posted, of course.

I've certainly found out quite a few things from this thread, for me it's not been about changing my mind but hearing more opinions, and occasionally throwing in my two cents.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

You seriously think it takes PPF 4-5 minutes to construct and write a post :lolol:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It's already done.

Be honest, you couldn't give a flying flamingo what I do with my time. You thought you had something that you could put me down with.
Well it aint working.
:lolol:

I like politics and think discussing the current affairs of the day, is a well worthwhile pastime.

As the saying go’s, those that can do, those that can’t talk about it [emoji23][emoji23]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here