Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The press conference was arranged outside because Bettel's office is far too small for the 140 press that were invited. Johnson was booed & heckled when he arrived so he chose not to take part in the press conference. I fail to see what is pathetic about Bettel.

I understand all that and for what it is worth, I think Johnson should have attempted to engage in the press conference; however, I thought that Bettel's response was, let us say, against accepted protocol and unnecessary. Perhaps I should have said that rather than pathetic!:thumbsup:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
As has been stated countless times, you reach a compromise. Whether that's staying in the CU/SM or EEA/EFTA but it's the obvious approach. Opting for hard brexit (and ignoring the view of half the voters) is divisive and revoking A50 is even more divisive.

The only other way to heal the split is another referendum. So, a compromise or a referendum, I can't really see another alternative.

Why a referendum? That doesn't satisfy both sides, and is certainly not a compromise.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
They shouldn't. So, taking account the result of the referendum, how do you satisfy both sides? 52% in / 48% out?

"Out, but only just out" seems a fairly good reading of the result.

A Hard Brexit on the back of a 52-48 Leave vote would be the equivalent of joining the Euro & Schengen on the back of a 52-48 Remain vote.
A No Deal Brexit on the back of a 52-48 Leave vote would be the equivalent of the UK becoming a department of France on the back of a 52-48 Remain vote.

Of course, as we keep saying, none of this would have happened had a specific Leave option been on the cards at the time of the referendum. But of course it wouldn't because no specific form of leaving could ever have won.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why a referendum? That doesn't satisfy both sides, and is certainly not a compromise.
Ok, so not a referendum, but an EFTA style arrangement? Or staying within the customs union that pretty much the rest of Europe belongs to at the very least.

Fair enough, aside from the slightly patronising undertones.
You asked for it:

Or, more simply, Leavers voting to leave the EU in the referendum wish to leave the EU. As it says on the tin.

He's responding in kind.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Because it wouldn't be a binary referendum: there'd be a choice between Remain, No Deal, May's WA and EEA membership, say. At least, we wouldn't be able to hear about "leave means leave" - we'd have a clearer idea as to what people want

(I should stress that it's not what I favour, I think we should compromise, but I can see it as an option)

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I will admit that I did think the Luxembourg PM was opening himself up to those accusations, but equally you have to say that the EU by extension is simply doing what it can to distance itself from blame in these Brexit shambles.

Let's not forget the pre-amble here. Johnson spent his time undermining May - easily done, as her deal was truly dreadful. And that isn't a surprise considering the incompetent, clueless team she put together to do the negotiating (including Johnson and Gove, currently in office) - plus in true weedy fashion, she allowed herself to be bullied by right wing extremists in her party, such that the red lines imposed by the ERG made the job near impossible.

So May resigned, and this bullying mess has jumped in promising something he can't deliver. He tried of course, by trying to shut down democracy. That was his big plan - renegotiation was always impossible given the UK's absurd self-imposed red lines, so he was going to undemocratically force through no deal. Now all he is doing is going through the motions - turning up in various European capitals with absolutely no new ideas, and flouncing rather than standing up and speaking at long-organised pressers.

What a terrible prime minister he is. Where May was a drip, he is a bully - and even less competent.

Can't really disagree with this.
I just feel rather depressed and concerned about the general level of political competence that presently exists in virtually all parts of parliament, let alone amongst poisonous advisers such as Dominic Cummings and Seamus Milne:mad: There is a good case to suggest that all the parties should hang their collective heads in shame!:cry:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Because it wouldn't be a binary referendum: there'd be a choice between Remain, No Deal, May's WA and EEA membership, say. At least, we wouldn't be able to hear about "leave means leave" - we'd have a clearer idea as to what people want

(I should stress that it's not what I favour, I think we should compromise, but I can see it as an option)

So the Remain option would be binary, yet the leave vote split amongst numerous options? OK.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Many people have changed their minds in the last three years, as we know a lot more about what is involved. I'm a firm Remainer but I didn't think about the borders in Ireland, Gibraltar or Cyprus.
The 3 million EU citizens working here were told it wouldn't affect them at all, were denied a vote despite being tax payers, but then after the referendum they were told they would have to register. That is turning out to be a mess from the Home Office.

We have general elections every five years, so the government can be changed if it is failing. Brexit is failing, and so people should be given the choice to say again.
Personally, I'm all for revoking Article 50, sorting out what we do want to do, then putting it to the test, but I can see that would antagonise many people who are demanding their vote must be honoured.
I really believe Remain would win this time around.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
As I said this week, I'm all for leaving as per the referendum then having another vote say, every 5 years.

Have you got any idea of how long 750 trade deals would take to negotiate?

It took the EU and Canada seven years to negotiate their trade deal. Canada have already told us, that deal will not roll over to us, so we've got to start from scratch.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Have you got any idea of how long 750 trade deals would take to negotiate?

It took the EU and Canada seven years to negotiate their trade deal. Canada have already told us, that deal will not roll over to us, so we've got to start from scratch.

Ok, so have another vote every 15 years.

Just trying to compromise as people change their minds...like you say.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As has been stated countless times, you reach a compromise. Whether that's staying in the CU/SM or EEA/EFTA but it's the obvious approach. Opting for hard brexit (and ignoring the view of half the voters) is divisive and revoking A50 is even more divisive.

The only other way to heal the split is another referendum. So, a compromise or a referendum, I can't really see another alternative.

the conclusion doesn't follow those options, another referendum will be divisive whatever the outcome. the WA leading to EEA/EFTA arrangment would be the obvious way forward that ticks every box, "just" need to deal with objections to the backstop and were there.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So long as it's fair and representative then.

If Remain got 45%, and 5 Leave options got 11% each, what would happen?
Surely a 2 question ref ?

1) Leave or Remain.

2) If we leave, which option. ( BOTH LEAVE AND REMAIN VOTERS CAN SELECT AN OPTION ).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
the conclusion doesn't follow those options, another referendum will be divisive whatever the outcome. the WA leading to EEA/EFTA arrangment would be the obvious way forward that ticks every box, "just" need to deal with objections to the backstop and were there.

Yes, I agree. As I said, it's not an approach that I favour but I can see why it's an option

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here