Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You sound seriously depressed.
How the hell are you going to cope when the unthinkable happens ( no, not Brexit ) and the EU starts to disintegrate. If you think Brexit is disastrous wait til you see this fallout!
Still, just to cheer you up, there will be a Franco-German alliance to try and join. Only trouble is, there will still be plenty of thicko's left who will want no part of it

I'm not depressed. I'm realistic. This country is going down the shitter. We will watch on enviously as the EU goes from strength to strength for the benefit of it's members. While we bicker over the last chlorinated chicken in Tesco.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
How the hell are you going to cope when the unthinkable happens ( no, not Brexit ) and the EU starts to disintegrate. If you think Brexit is disastrous wait til you see this fallout!
Still, just to cheer you up, there will be a Franco-German alliance to try and join. Only trouble is, there will still be plenty of thicko's left who will want no part of it

I notice that you use the word 'when' rather than 'if'. So can I ask you to suggest a date when the EU will disintegrate, bearing in mind that few of the currently resurgent populist movements agitating for change in the Union want to leave it, let alone see it fall apart? A summary of evidence rather than hope-based theories would surely help.

And why do you think that so many leave-supporters revel in the illusion that retainers think that they are all, um, 'thicko's'? The ratio of Leavers who claim that Remainers are calling them thick to Remainers who actually do must be about 100:1. (I think it might be a reflection of the ever-present Farage sales pitch that the ground-down proletariat is being betrayed by the smooth and over-educated metropolitan elite but I'd appreciate your thoughts.)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The thing is, I fully believe that if the poll was put to the public, with exactly the same question as posed previously, you would still get exactly the same result, or possibly even an increased majority to Leave, that's why Remainers who desire a second referendum want to make it so complicated and with so many options that the Leave vote would become watered down.

Maybe any second referendum, if there were one, should remove Remain as an option, and just spell out the options for Leave.

It's easy to have a second referendum with the 3 options Remain, TM's Deal and No Deal without splitting the leave vote (or as many options as you want). It really isn't complicated :shrug:

It's here

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
... A summary of evidence rather than hope-based theories would surely help...

I've given up debating with Leavers. There's is no evidence base for benefits of Brexit. Literally none. I feel sorry for them. They were sold something that will damage all but those insulated by wealth and pensions, yet they're too proud to actually look at facts objectively. All that's left is dubious claims about will of the people and clichés that show minimal understanding of the EU. We have to accept minds can't be changed, and put our trust in how much more capable at critical thinking and analysis of political statements the next generation is proving to be.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1130733085421690881[/TWEET]

Interesting article indeed, lets have a look at the candidates for the South East region, shall we? For those unaware, these are Nigel Farage, Alex Phillips, Robert Rowland, Belinda De Camborne Lucy, James Bartholomew, Christopher Ellis, John Kennedy, Matthew Taylor, George Farmer, Peter Wiltshire. The headline is basically as follows;

Nigel Farage - racist, hangs around with racists, has dubious links to any number of fascists and people accused of Russian influence
Alex Phillips - written gushingly about Enoch Powell and for an Islamophobic publication, flips between Tories and UKIP based on which she sees as better for her career
Robert Rowland - big into climate change denial (also seems to be heavily involved in hedge funds dealing with shale gas companies, I'm sure that's unrelated)
Belinda De Camborne Lucy - husband works for a company heavily involved in Trump campaign and seems to have put a lot of money on Brexit happening
James Bartholomew - argued that welfare and the NHS are bad things, claims to have invented the phrase "virtue signalling" because virtue is a bad thing or something
Christopher Ellis - low public profile, seems to be another climate change denier
John Kennedy - completely anonymous online
Matthew Taylor - Rees-Mogg fanboy, claims business monopolies, race and exploitation "don't exist"
George Farmer - chair of Turning Point UK, big fan of big game hunting, another climate change denier with donors from fossil fuel companies (funny that, sure it's a coincidence)
Peter Wiltshire - absolutely loves Piers Morgan, which tells you all you need to know

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I've given up debating with Leavers. There's is no evidence base for benefits of Brexit. Literally none. I feel sorry for them. They were sold something that will damage all but those insulated by wealth and pensions, yet they're too proud to actually look at facts objectively. All that's left is dubious claims about will of the people and clichés that show minimal understanding of the EU. We have to accept minds can't be changed, and put our trust in how much more capable at critical thinking and analysis of political statements the next generation is proving to be.

While fully in agreement with your summary, I would feel that I hadn't done all that I could reasonably do, if I ceased engaging with Leavers.
Not that it will probably make a blind bit of difference, but if one doesn't try.....

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Aha, this again. Been hearing from Europhobes that the EU is at the point of collapse for a good 15 years now. Still not seeing it.

Perhaps though if the Brexiters want an end date for the Irish backstop they should just date it to the collapse of the EU? Most seem convinced it'll happen any day now, so why not put their money where their mouth is?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is absolutely moronic. Where is the evidence that the EU is ever going to disintegrate?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is absolutely moronic. Where is the evidence that the EU is ever going to disintegrate?

In fact, it is getting stronger due to the mess the UK is making of Brexit. Even Marie Le Pen has changed her mind about trying to get France out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He's already been in trouble for fiddling his expenses as an MEP. Now this is a different ball game.

[tweet]1130855983289212929[/tweet]

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
There's an important lesson to be learned from Theresa May's speech today.

Don't do crack kids.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
They you go, my point exactly, you have split the leave options in two... You really are desperate to win, aren't you!

There is an explanation on the first post if you are capable of reading it. I have copied it here in case you have trouble linking to another thread

If you went with those options I think you need to allow people to have 1st choice and 2nd choice, otherwise the leavers vote will be split between 2, so you could have a result of 48%, 26%, 26% (matching the original referendum) and then wonder what the **** you're supposed to do next.

If you have 1st choice and 2nd choice, then one of the leave options would get dropped, with those voters putting their 2nd choice towards the remaining 2 options. Then we'd get a result.

Actually, I think that's a pretty good option going forward. It seems better to me than going forward with something that most people haven't actually voted for. You can't really argue it's not democratic.

This explanation was actually put together by someone who voted leave and wanted to ensure that the leave vote wasn't 'split' unfairly.

Either look at it again and see if you can understand it, or get someone to explain it to you :facepalm:

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Anna Soubry doesn't promote conflict and distrust, produce posters aimed at fuelling racist xenophobia and associate immigration with the rape of English women. He knows what he's doing.

Any remainer who doesn't accept a democratic result should be enacted and insists we all vote again and /or demands we revoke article 50 is fuelling conflict and mistrust even more so when they renege on commitments made when trying to get elected ... "I accept and will continue to honour the EU Referendum result" - Anna Soubry 2017 GE You all know what you are doing.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
There is an explanation on the first post if you are capable of reading it. I have copied it here in case you have trouble linking to another thread

If you went with those options I think you need to allow people to have 1st choice and 2nd choice, otherwise the leavers vote will be split between 2, so you could have a result of 48%, 26%, 26% (matching the original referendum) and then wonder what the **** you're supposed to do next.

If you have 1st choice and 2nd choice, then one of the leave options would get dropped, with those voters putting their 2nd choice towards the remaining 2 options. Then we'd get a result.

Actually, I think that's a pretty good option going forward. It seems better to me than going forward with something that most people haven't actually voted for. You can't really argue it's not democratic.

It was actually put together by someone who voted leave and wanted to ensure that the leave vote wasn't 'split' unfairly.

Either look at it again and see if you can understand it, or get someone to explain it to you :facepalm:

I’m sorry, I hadn’t seen the post you refer to.

Clearly I can read, as otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to reply to previous posts.

My ability to read also tells me you are an obnoxious ****, and that people like you, who think being arrogant and rude is the way to win an argument, are the very reason the Remain vote lost...

Now crawl back under your stone unless you care to apologise!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
So you are only happy with democracy if it gives you the result you want? Typical.

No, I'm happy with democracy when it is acted upon. You don't know how I voted in the referendum, and I have never once disclosed which way I voted, but democracy has died a death here...

A lot of "stupid" people voted to leave, politicians of all colours said leave means leave, yet here we are!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here