Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Those advocating No Deal should read this 17 part tweet.
This is the 17th part.

In summary:
a) No deal is not the ultimate in “taking back control”, but in handing control the EU.
b) Even in a no-deal scenario, the Commission will try to get the UK to sign up to the backstop and pay the bill, and has plenty of leverage with which to do so.

[tweet]1105073880631332864[/tweet]

A HUGE amount of if's, but's and maybe's in his tweets alongside some guesswork. Oh and some completely factually incorrect statements. Here's one :

"Raphael Hogarth
‏@Raphael_Hogarth
35m35 minutes ago
More
Pet travel! Unless UK is formally “listed”, you must get your pet microchipped and vaccinated before it can travel. “We are seeking discussions with the Commission to allow the UK to become a listed third country” and “will continue to press the Commission to discuss”
"

You already have to do this to take your pet to mainland Europe !!!!! I'll therefore take his rant with the pinch of salt it deserves.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Those advocating No Deal should read this 17 part tweet.
This is the 17th part.

In summary:
a) No deal is not the ultimate in “taking back control”, but in handing control the EU.
b) Even in a no-deal scenario, the Commission will try to get the UK to sign up to the backstop and pay the bill, and has plenty of leverage with which to do so.

[tweet]1105073880631332864[/tweet]
Hammond said at the end of one of his speeches words to the effect that people would not be told how bad *no deal* would be, that perhaps they had to experience it to understand.

A grain of hope is that perhaps the plan is a short *no deal* outcome so people do experience it. And then an actual rescue deal like *Common Market 2.0*.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Next time you post, note the real time, and then see what time it appears you made the post, I posted at 11.44 real time.

Profuse apologies!I must admit,I thought you lived on a different planet,but it's just a different time-zone!:kiss:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Blair, Osborne, Rudd, Eurocrats... it's all their fault we've been reduced to an object of international pity (Kavanagh's words), no one else's.

Its the BBC's fault as well apparently, which I find particularly amusing.

The lies of Brexit were never deliverable, there are no easy choices now. The grown ups need to stand up and take back control

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Pointless worrying now.

Unless MPs legally block ( their vote won't ) *no deal* then the country collapse starts in just 18 days.

Worst hit initially will be those needing isotopes and life saving medicines.

One day there will be trials in The Hague.

Emmm....if we go breaking International Peace treaties its not impossible.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It genuinely, genuinely staggers me that people out there seem to think everything will be fine. I can only assume they've had their heads buried totally in the sand for the last three years.

[TWEET]1105011210146246658[/TWEET]

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Hammond said at the end of one of his speeches words to the effect that people would not be told how bad *no deal* would be, that perhaps they had to experience it to understand.

A grain of hope is that perhaps the plan is a short *no deal* outcome so people do experience it. And then an actual rescue deal like *Common Market 2.0*.

I've wondered that about no deal. It'll show it up for what it is and the people who advocated it for what they are. I've read/heard plenty of times that '3 weeks maximum' is the assumption in Paris and Berlin on the length of time we'd last if it happened before we go begging for a Common Market 2.0 arrangement, which is The EU's preference anyway. We'd have no leverage, we'd have to take exactly what we're given. Even the likes of Mr Rees-Mogg of Toad Hall in The ERG have changed their tune on no deal - 'I'd prefer to leave with a deal' is the new mood music because they know it as well. It's only the complete nutbars like Peter Bone and Andrea Jenkyns who still think it's a runner.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I've wondered that about no deal. It'll show it up for what it is and the people who advocated it for what they are. I've read/heard plenty of times that '3 weeks maximum' is the assumption in Paris and Berlin on the length of time we'd last if it happened before we go begging for a Common Market 2.0 arrangement, which is The EU's preference anyway. We'd have no leverage, we'd have to take exactly what we're given. Even the likes of Mr Rees-Mogg of Toad Hall in The ERG have changed their tune on no deal - 'I'd prefer to leave with a deal' is the new mood music because they know it as well. It's only the complete nutbars like Peter Bone and Andrea Jenkyns who still think it's a runner.

But David Davis claims no deal is the most popular option favoured by the British people.

Drove down the M40 earlier. There's is poster on the southbound carriageway, saying "no deal, no problem".

A couple of years ago in the same location they put this up...

Capture.JPG

Enough said....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:lolol:

What a ****ing mess.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

there's a few on here too, though thankfully like the rest of us, our personal opinions mean f all, lets all hope sanity resumes and either the softest of leaving or find the stomach to revoke.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But David Davis claims no deal is the most popular option favoured by the British people.

Drove down the M40 earlier. There's is poster on the southbound carriageway, saying "no deal, no problem".

A couple of years ago in the same location they put this up...

View attachment 105610

Enough said....

"No deal, no problem" is a Kremlin pushed narrative.

But what can we do ?

- Shut down the facebook, twitter etc news feeds, closed WhatsApp groups and Kremlin backed news websites. Not just the obvious RT, Sputnik. Cut off the delivery mechanism of the psychological attack.

- Charge and convict the agents of influence. We all know who most of them are.

Until we do the above - as a minimum - we are lost - Russia wins the hybrid psychological / technological war.

As always, they are upfront and admit it.

https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1094979534917644288?s=19

Last edited:

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
I have lived in Poland now for 18 years and British people living here are extremely worried about the impact this will have on our lives. At the age of 57 moving back to the UK after all this time just isn’t an option as to start again would be almost imposable.
On Wednesday night we have a meeting at the British Embassy here in Warsaw to see what our options are and although there are some proposals from the Polish government nothing is concrete. I have not been able to buy a house for the last two years due to the uncertainty of what will happen, and I know many people who are in the same situation.
Two and a half years have gone by now and with 18 days to go still nothing has been sorted and we Brits abroad have been used as bargaining chips and the whole situation is just utterly pathetic.
What really pisses me off is that many of the politicians behind this are driven by their own political careers and couldn’t care a toss about the public in the UK let alone Brits abroad.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I don't envy Theresa May and her meeting with Junker tonight. The man is an odious prick who simply doesn't handle high stakes, high emotive topics with any decorum or tact. His handling of the Greek negotiations was the final straw for me. But realistically he is just one (relatively small) actor in the EU and he doesn't have anywhere near enough clout to change the backstop. So I'm not sure what the point of these last minute Strasbourg talks is.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I have lived in Poland now for 18 years and British people living here are extremely worried about the impact this will have on our lives. At the age of 57 moving back to the UK after all this time just isn’t an option as to start again would be almost imposable.
On Wednesday night we have a meeting at the British Embassy here in Warsaw to see what our options are and although there are some proposals from the Polish government nothing is concrete. I have not been able to buy a house for the last two years due to the uncertainty of what will happen, and I know many people who are in the same situation.
Two and a half years have gone by now and with 18 days to go still nothing has been sorted and we Brits abroad have been used as bargaining chips and the whole situation is just utterly pathetic.
What really pisses me off is that many of the politicians behind this are driven by their own political careers and couldn’t care a toss about the public in the UK let alone Brits abroad.
Sorry to hear that.

A sensible, bridge building, pragmatic Brexit would no doubt have resolved all this positively.

Instead, we got stupid red lines and aggressive, confrontational buffoonery.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

It would be ****ing hilarious if the whole Brexit shambles resulted in us being far more subservient to the EU than we ever were whilst a member.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I see it was Simon Coveney who confirmed that Theresa May is flying to Strasbourg this evening to meet Jean-Claude Juncker - It's good that a grown up like The Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of The Republic of Ireland is now finally able to clarify matters on the whereabouts and comings and goings of The Prime Minister of The United Kingdom - we might be getting somewhere perhaps - The British Government are finally knowing their place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here