Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sadly this is it. I voted to remain but accepted the referendum result to leave. Leave means leave, whether with or without a deal. Politicians should be aside there ambition and get on with doing what the majority voted for. May could not get through her deal so we should leave without one.
The EU should come out and say take the deal that was on offer or **** off without.

I totally agree. MPs should hang their heads in shame, they were elected to enact the will of the people and are refusing to do so.

Nobody should be surprised at whatever happens next.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Saw that.
It would certainly give those MPs who want to do everything in their power to stop leaving with no deal the opportunity to voice an opinion for leaving with the deal instead. Might be enough of them now who are just fed up and want a chance to get some sort of leaving over the line.

You maybe right, but presumably the Government will whip the Tory MPs against voting for it (we know what the Government think of the WA, vassalage/backstop etc.), with the threat of deselection for any Tory MP who does.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
The EU should come out and say take the deal that was on offer or **** off without.

Why would the EU put pressure on the UK to leave? It's not their preferred option for a start and not in anyway diplomatic or at all in line with how the EU does business.

You maybe right, but presumably the Government will whip the Tory MPs against voting for it (we know what the Government think of the WA, vassalage/backstop etc.), with the threat of deselection for any Tory MP who does.

Not only the Government but one would imagine Labour too would whip against, I doubt they'd threaten deselection though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if i recall recent events, Johnson used the threat of election as a way to get his side into line, and dare the opposition into something they are not ready for. he doesnt necessarily want one. meanwhile Corbyn having spent 2 years calling for an election refused. its not a good look for Labour, it must at least confuse the typical voter, and weakens them. i cant tell if this is cunning double bluff or a fortuitous cockup.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Not sure the Kinnock amendment has any legal obligations to parliament attached to it, think it just asks them to debate and vote. Will be interesting to see if those MPs who say they only want to stop a no deal Brexit would back it a fourth time round. Something has to give. Eventually we are leaving, they obviously have no stomach for revoking A50 and cancelling brexit

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
if i recall recent events, Johnson used the threat of election as a way to get his side into line, and dare the opposition into something they are not ready for. he doesnt necessarily want one. meanwhile Corbyn having spent 2 years calling for an election refused. its not a good look for Labour, it must at least confuse the typical voter, and weakens them. i cant tell if this is cunning double bluff or a fortuitous cockup.

Looks like parliament has abandoned poker all together and is currently collectively playing 52 card pick up using Tommy Coopers special deck.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I'm not a fan of any of them (that's an understatement), but to fair to Labour they were quite clear (at last). Get this out the way and they will agree.

To me the constant claim that they have turned down an election from the Tories sounds a bit pathetic because they obviously haven't.

Labour (I think) want to call it themselves via a no-confidence vote and not allow Johnson (sorry Cummings) to use an election to get a no deal by default.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Not sure the Kinnock amendment has any legal obligations to parliament attached to it, think it just asks them to debate and vote. Will be interesting to see if those MPs who say they only want to stop a no deal Brexit would back it a fourth time round. Something has to give. Eventually we are leaving, they obviously have no stomach for revoking A50 and cancelling brexit

Yes but Tory MPs would be whipped to vote against it, and then lose the Whip if they do so.

Would be interesting to see what May would do in such a situation...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No General Election, that's such as shame.
I was so looking forward to the choice of one of these:-

88393dd6ce94e296b0bd60cfafe9bdc6.gif

wearing

60410-B-2.jpg

and a bunch of inept, no-necked Rodney's, going through the motions.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So we have a government that can’t govern as it is well short of a majority and a parliament refusing an election. God knows where it goes from here.

Quite obvious why they’re refusing election right now. If No Deal is confirmed dead we will have an election immediately after. Ball is firmly in Johnson’s court.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I find it hard to believe any of this has come as a surprise to Johnson.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Haven't been following the thread closely but thought the general consensus is that BJ has now called for an election quoting 15th October but nobody believes he would stick to that date and use his royal prerogative to move it back to after the 31st October and after we have left the EU.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Quite obvious why they’re refusing election right now. If No Deal is confirmed dead we will have an election immediately after. Ball is firmly in Johnson’s court.

No deal will only be dead in the short term if Labour fail to win an election

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Not sure what BJ game plan is to be honest. Surely if there's an election 15 October, Labour will run a If you vote conservative you will get no deal. As well already know the public don't want this and he will lose a lot of seats.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here