Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Now what makes you think [MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION] doesn't post anymore ? People don't tend to go from prolific poster to nothing without a few goes at other account(s). I have my suspicions :wink:

I seem to remember he disappeared just after he inadvertently managed to publish the address of the 'drug den' (his words) next door to him. Almost as funny as when [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] inadvertently published his bookmarks :lolol:

So all we need to find out is what current NSC poster lives in this house

View attachment 132552

And we have our man

(I'd forgotten all about this until you reminded me)

Blimey, you can see why Bakerlite was created...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I've always championed the Union, Brexiters have weakened it. Of course it was the Tories that used our membership of the European Union to keep the Scots in the Union of the UK

The problem is I don't think that betrayal has been forgotten

You only started championing the Union WHEN you could associate its demise with Brexit!

Anyway for the first weekend in a long time my team has won and I won’t let my joy be sapped by a Euro Dementor like you! Have a great day copying bad news links onto this thread [emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You only started championing the Union WHEN you could associate its demise with Brexit!

Anyway for the first weekend in a long time my team has won and I won’t let my joy be sapped by a Euro Dementor like you! Have a great day copying bad news links onto this thread [emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your trying to criticise people for not 'championing the Union' after you voted for a border in the Irish Sea :facepalm:

You really don't help yourself, do you :lolol:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Anyone who's selling to us from abroad or selling from the UK has to collect the tax on the product and fill out the paper work, sending the money to HMRC. There also used to be a lower tax limit, under £15 this has been scrapped so we have to pay tax on near now everything. This means that small business with have an added bureaucratic tax layer that needs to completed and payed for if they don't do it themselves, this reflecting on more small companies weighting up whether its worth the administrative cost and time to deliver to the UK.

VAT used to be collected by buyer on receipt, but now the seller has to collect it, thus acting as a tax collector for our government, be it here or abroad.

Large suppliers will be fine but smaller competition may find its not worth it, so we as customers will more then lightly get a reduction in competitive choices.

Here's an interesting breakdown of the extra charges an actual small UK business who exports has

Shock Brexit charges are hurting us, say small British businesses

Paul is a director of Leon Paul, based in Hendon, north London, which employs 50 people. It is a niche business, which has been in his family since it was set up in 1921. It designs and manufactures equipment for the Olympic sport of sword fencing.

The new export levies, which he says will amount to £160,000 a year for Leon Paul, are first, a “Brexit charge”, as the couriers are calling it, an export fee of £4.50 for every parcel shipped to the EU to cover costs of extra administration and form filling that couriers must carry out.

Second, there is a “deferment account fee” of £5 per parcel that covers couriers’ costs of pre-paying import charges in the destination country; and third, a “disbursement charge” which is set at different levels in each EU country with a minimum of about €14 per parcel, or calculated as a percentage of the value of the goods, whichever is the higher, plus VAT in the destination country. This covers the costs of the tax authority in the recipient country inspecting and processing the parcels.

“As far as I can see, currently, companies like ours in the UK are not going to be able to do ‘end sales’ to customers in the EU any more. Particularly, small orders for anything under £100 will be completely impossible,” says Paul. “Jobs lost will be lost here,” he says. “That is the reality. All of these fees will come straight off profit margins.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/17/shock-brexit-charges-are-hurting-us-say-small-british-businesses

I can't imagine why anyone wants to keep on about the referendum that has long been done and dusted. If we are going to 'move on' it's far more important to look forward and get to grips with the detail of 'the deal' now it is published and no longer open to speculation :shrug:

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
A great number of small, family-run fishing businesses, are about a week away from going bust.

Still. Congrats to Brexiteers on their magnificent win and correctly calling project fear out for what it was.

I mean, you knew what you were voting for, right? That's what you kept telling me.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A great number of small, family-run fishing businesses, are about a week away from going bust.

Still. Congrats to Brexiteers on their magnificent win and correctly calling project fear out for what it was.

I mean, you knew what you were voting for, right? That's what you kept telling me.

Try to stay on topic please with simple facts about what the deal is and it's consequences (like your first line).

There are a few posters desperately trying to get this thread off topic or moved elsewhere. They don't need help.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Workers rights and now this :facepalm:

Treasury says it has 'no plans' to lower VAT on energy bills, despite promises to scrap the tax after Brexit

The Treasury has said it has 'no plans' to lower VAT on energy bills, despite promises to scrap the tax after Brexit. Boris Johnson and Michael Gove pledged to scrap the duty during the EU referendum campaign. They said the Government was barred from lowering the tax because of EU rules.

Writing in The Sun in 2016, Johnson said: 'Fuel bills will be lower for everyone. As long as we are in the EU, we are not allowed to cut this tax.'When we vote Leave, we will be able to scrap this unfair and damaging tax. It isn't right that unelected bureaucrats in Brussels impose taxes on the poorest and elected British politicians can do nothing.'

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-9155185/Treasury-says-no-plans-lower-VAT-energy-bills.html

You didn't hear Merkal's speech when she said that the EU needs to look at not being reliant on NATO for it's defence then ? The EU Army is coming and it's being driven by the Germans. You've also not noticed the arguments in the UK about removing VAT from sanitary products but EU tax laws not allowing us to do so ? Or removing the 8% VAT from electricity and gas ? All facts - all well documented if you Google - but I guess your EU blindness stops you seeing these facts and instead you just dismiss them as propaganda.

It also means we can't remove vat from items and services. So for example, we can't remove the disgusting 8.5% VAT on gas and electricity. We either keep it as is or hike it to 15% minimum. Sanitry products is another example. Tax policy should only be controlled by a national government not the EU.

Kipper-boil-in-the-bag-nutritional-information-calories.jpg

#victimsofbrexit

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Workers rights and now this :facepalm:

Treasury says it has 'no plans' to lower VAT on energy bills, despite promises to scrap the tax after Brexit

The Treasury has said it has 'no plans' to lower VAT on energy bills, despite promises to scrap the tax after Brexit. Boris Johnson and Michael Gove pledged to scrap the duty during the EU referendum campaign. They said the Government was barred from lowering the tax because of EU rules.

Writing in The Sun in 2016, Johnson said: 'Fuel bills will be lower for everyone. As long as we are in the EU, we are not allowed to cut this tax.'When we vote Leave, we will be able to scrap this unfair and damaging tax. It isn't right that unelected bureaucrats in Brussels impose taxes on the poorest and elected British politicians can do nothing.'

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-9155185/Treasury-says-no-plans-lower-VAT-energy-bills.html

View attachment 132584

#victimsofbrexit
If you could list the workers rights that have been removed we would all be grateful. But, well done for rediscovering the ability to use a search engine and confirming we have indeed taken back control of setting our own VAT rates in all areas [emoji106]

#zerobraincells

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
If you could list the workers rights that have been removed we would all be grateful. But, well done for rediscovering the ability to use a search engine and confirming we have indeed taken back control of setting our own VAT rates in all areas [emoji106]

#zerobraincells

"Treasury says it has 'no plans' to lower VAT on energy bills, despite promises to scrap the tax after Brexit"

Is this one of those positives we've been waiting for?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
"Treasury says it has 'no plans' to lower VAT on energy bills, despite promises to scrap the tax after Brexit"

Is this one of those positives we've been waiting for?
Treasury scraps Tampon tax in one day after years of meetings and bureaucratic holdups in the EU and regains full control of setting tax rates in UK [emoji106]

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Treasury scraps Tampon tax in one day after years of meetings and bureaucratic holdups in the EU and regains full control of setting tax rates in UK [emoji106]

No comment?

Just more lies, was it?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
No comment?

Just more lies, was it?
It's almost like there has been a global pandemic causing immense economic damage causing governments across the world to reassess their commitments.

Would you regard regaining full control of setting tax rates meaning we can finally abolish the tampon tax as a positive?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
It's almost like there has been a global pandemic causing immense economic damage causing governments across the world to reassess their commitments.

Would you regard regaining full control of setting tax rates meaning we can finally abolish the tampon tax as a positive?

Abolishing tampon tax is a positive, yes.

Perhaps they could use the £350m/week that we're saving, to abolish the VAT on fuel bills - how about that?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Abolishing tampon tax is a positive, yes.

Perhaps they could use the £350m/week that we're saving, to abolish the VAT on fuel bills - how about that?
Excellent, if you would kindly remind anyone that says .. 'no one ever mentions any positives about Brexit' ..of our delightful little exchange I would be eternally grateful [emoji106]

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Excellent, if you would kindly remind anyone that says .. 'no one ever mentions any positives about Brexit' ..of our delightful little exchange I would be eternally grateful [emoji106]

Of course - we all want to see some positives, to off-set the many, many negatives that are unfolding and we look forward to you posting them, now you've made a start.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Blimey, you can see why Bakerlite was created...

That was a nasty little piece of work, had nothing constructive to contribute and existed solely to be an irritant.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Of course - we all want to see some positives, to off-set the many, many negatives that are unfolding and we look forward to you posting them, now you've made a start.

To be strictly accurate, he is simply parroting what I wrote a year ago, but it is a start

Since this tread has been moved to the bear pit, I have taken on board the phrase at the top of the forum 'Typically these threads are politically-focused and involve a small group of people getting angry with each other, whilst absolutely no-one will attempt to see the other side, nor change their perspective.'

So I have decided that this was a prompt for me to be more open minded and see the other side of the argument. I undertook extensive, although ultimately, unsuccessful research for some definable benefits. The notable exception being £1.85 each menstruating woman will save if we immediately cut VAT on sanitary products on 1/1/21, 12 months before the EU do the same. Although undoubtedly a definable benefit, I felt I really couldn't build a cost/benefit case for leaving the EU on this alone.

I'm afraid that I have to report back that even after this, we still have a completely incompetent buffoon and his bunch of gutless sycophants in charge, U-turns on the border in the Irish Sea, Animal Welfare and Food Standards, Control of our borders, Businesses having no idea of what they will have to do in 6 months time, and all this before we have even decided the basic whether to have a deal or no deal, 4 years after we voted for 'it' :facepalm: .

It's just that in the year since we left the EU and have had these wonderful new opportunities, nobody has managed to add anything to my list of benefits.

Why do you suppose he is posting as JCFG today and not POTG?

I believe I know why but would love to have it confirmed :lolol:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
To be strictly accurate, he is simply parroting what I wrote a year ago, but it is a start

It's just that in the year since we left the EU and have had these wonderful new opportunities, nobody has managed to add anything to my list of benefits.

Why do you suppose he is posting as JCFG today and not POTG?

I believe I know why but would love to have it confirmed :lolol:

Damn! I was so pleased for him, too. Back to the drawing board, I guess, JCFG. :down:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looks like it aims to continue in the same vein, judging by it's comment on the 'Refugee' thread.

I thought that Lightly Baked got a ban then spat his dummy and left ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here