Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
An urgent action plan to fix this is needed !

The trouble is that the City is the one issue that can't be fixed with EEA, not that it is a reason not to join EEA. Getting rid of all the issues around NI Protocol, Fishing Industry, Exports and Imports is more than enough justification :thumbsup:

It's just that to try and address the majority of the major issues caused by Brexit, we would need something additional to EEA for Services.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If only someone could have seen this coming

Banks flee the City post-Brexit taking more than £900bn in assets with them

If you thought the Brexit saga was over, think again. New research reveals UK firms are looking to the continent for business and relocations are set to continue. Figures compiled by think tank New Financial make for sobering reading and reveal the extent of just how much Brexit will face the change of the City. More than 440 firms in banking and financial services have relocated part of their business, moved employees or set up new entities in the EU following Brexit.

“The worse news is that this analysis is almost certainly a significant underestimate of the real picture: many firms have slipped below our radar…” William Wright, managing director of New Financial said. “Given the limited equivalence deals in place, over time we expect there to be a drip-feed of business and activity from the UK to the EU.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/banks-flee-the-city-post-brexit-taking-more-than-%c2%a3900bn-in-assets-with-them/ar-BB1fGV0e?ocid=mailsignout

We have to make a decision quickly whether to try and abide by EU regulations and get an equivalence and passporting deal or just get rid of regulations and try to do a Singapore, because just letting business haemorrhage from the city to elsewhere in the world whilst continuing to do nothing, would be beyond stupid.

Shirley the people who 'knew what they were voting for' had decided which we should do before voting ???

Has anyone done any analysis on the tax hit when are going to take on financial services?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Amusing that the 5th column collective are now resorting to finding doom and gloom stories from trusted news sources from Malaysia and the New European plus reporting old news that isn't accurate. :facepalm:

Meanwhile, Deloitte's quarterly CFO Survey which is 'firmly established with media and policy makers as the authoritative barometer of UK corporates’ sentiment and strategies' finds ..

Optimism among CFOs has risen to a record high. The successful rollout of vaccines in the UK, prospective re-opening of the economy and a gathering US recovery have all boosted sentiment.

CFOs anticipate a strong recovery in profits over the next twelve months. A brighter backdrop has tilted companies away from defensive strategies, such as cost control, while expectations for hiring and investment have reached their highest levels in nearly six years.

Brexit has dropped sharply as a source of risk to businesses from the top positions it has held on the CFO risk list since the EU referendum. Close to 10% of surveyed CFOs have experienced significant or severe disruption to their businesses due to Brexit. However, they believe interruptions will fade, with only 3% expecting similar levels of disruption in a year's time....

“Brexit has been a significant dampener on business activity in the last four years but with the UK’s final departure from the EU, such effects are fading. Combined with a successful vaccine rollout and a greatly improved global backdrop we are seeing a turbo-charged surge in business optimism."

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/finance/articles/deloitte-cfo-survey.html

Positivity and optimism amongst Chief Finance officers across the country whereas the gloomerati consisting of retired has-beens, radicalised misfits and the unemployed all who couldn't run a whelk stall, continue to chunter away on a football message board. :lolol:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So the Brexit highlights from your post are

Because we seem to be over the worst of Covid, business is improving :shrug:

Some CFO's think that now that Brexit has happened and they have been able to assess the impact (note impact, not benefits :dunce: ) it represents less of an unknown risk going forward than it has for the last 4 years.

Brexit has still had significant or severe disruption to their businesses but nothing about benefits :dunce:

And this is your 'Brexit positives' post, unbridled success then :facepalm:

I also see that now have been stacking shelves for a few weeks, you look down on anyone who is in the situation you have been for the last few years, namely unemployed.

Stay classy :thumbsup:

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Remember the project fear predictions of 100,000 plus Brexit job losses in the City if we vote to leave oft-repeated on this thread? ... well, as of March 2021 it's about 7600. Project fear overall estimated 500,000 Uk job losses yet a million jobs were added by the time Covid hit, with the employment rate for those aged between 16 to 64 rising from 74.5 per cent in June 2016 to 76.6 per cent in January 2020 – the highest level since 1971. In March 2016, the month before the Treasury released its analysis, the total number of jobs in the UK was 34.4 million – the same as it is now, having fallen in the pandemic from its high of 35.7 million ... yet the lies keep coming. If talking Britain down was an Olympic sport there would be numerous gold medalists in this thread ..

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Amusing that the 5th column collective are now resorting to finding doom and gloom stories from trusted news sources from Malaysia and the New European plus reporting old news that isn't accurate. :facepalm:

Meanwhile, Deloitte's quarterly CFO Survey which is 'firmly established with media and policy makers as the authoritative barometer of UK corporates’ sentiment and strategies' finds ..

Optimism among CFOs has risen to a record high. The successful rollout of vaccines in the UK, prospective re-opening of the economy and a gathering US recovery have all boosted sentiment.

CFOs anticipate a strong recovery in profits over the next twelve months. A brighter backdrop has tilted companies away from defensive strategies, such as cost control, while expectations for hiring and investment have reached their highest levels in nearly six years.

Brexit has dropped sharply as a source of risk to businesses from the top positions it has held on the CFO risk list since the EU referendum. Close to 10% of surveyed CFOs have experienced significant or severe disruption to their businesses due to Brexit. However, they believe interruptions will fade, with only 3% expecting similar levels of disruption in a year's time....

“Brexit has been a significant dampener on business activity in the last four years but with the UK’s final departure from the EU, such effects are fading. Combined with a successful vaccine rollout and a greatly improved global backdrop we are seeing a turbo-charged surge in business optimism."

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/finance/articles/deloitte-cfo-survey.html

Positivity and optimism amongst Chief Finance officers across the country whereas the gloomerati consisting of retired has-beens, radicalised misfits and the unemployed all who couldn't run a whelk stall, continue to chunter away on a football message board. :lolol:

whats more amazing is that as a UK taxpayer, which I assume you are, you pay for consultants like Deloitte to produce market analysis on Brexit impact and parrot their findings here. Of course, we must assume that deloitte would be impartial despite being awarded lucrative government contracts.

[tweet]1358717457767178240[/tweet]

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
whats more amazing is that as a UK taxpayer, which I assume you are, you pay for consultants like Deloitte to produce market analysis on Brexit impact and parrot their findings here. Of course, we must assume that deloitte would be impartial despite being awarded lucrative government contracts.

[tweet]1358717457767178240[/tweet]

It wasn't a taxpayer-funded survey it was Deloitte's (private company) quarterly CFO survey reflecting the views of people who knew what they were talking about unlike the radicalised numpties on this thread. Obviously, as it was positive and optimistic news there is no way you can accept it whereas if it said the UK is **** several of you would be all over it and retweeting it endlessly ...

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
It wasn't a taxpayer-funded survey it was Deloitte's (private company) quarterly CFO survey reflecting the views of people who knew what they were talking about unlike the radicalised numpties on this thread. Obviously, as it was positive and optimistic news there is no way you can accept it whereas if it said the UK is **** several of you would be all over it and retweeting it endlessly ...

Yes Deloitte would write a glowing report on Brexit and nothing at all to do with having lucrative government contracts, you may be happy the government uses your money to fund Brexit propaganda but I'd like to think let's fund our NHS instead....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Yes Deloitte would write a glowing report on Brexit and nothing at all to do with having lucrative government contracts, you may be happy the government uses your money to fund Brexit propaganda but I'd like to think let's fund our NHS instead....

Deloitte didn't write a glowing report on Brexit, they surveyed people who knew what they were talking about ... the contest for who's the thickest radicalised Brexit thread remainer has a new front runner in a hotly contested field ... bravo.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Remember the project fear predictions of 100,000 plus Brexit job losses in the City if we vote to leave oft-repeated on this thread? ... well, as of March 2021 it's about 7600. Project fear overall estimated 500,000 Uk job losses yet a million jobs were added by the time Covid hit, with the employment rate for those aged between 16 to 64 rising from 74.5 per cent in June 2016 to 76.6 per cent in January 2020 – the highest level since 1971. In March 2016, the month before the Treasury released its analysis, the total number of jobs in the UK was 34.4 million – the same as it is now, having fallen in the pandemic from its high of 35.7 million ... yet the lies keep coming. If talking Britain down was an Olympic sport there would be numerous gold medalists in this thread ..

Oft repeated by yourself :facepalm:

Well it's a completely new approach from your previous blaming of Technology, Remainers, the EU, Theresa May, Parliament etc etc for the complete clusterf*** that is now apparent, after only 3 months of partial Brexit and with plenty more to come.

Brexit is not quite as bad as things I made up when trying to justify my Project Fear stance.

It's different, and avoids new opportunities, taking back control and sun lit uplands completely. I'll give you that :lolol:

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Deloitte didn't write a glowing report on Brexit, they surveyed people who knew what they were talking about ... the contest for who's the thickest radicalised Brexit thread remainer has a new front runner in a hotly contested field ... bravo.

no you're right, I did say it had nothing to do with the lucrative contracts they have with the government :smile:

Funny how we like supposed bright financial forecasts now but when the Bank of England did so before brexit it was all project fear and Mark Carney was thrown to the wolves. Pretty sure he, more than anyone, would know what they were talking about

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

A few things stood out for me in the report.

The optimism question posed that has a returned a 13 year record high was, "are you more or less optimistic than 3 months ago". Predictably, all the peaks of optimism increasing have come after big falls, it is very misleading to say that optimism is at a 13 year high.

Similar for hiring expectations.

9% are experiencing significant or severe disruption, but only 3% believe they will be facing significant disruption in 12 months time, well if you cut my right hand off today, I am going to find life significantly or severely difficult to start with, but I would hope that after a year, I might have worked out some ways to cope better without a right hand, but I will be without my right hand, and still be experiencing some difficulty, and in the report, 72% of CFO's think they will still be facing some form of disruption due to Brexit in a years time. Of those that think Brexit won't be causing them any issues in a years time, I suspect there is a number that are expecting either improvements to the deal, or to have ceased operations involving EU trade, and some that have not considered some of the problems they may face, such as hiring, as they have not been trading as they were before due to the pandemic.

The reason Brexit has fallen down the pecking order of risks to business, apart from there being some clarity now on how crap a deal we got, is that covid, and problems in the US and the Global economy have become larger, and apart from Covid increasing problems, the other reason that problems in the US and the wider world are greater for UK busiuness, is because we need trade in those areas more than before, because of Brexit.

Also in the report, "CFOs’ assessment of the long-term impact of Brexit remains relatively unchanged. More than two-thirds think the overall environment for business will be worse in the long term due to the UK leaving the EU."

This was your good news story, but behind the headlines there is nothing more than things are looking a little better now than 3 months ago, you know, before we had vaccines making an impact.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

So you accept the finding and agree with the 2/3rds of surveyed CFO's, that think "the overall environment for business will be worse in the long term due to the UK leaving the EU."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Have you a actually read what you posted? That survey is akin to asking victims of a terrible accident whether they think they might walk again. All it shows is some have hope they will.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So you accept the finding and agree with the 2/3rds of surveyed CFO's, that think "the overall environment for business will be worse in the long term due to the UK leaving the EU."

He clearly hasn’t read what he posted.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
A few things stood out for me in the report.

The optimism question posed that has a returned a 13 year record high was, "are you more or less optimistic than 3 months ago". Predictably, all the peaks of optimism increasing have come after big falls, it is very misleading to say that optimism is at a 13 year high.

Similar for hiring expectations.

9% are experiencing significant or severe disruption, but only 3% believe they will be facing significant disruption in 12 months time, well if you cut my right hand off today, I am going to find life significantly or severely difficult to start with, but I would hope that after a year, I might have worked out some ways to cope better without a right hand, but I will be without my right hand, and still be experiencing some difficulty, and in the report, 72% of CFO's think they will still be facing some form of disruption due to Brexit in a years time. Of those that think Brexit won't be causing them any issues in a years time, I suspect there is a number that are expecting either improvements to the deal, or to have ceased operations involving EU trade, and some that have not considered some of the problems they may face, such as hiring, as they have not been trading as they were before due to the pandemic.

The reason Brexit has fallen down the pecking order of risks to business, apart from there being some clarity now on how crap a deal we got, is that covid, and problems in the US and the Global economy have become larger, and apart from Covid increasing problems, the other reason that problems in the US and the wider world are greater for UK busiuness, is because we need trade in those areas more than before, because of Brexit.

Also in the report, "CFOs’ assessment of the long-term impact of Brexit remains relatively unchanged. More than two-thirds think the overall environment for business will be worse in the long term due to the UK leaving the EU."

This was your good news story, but behind the headlines there is nothing more than things are looking a little better now than 3 months ago, you know, before we had vaccines making an impact.
If you don't mind, I will stick with the interpretation of the professional, independent organisation that actually produced the survey rather than some radicalised Europhile on a football forum. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
If you don't mind, I will stick with the interpretation of the professional, independent organisation that actually produced the survey rather than some radicalised Europhile on a football forum. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

which in a nutshell is damage limitation again.

So the people who merely hold the government / leave campaign to account on Brexit promises made, issues / problems which were identified and dismissed as project fear which became reality and all the things Brexiteers said / believed which were debunked and / or did not materialise makes you radicalised.....:lolol:

Sorry but if you're one of those who ignores the evidence of their eyes and ears and buys into the alternative reality, that is the definition of radicalised

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
which in a nutshell is damage limitation again.

So the people who merely hold the government / leave campaign to account on Brexit promises made, issues / problems which were identified and dismissed as project fear which became reality and all the things Brexiteers said / believed which were debunked and / or did not materialise makes you radicalised.....:lolol:

Sorry but if you're one of those who ignores the evidence of their eyes and ears and buys into the alternative reality, that is the definition of radicalised

There's a even simpler example of the radicalisation of JCFG.

He's an ardent Unionist who voted for a border in the Irish Sea and still has no idea why :shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here