Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Well, if he doesn't, I do.
I feel this thread ran its course some while ago. Its now a daily display of intransigence, arrogance, rudeness and immaturity. Its become a game to many on here. Trading insults on a level that does disrespect to the playground.
It cannot develop any further. This thread serves no purpose anymore. I agree, its boring and repetitive and the same culprits cannot free themselves from the shackles of resentment or gloating. Its clearly a devisive isssue and when reasonable debate goes out the window, it resorts back to the worst kind of antagonism and boorishness.
Is this thread gonna be allowed to drag on painfully ad infinitum or will commonsense prevail and it is put to sleep quietly, allowing individual topics, within the overall context of Brexit to be discussed on a more mature and sensible level.( Mods....please take note )
The same names crop up on here day after day after day, purporting to be leading authorities on the subject and shouting down anyone with a different viewpoint. The truth is, there is no authority on the subject because its never happened before. People read projections about the future and grab them and run with them because they back up their own feelings but ultimately, they are just projections. No one knows for sure because no one knows what actions and decisions will be taken in the future.The global market is ever changing and the skill is anticipating what changes are naturally taking place and being ready for them and differentiating between these and specific changes brought about by leaving the EU.
There is nothing to be gained from the " I told you so " attitude, revelling in the slightest negativity and the " Get used to it, you lost " attitude, from those who come on here suggesting its about winning and losing. Its pathetic and childish.
The real sadness is that its probably a reflection of society at large.

It's a shame really. Some of us have always tried to be civil. I guess we've got used to the name-calling by the usual suspects (many of whom seem to have disappeared) but the thing that depresses me is that some posters - nearly all Leavers it seems to me, although that might just be my perspective - refuse to engage in any debate. They just want to shout. They will claim something that appears to have no basis at all and when asked to elaborate will just drift out of sight for a week before coming back with more of the same. I try not to lose my patience with them but it's not surprising that some people do.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It's a shame really. Some of us have always tried to be civil. I guess we've got used to the name-calling by the usual suspects (many of whom seem to have disappeared) but the thing that depresses me is that some posters - nearly all Leavers it seems to me, although that might just be my perspective - refuse to engage in any debate. They just want to shout. They will claim something that appears to have no basis at all and when asked to elaborate will just drift out of sight for a week before coming back with more of the same. I try not to lose my patience with them but it's not surprising that some people do.

Whilst I sympathise, the explanation is probably pretty simple. The refusal, as you put it, to debate is quite obviously a differing of views. It's like saying to a Palace fan, let's have a debate as to who is better. There will never be an agreement. Asking for the minutiae and then picking it apart is totally pointless imho. You have your view, Leavers have another, and NEVER the twain shall meet.

With regards to the repeated questions 'what sort blah blah', well that is for our elected representatives to sort out. I voted to Leave the EU. That's the end of it, when I buy a Chiliburger and fries I don't then ask intrinsic detail. I leave that to the experts. I am sure you are great at your job, but sorting out the exit deal is most likely not one of them. Leave it to those who are paid to do so. The continued attempts at Stayers to try and rip apart Leavers' thoughts and wishes is extremely childish and quite patronising. I really don't feel the need to share such info. My opinion IS worth as much as yours or any other, and I know why I voted as I did.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I simply don’t get why leavers bother with the thread. If I’d been on the “winning side” I wouldn’t be on here calling everyone else whinging remoaners. I’d think “let the whinging moaners whinge away”.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Insecurity? Self-doubt?

Could be.
Brexit; I don’t like it. I don’t agree with it. But I accept its very likely gonna happen. This country has lost its crackers. Brexit, food banks, the working poor, Boris Johnson, taking Trump seriously, tax relief for the ultra-wealthy, rise of the far right, Farage and his lies. Why, given our current trend would anyone entertain for a second that it's going to get better anytime soon.
It’s over. The idiots won. It’s theirs for the taking.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Could be.
Brexit; I don’t like it. I don’t agree with it. But I accept its very likely gonna happen. This country has lost its crackers. Brexit, food banks, the working poor, Boris Johnson, taking Trump seriously, tax relief for the ultra-wealthy, rise of the far right. Why, given our current trend would anyone entertain for a second that it's going to get better anytime soon.

There's always Bercow

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I voted to Leave the EU. That's the end of it, when I buy a Chiliburger and fries I don't then ask intrinsic detail. I leave that to the experts.

All the experts told you leaving the EU would be a ****ing monumentally stupid thing to do...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I simply don’t get why leavers bother with the thread. If I’d been on the “winning side” I wouldn’t be on here calling everyone else whinging remoaners. I’d think “let the whinging moaners whinge away”.

Isn't that what [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] is complaining about ..... leavers no longer contributing so the thread becoming a remainers echo chamber ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Could be.
Brexit; I don’t like it. I don’t agree with it. But I accept its very likely gonna happen. This country has lost its crackers. Brexit, food banks, the working poor, Boris Johnson, taking Trump seriously, tax relief for the ultra-wealthy, rise of the far right, Farage and his lies. Why, given our current trend would anyone entertain for a second that it's going to get better anytime soon.

This country is positively moribund. Putting aside the domestic issues that aren't getting addressed, Brexit is an existential one. The break up of The UK, our international standing reduced to pariah from embarrassment and the fantasy of 'no deal' cheered on without any plan, substance or understanding of how it'll work and the fact any 'agreement' with London in the future wont be worth the paper its written on due to our reputation. It'll be a very chastening experience.

Never mind though - we're getting blue passports and going back to how things used to be in the good old days because the modern world is just political correctness gone mad, full of virtue signaling by Guardian reading, social justice warriors. Just have some blind faith in clueless politicians because they're in The Conservative Party, throw in a bit of inherent English arrogance and casual xenophobia that's just under the surface in many an English psyche, remind the Johnny Foreigners in Brussels that they need us more than we need them, because we're better than them, remind the pesky Irish in Dublin as well that they should really know their place and start to 'believe in Britain' and we'll be just fine - particularly if you're a middle class 'I'm alright Jack' from southern England. So much for German efficiency, but I'm sure those German car manufacturers will finally be along before Halloween demanding a deal from Frau Merkel or Frau Kramp-Karrenbauer - we hold all the aces don't forget and once Johnson is in Downing Street they'll know we really mean business and our standing as a country and the respect afforded to us will be restored.

_88391199_bojoonazipwire.jpg

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
This country is positively moribund. Putting aside the domestic issues that aren't getting addressed, Brexit is an existential one. The break up of The UK, our international standing reduced to pariah from embarrassment and the fantasy of 'no deal' cheered on without any plan, substance or understanding of how it'll work and the fact any 'agreement' with London in the future wont be worth the paper its written on due to our reputation. It'll be a very chastening experience.

Never mind though - we're getting blue passports and going back to how things used to be in the good old days because the modern world is just political correctness gone mad, full of virtue signaling by Guardian reading, social justice warriors. Just have some blind faith in clueless politicians because they're in The Conservative Party, throw in a bit of inherent English arrogance and casual xenophobia that's just under the surface in many an English psyche, remind the Johnny Foreigners in Brussels that they need us more than we need them, because we're better than them, remind the pesky Irish in Dublin as well that they should really know their place and start to 'believe in Britain' and we'll be just fine - particularly if you're a middle class 'I'm alright Jack' from southern England. So much for German efficiency, but I'm sure those German car manufacturers will finally be along before Halloween demanding a deal from Frau Merkel or Frau Kramp-Karrenbauer - we hold all the aces don't forget and once Johnson is in Downing Street they'll know we really mean business and our standing as a country and the respect afforded to us will be restored.

View attachment 111622

Great post... I can't understand why neither our friends in Europe nor the vast majority of much maligned 'experts' in our country do not accept that we have a winning hand and can pretty much do what we like....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tom Watson's "Our members are Remain" is a high risk strategy. Would maybe have sounded more convincing coming from his mousey party leader. Nobody yet has a clue what HIS stance is. Bizarre.

Jan 30, 2008
Great post... I can't understand why neither our friends in Europe nor the vast majority of much maligned 'experts' in our country do not accept that we have a winning hand and can pretty much do what we like....

After all your bravado isn't it time you came to your senses and admit we're leaving the EU or are you another undemocratic Denialist like Watfrod bloke , plooks , Mr custard face and poor old H
regards
DR

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
With regards to the repeated questions 'what sort blah blah', well that is for our elected representatives to sort out. I voted to Leave the EU. That's the end of it, when I buy a Chiliburger and fries I don't then ask intrinsic detail. I leave that to the experts. I am sure you are great at your job, but sorting out the exit deal is most likely not one of them. Leave it to those who are paid to do so. The continued attempts at Stayers to try and rip apart Leavers' thoughts and wishes is extremely childish and quite patronising. I really don't feel the need to share such info. My opinion IS worth as much as yours or any other, and I know why I voted as I did.

Unfortunately you didn't buy a Chiliburger and Fries, you bought a package meal. Now, as you have made very clear, you don't care what the meal is, but unfortunately all the vegans, vegetarians, pescatarians, meat eaters, who also agreed to buy a meal are arguing with all the people with intolerances to peanuts, soy, corn, garlic, milk etc etc who also agreed to buy a meal in order to agree which meal would suit everyone.

They asked the staff at the restaurant what to do, as they are experts in meals, but apparently without any guidance, they are equally divided over what to do.

It's a bit of a pickle isn't it ? (Is pickle an intolerance ?) I don't know what the solution is, but my guess is that it will be

Leave with a deal and customs union
Leave with 'no deal', a border in NI and WTO rules
Don't Leave

I just don't know how we could possibly know which is the right one. Between you and me, I just wish they would bloody well get on with it, decide on one and do it :wink:

But looking on the bright side, seeing Sovereign Democracy in action makes you proud to be British :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
All the experts told you leaving the EU would be a ****ing monumentally stupid thing to do...

All the experts said we would go into recession and an emergency budget would be needed the bank of England forecasted the pound to dive , give it a rest pleeeeeeeeeeeeease
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Unfortunately you didn't buy a Chiliburger and Fries, you bought a package meal. Now, as you have made very clear, you don't care what the meal is, but unfortunately all the vegans, vegetarians, pescatarians, meat eaters, who also agreed to buy a meal are arguing with all the people with intolerances to peanuts, soy, corn, garlic, milk etc etc who also agreed to buy a meal in order to agree which meal would suit everyone.

They asked the staff at the restaurant what to do, as they are experts in meals, but they are equally divided over what to do.

It's a bit of a pickle isn't it ? (Is pickle an intolerance ?) I don't know what the solution is,

But my guess is that it will be

Leave with a deal and customs union
Leave with 'no deal', a border in NI and WTO rules
Don't Leave

I just don't know how we could possibly know which is the right one. Between you and me, I just wish they would bloody well get on with it, decide on one and do it :wink:

Where does Norway come into the equation :dunce:
regards
DR

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here