Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
.... presumably without any logical reason to do so.....just furious frustration!

What is done is done. Damage limitation should be the aspiration now. An exit deal as soon as possible, or if not a no deal exit, before the peasants start to revolt, and revolt they will if pushed far enough.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Its interesting to see people now demanding leave, with no deal.... because they are a bit 'fed up' with the process. Ok, lets leave with catastrophic consequences, to stop you feeling a bit ... 'fed up'

The ironic thing is people demanding No Deal because "it gets it over with" are really demonstrating they don't understand what they are letting themselves in for, as No Deal means YEARS of further talks and issues. You want an FTA? That took Canada the best part of a decade, and was nothing like as complex as a UK one would be. You even want to start those talks? Irish backstop and £39bn please. You want to blow Europe off and rush off into the Americans arms? Great, Congress aren't passing a trade deal until that Irish border is resolved as the GFA was ratified over that side of the pond too.

So how long does "No Deal" last? A week? A month? Forever? If the former two, what does an eventual deal look like, and how do you propose avoiding having to pass the Withdrawal Agreement to get it? If the last one, who do we turn to when shunned by Europe and America? The Russians? The Chinese?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The ironic thing is people demanding No Deal because "it gets it over with" are really demonstrating they don't understand what they are letting themselves in for, as No Deal means YEARS of further talks and issues. You want an FTA? That took Canada the best part of a decade, and was nothing like as complex as a UK one would be. You even want to start those talks? Irish backstop and £39bn please. You want to blow Europe off and rush off into the Americans arms? Great, Congress aren't passing a trade deal until that Irish border is resolved as the GFA was ratified over that side of the pond too.

So how long does "No Deal" last? A week? A month? Forever? If the former two, what does an eventual deal look like, and how do you propose avoiding having to pass the Withdrawal Agreement to get it? If the last one, who do we turn to when shunned by Europe and America? The Russians? The Chinese?
You forget - The British people have had enough of EXPORTS.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What is done is done. Damage limitation should be the aspiration now. An exit deal as soon as possible, or if not a no deal exit, before the peasants start to revolt, and revolt they will if pushed far enough.

Now I know you are on a wind up. Congratulations though, you kept it going for a long time :clap:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Frustration and fury then....
but an exit deal (particularly a No-Deal) may not prevent a backlash... or do you think it is only Leave voters who feel strongly and will wish to punish the architects of this impending disaster?

Frankly I doubt if you were ever a staunch remainer, but it is a good ploy to use in an argument. Pity you have no evidence that would back up that claim.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
.... an exit deal may not prevent a backlash... or do you think it is only Leave voters who feel strongly and will wish to punish the architects of the impending disaster?

Remain voters are, both in my opinion and of others, a slightly more balanced bunch who are capable of realising that the current situation is unsustainable. They perhaps think things through rather than accept reactionary sound bites. The UK needs to move on, as things stand it cannot do that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Remain voters are, both in my opinion and of others, a slightly more balanced bunch who are capable of realising that the current situation is unsustainable. They perhaps think things through rather than accept reactionary sound bites. The UK needs to move on, as things stand it cannot do that.

You say that you want this done and dusted and then suggest the option ('no deal') that will ensure that this complete clsuterf*** rolls on for years and possibly decades ?

Did you read this post ?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You say that you want this done and dusted and then suggest the option ('no deal') that will ensure that this complete clsuterf*** rolls on for years and possibly decades ?

Did you read this post ?

Get your head round this, I was a firm remainer.

Brexit can be nigh on instant, on WTO terms, job done. Uncertainty ended.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

What you were, are and are going to be is completely irrelevant.

What you are saying is incorrect in it's entirety and simply shows that you have no understanding of any aspect of what a 'no deal' Brexit means whatsoever. I'm out of here as there is only so much f***wittery one man can take :wave:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

What you are saying is incorrect in it's entirety and simply shows that you have no understanding of any aspect of what a 'no deal' Brexit means whatsoever. I'm out of here as there is only so much f***wittery one man can take :wave:

You really are a bit too clever for you own good.

WTO terms are the go to arrangement when trade deals have not been reached. So if it takes 5 years to do a deal with country A, or six months to agree an arrangement with trading block B, it actually changes nothing. Until the UK does a deal with a trading partner they work under WTO rules. Which part of that is too difficult for you to understand?

Oh, and by the way. In answer to your first point......African or Indian?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

So you are advocating penalising 'balance' and good sense in favour of the self righteous anger of the Leave contingent.
There are several ways of moving on and it has to be done in a sensible rather than shouty way - and with due regard to healing deep wounds this mess has caused.
I believe anything other than consensus will result in a backlash; the difference is the threats from the Leave side are more menacing; the Remain supporters will punish the snake oil salesmen and posh boys pushing the Leave agenda in a more legitimate and focused way.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You really are a bit too clever for you own good.

WTO terms are the go to arrangement when trade deals have not been reached. So if it takes 5 years to do a deal with country A, or six months to agree an arrangement with trading block B, it actually changes nothing. Until the UK does a deal with a trading partner they work under WTO rules. Which part of that is too difficult for you to understand?

Oh, and by the way. In answer to your first point......African or Indian?

Its basically going from the Premier League to the Conference overnight, it will take a long time to work our way up again. We will soon discover the EU got there first.

Then there's the US, large surplus right now under EU agreements. The junior partner will be desperate and get screwed.

Might get some tariff free Mangoes from Australia though, which would be nice...

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Sorry guys with all the name calling and pack hunting on this thread I will leave it to you to keep the scaremongering going.

The Brexit party obviously scared the pants off you with the strength of feeling about still wanting to LEAVE the EU.

Yes there will be some choppy water, but our boat is a strong one and can take all that's thrown at it.....................unless Corbyn gets in then we really are screwed and it will probably take 20 years of austerity from the tories to sort out his mess.

More bellendery, you multiquoted different posters then claim we are hunting in a pack when you get multiple responses to your multi quote, I wonder how this country will cope after Brexit, when half the population is always looking to be the victim.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
More #projectfear by the #remoaners at The FT on a no deal Brexit at the end of October - https://www.ft.com/content/a678db62-8ce9-11e9-a24d-b42f641eca37

We'll be just fine, WTO terms, go back to how things used to be in the good old days what,what - Boris Johnson said so and he went to Eton College so he must be right.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Can one of the sensible posters on here please explain how Boris intends to take us out of the EU with or without a no deal, when the exit requires a legal document to have been passed by Parliament and Parliament have said time and time again that they will never pass one that has “no deal” on it!

I was listening to something on the radio , liz truss I think it was and she was hinting that he could push through the exit without parliamentary approval I.e not calling parliament and when we are out, based on this, he would then be in a position where to cancel the withdrawal, we would in effect have to renegotiate be let back in...so a fait accompli in effect!

Seems like he is playing a dangerous game if he thinks the prime minister can override the will of parliament and that in effect would lead us down to the path of dictatorship.

He doesn't intend to take us out with no deal, I think only McVey is aiming to do no deal. Those claiming they are prepared to leave without a deal, don't really mean it though, there are probably some that just want the EU to believe they would so that the EU will give ground. The EU will not give ground for two reasons, Firstly, they don't believe that we would leave without a deal, and in any case, there is strong evidence that Parliament would not allow it, Secondly, the EU negotiating team has packed up, the last EU Parliament is over, the new one has to arrange itself in groups, the next President needs to be elected, the commission needs to be chosen and the new EU Commission does not begin until November, after our supposed exit date, so it's going to be bloody hard to find anyone to negotiate with.

They are pretty much all deluded, or deluding their colleagues, if they are saying they can get something significantly different than what is on offer, whoever gets the job is going to have to go to the EU and ask for a long extension whilst we have a general election or second referendum, or persuade their colleagues to pass Mays withdrawal agreement, with perhaps a few tweaks to the Political Declaration if they can find anyone in the EU to talk to and agree to put it to the other 27.

Jan 30, 2008

What you meant to say was yes you're right but i can't bring myself around to accepting it so I'm going to flounce off, LEAVE MEANS LEAVE :wave:
regards
DR

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Brexit would be done, but it would not be the end of negotiations with the EU, and everything that was in the Withdrawal agreement will be on the table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here