Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's not just 'One -eyed Brexiteers', anyone with an iota of intelligence can see that this is exactly what is going on. The vast majority of the political establishment are in favour of overturning/ignoring/sabotaging Brexit by any means - and I mean any. I'm sure there are even a few one-eyed remainers who can see this too; it just doesn't suit their agenda to admit it.
They will provide conclusive evidence of this by vehemently denying it.

I personally, certainly wouldn't even try to deny that. I wouldn't put quite the same slant on it, of course.

I'm very happy to see Brexit delayed, and delayed until such time as good resolutions can be found, to the benefit of the nation.

If finding a good deal takes a long time, so be it. Why rush into a bad situation, just to 'get it done'. What is the benefit of that?

If finding a good deal takes so very long that it is clear that the electorate wish to change their minds in the meantime, all the better.

IMO of course.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I wish more Tory MP had the gonads to resign over this. The people running the Brexit negotiations are making an absolute mess of it, predictably. Whenever they don't get their own way, they rant over Twitter about how the EU is holding us to ransom or shamefully playing the Irish border or some other crock of shit. Absolutely clueless. :nono:

Quite frankly,if he had any gonads he would resign as an MP,and re-fight as an independent.Not going to happen though,is it?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
He is correct, the Brexit fanatic just wants it done ASAP, however badly, so that we can't change our minds. It is an utter waste of time to try and find a transition position that tries to replicate membership whilst not being a member, and negotiating an extension to the timetable whilst remaining full members would be far simpler and should keep the option of revoking A50 open, if the Will of The People was to do so.

One-eyed Brexiteers like him always think that anyone looking to postpone Brexit are actually looking to postpone it indefinitely.

I can understand that - this process should clearly take us way beyond 2019 if it is to be done properly. The issue for them is that by the time we've negotiated the terms properly, most of the country will be of the opinion it was a stupid idea in the first place and thus want to remain.

What a total mess we're leaving for our children. No more rights of movement to Europe that we took for granted, and an economy that will constantly eroded owing to trade tariffs that previously weren't there. :nono:

It is not one eyed or fanatical to want this concluded. It is true Brexiters want this withdrawal finalised and then a finalised and concluded trade arrangement with the EU, but surely everyone who wishes the country well wants the trade arrangements concluded. There is after all a clearly defined timeline (subject to a non binding extension for both parties) for withdrawal.
Your own stance of keeping us as members of The EU for an extended timeline is the narrow minded and blinkered standpoint. You completely disregard the fact that this standpoint of membership instead of an implementation period would mean trade arrangements cannot be finalised.
You are in effect seeking a permanent state of limbo on trade with the EU.
One does have to question therefore your motives for not wanting trade arrangements concluded, since most of you are not forthcoming why you believe trade arrangements should be put on hold then the only conclusion is you are trying to wreck the whole process by any means possible.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Seriously, do you actually think for even one nano-second before you post? All you ever do is post total and utter drivel, lies to bolster your standing and nonsense driven by your pathological need to reply to each and every post. Please, if you are capable, just stop and think. Something worth considering is that you do not have to reply to everything; less can be more and in your case it will be.

Think about it, and start by not replying to this.

Not replying is both rude and an admission that you are right.Perhaps you might be happier if you didn't just jump into conversations that didn't mention or involve you.Then you might to revert to the pleasant,polite,informed poster you used to be.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Seem the Tory rebels will keep some powder dry for next month, limit government defeats, keep May in a job, then hit her on the customs bill. It will be July with no time for a leadership contest before October.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
[tweet]1006505416061222912[/tweet]

And the speaker followed by immediate backing by Andrea Leadsom were very clear,if there is any evidence of the sort of illegal intimidation Soubry is suggesting then there is a duty to report it to the authorities.
I wonder if Soubry will follow up on her claims.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
****ing hell the front page of the Daily Express is basically a call to arms.
Capture.JPG

The Murdoch Gazette is even more cringeworthy, it really is aimed at the dimmest sector of the population

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I personally, certainly wouldn't even try to deny that. I wouldn't put quite the same slant on it, of course.

I'm very happy to see Brexit delayed, and delayed until such time as good resolutions can be found, to the benefit of the nation.

If finding a good deal takes a long time, so be it. Why rush into a bad situation, just to 'get it done'. What is the benefit of that?

If finding a good deal takes so very long that it is clear that the electorate wish to change their minds in the meantime, all the better.

IMO of course.

Saved me the bother

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
And the speaker followed by immediate backing by Andrea Leadsom were very clear,if there is any evidence of the sort of illegal intimidation Soubry is suggesting then there is a duty to report it to the authorities.

You don't think it is happening? You don't think a member of a far right party has just plead guilty to plotting to murder an MP? And you don't think the murder of Jo Cox happened at all? No?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
It is 11 days until the 2 year anniversary of us voting to leave the EU.

We have now run out of time to implement any 'no deal' option for 29th March 2019.

We don't have any guaranteed extensions to membership beyond 29th March 2019.

We don't have an agreed starting position to enter into negotiations with the EU on Borders and Trade.

How do you think we should celebrate the 2nd birthday :smile:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You don't think it is happening? You don't think a member of a far right party has just plead guilty to plotting to murder an MP? And you don't think the murder of Jo Cox happened at all? No?

Dont be a cock, i havnt denied those last two things.
Soubry made a claim about today,about the here and now,the present,happening today,regarding,according to her toward at least one member, not past instances.
The speaker and the leader of the House, immediately said if there is evidence of such illegal intimidation going on right now she must report it to the relevant authorities and will have the full backing of the chair and the house.

I have no idea if what Soubry is claiming is going on right now against a member is true,you seem to think it is already, perhaps she has shared her evidence with you already.......i suspect not
Lets see if she follows up on her claim.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Todays news will disappoint the wreckers who were relying on it

‘Hopeless’: UK High Court dismisses crowdfunded challenge to legality of Brexit

Campaigners have failed in their battle to bring a court challenge over the legality of Article 50.

Lord Justice Gross, hearing the arguments, refused to let the challenge proceed calling it “hopeless” and “totally without merit”. He said that parliament had given effect to the decision of the UK to leave the EU and this had been reinforced by the government’s notification of Article 50 on March 29 2017. “The debate belongs firmly in the political arena and not in the court,” Lord Gross said.

https://www.ft.com/content/7b04bc56-6e38-11e8-852d-d8b934ff5ffa

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
There are 3 types of Leaver, unfortunately the swear filter wont allow me to show the categories.
From your first link "Worried Remainers deserve to have their fears taken seriously and the effort to reassure them by well-based arguments is an urgent political need." I have an explanation for why the well based arguments are not forthcoming, they don't exist.

No swearing needed ... people that value self-determination, Democrats and the disenfranchised. As an ideological Remainer you would say that, fortunately most on the remain side aren't Europhile Federalists which is why many believe the democratic will of the majority should be enacted.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

The claims Anna Soubry was referring to are about an unnamed male MP and were first made by Rachel Sylvester in The Times today and it's down to the individual involved to report them such as Soubry did when she previously received threats.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here