Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There are some gullible people around but at least even they weren't stupid enough to believe Nige and Boris :lolol:

(Or continue to believe them when the Emporer's new clothes are there for all to see).
Oh lor' - did you really go all through childhood (and your adult life) without getting the point?

The emperor's clothes never were there for all to see! - Geez! Still, that explains why you can't see why most people (as defined in the referendum; those who didn't vote don't count) can see through the EU's new (or actually rather old and shabby) clothes and realise that Brussels, Juncker (Sp), Barnier, Merkel, et al are a load of sh*t that we're best well away from

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
1.You are not a remain supporter and don't join in with the gang?
2.Well done you.
3.Are you sure?
4.If you can find a shred of evidence that the Russian government supports Brexit,I will be utterly astonished.Evidence,not the ramblings of some demented loser in the Grauniad,stand-up-in-court evidence.

1. I am a remain supporter and I generally agree with other remain supporters but I haven't actually belonged to a gang since St Lawrence CofE Primary.
2. Thank you.
3. I am.
4. Plenty of shreds although I am not a lawyer and couldn't predict the outcome of a court case involving Putin. I doubt if he'd leave his government's fingerprints on the door handles but if you'd like to think that Moscow has always been neutral in its hopes for Brexit then I can't stop you. Solitude has its virtues I suppose.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Oh lor' - did you really go all through childhood (and your adult life) without getting the point?

The emperor's clothes never were there for all to see! - Geez! Still, that explains why you can't see why most people (as defined in the referendum; those who didn't vote don't count) can see through the EU's new (or actually rather old and shabby) clothes and realise that Brussels, Juncker (Sp), Barnier, Merkel, et al are a load of sh*t that we're best well away from

:facepalm::lolol::lolol::lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

(Sort of) poll...........

[ ] It is nice to see a remoaner laughing! - as they 'know', Britain is going to hell in a handcart, so they've got f*ck all to laugh at most of the time......

or

[ ] Remoaner still doesn't get it (although being a superior being, probably doesn't realise that).

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

:rotlf::facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I appreciate this isn’t a direct Brexit issue but it’s certainly indicative of the current U.K. climate but I was told a story by a Australian friend and her treatment by U.K. border officials at the weekend. In short she’s a highly qualified middle aged professional female and was handled in, what can only be described as a incredibly aggressive, suspicious and also incredibly dumb manner by two male border goons. She said she didn’t mind being asked questions but why the attitude, and why the ****ing dumb questions?

Embarrassing. Shabby.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Russian government annexed Crimea illegally and somebody here is struggling to understand why the Russians might actively seek to weaken the EU through Brexit.

D

Deleted member 22389

I appreciate this isn’t a direct Brexit issue but it’s certainly indicative of the current U.K. climate but I was told a story by a Australian friend and her treatment by U.K. border officials at the weekend. In short she’s a highly qualified middle aged professional female and was handled in, what can only be described as a incredibly aggressive, suspicious and also incredibly dumb manner by two male border goons. She said she didn’t mind being asked questions but why the attitude, and why the ****ing dumb questions?

Embarrassing. Shabby.

When I arrived at St Malo to get the ferry back a few years ago, the border official got me to completely empty my boot. A right ********, thing is my wife speaks French, he wasn't expecting that.
This attitude happens all over not just in the UK. Depends who you get doesn't it, and if they are having a bad day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When I arrived at St Malo to get the ferry back a few years ago, the border official got me to completely empty my boot. A right ********, thing is my wife speaks French, he wasn't expecting that.
This attitude happens all over not just in the UK. Depends who you get doesn't it, and if they are having a bad day.

Asking you to empty your boot is a bit different to the aggressive and intimidating approach my friend described.

Regardless of this, these idiots should show a bit more respect.

D

Deleted member 22389

Asking you to empty your boot is a bit different to the aggressive and intimidating approach my friend described.

Regardless of this, these idiots should show a bit more respect.

It's no different. The bloke was intimidating, and it was very easy not to lose your temper, but at the end of the day they are only doing their job. Better to check people than not. There hasn't been enough checking over the years.
Not like Newhaven where we got off as foot passengers, someone turned up with a brief case, checked our passports and cleared off without even checking the luggage.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's no different. The bloke was intimidating, and it was very easy not to lose your temper, but at the end of the day they are only doing their job.

I disagree. What I was told amounted to bullying and intimidation by two men of a single/solo travelling girl. Call me old fashioned but I prefer people, especially what in effect amount to ambassadors for the U.K., to conduct themselves with professionalism and a bit of courtesy.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Another day

The UK's trade deficit widened in April, according to the latest figures from the Office for National Statistics. The deficit in goods and services widened to £5.28bn from £3.22bn in March. The goods trade deficit widened to £14.04bn in April - the biggest such deficit since September 2016.

Industrial output in Apiril fell by 0.8%, Manufacturing output contracted by 1.4%

It's been a grim few days for the UK's High Streets, with House of Fraser announcing the closure of 31 stores last week, and discount retailer Poundworld now set to enter administration. High Streets saw footfall rise 0.6% last month. Rolls Royce due to announce 4K job cuts.

The pound has fallen sharply against other currencies following the latest wave of economic data.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Another day indeed.

I usually steer clear of economic comments but I was sad to see the signs this morning that we are about to lose our current number one position for inward investment. Global companies come here because we are an English-speaking gateway into the huge markets of Europe. In future we will a cul-de-sac. No wonder they are turning their attention elsewhere.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Embarrassing. Shabby.

This comes from Mrs May's hostile environment policy which she shows no sign of changing despite the change in Home Secretary. She even continually quotes this is what the British people want. It is therefore not unsurprising that we get these types of idiots at immigration points, as they believe they are doing a good job by adopting this approach.

Racist Britain 2018

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ob-rees-mogg-hosts-lbc-phone-in-politics-live

Labour’s deputy leader Tom Watson has an intriguing hunch about why the government was originally so keen to push the EU withdrawal bill through the Commons in a single day (a backlash later forced it to offer two). Could it have been clearing the decks for a critical report from the Electoral Commission about the role of some of Theresa May’s senior aides in the Vote Leave campaign?

Evidence from whistleblowers Chris Wylie and Sahmir Sanni appeared to suggest coordination between Vote Leave, the officially designated Brexit campaign, and the nominally separate BeLeave group. If the commission finds that Vote Leave was effectively directing the group of young Brexit campaigners, it could be a breach of election funding rules. The commission is believed to be examining the roles of May’s political secretary Stephen Parkinson, and Cleo Watson, another Number 10 adviser, both of whom held senior posts in Vote Leave - which was chaired by Michael Gove.

Those involved in Vote Leave have always strongly denied wrongdoing, insisting that Vote Leave and BeLeave were separate and that they acted in accordance with the rules.

The government has now confirmed to Labour MP Bridget Phillipson in a parliamentary question that those criticised in its ongoing investigation have been given 28 days’ warning of its findings. Rumours at Westminster suggest the report could be scheduled for publication on Wednesday - though the commission has not yet confirmed a date.

Watson said:

''Each day the plot thickens about the murky dealings of the various Brexit campaigns. Now it seems senior figures at the heart of Number 10 who were involved in Vote Leave could have been informed about the contents of this important Electoral Commission investigation long before anyone else. If that’s true, Number 10 would have had time to plan and even ensure key Brexit votes like the ones this week could happen before the investigation findings are published. You’ve got to question whether that’s appropriate and whether those people under investigation should really still be shaping and taking decisions at the heart of government.''

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
[tweet]1006118230476427264[/tweet]

And this is the man holding the PM to ransom. If he doesn't know what he's talking about why is he paralysing the government?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
[tweet]1006118230476427264[/tweet]

And this is the man holding the PM to ransom. If he doesn't know what he's talking about why is he paralysing the government?

I think he knows all his suggestions are nonsensical, he is not a total idiot, but he seems to think that the people in the EU are, and that if he makes it appear that they had better do a good deal with May or the Brexit loons like him will oust her and leave without paying dues or making arrangements for future relationship, they will cave in. The problem is that the EU don't believe it, and know that if that were to happen we would quite quickly be crawling back to the negotiating table, negotiating from an even weaker position.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
I think he knows all his suggestions are nonsensical, he is not a total idiot, but he seems to think that the people in the EU are, and that if he makes it appear that they had better do a good deal with May or the Brexit loons like him will oust her and leave without paying dues or making arrangements for future relationship, they will cave in. The problem is that the EU don't believe it, and know that if that were to happen we would quite quickly be crawling back to the negotiating table, negotiating from an even weaker position.

It is merely Floccinaucinihilipilification

D

Deleted member 22389

This comes from Mrs May's hostile environment policy which she shows no sign of changing despite the change in Home Secretary. She even continually quotes this is what the British people want. It is therefore not unsurprising that we get these types of idiots at immigration points, as they believe they are doing a good job by adopting this approach.

Racist Britain 2018

Well if this is racist Britain, what is Italy turning boats away, and Hungary for building a fence, and all the other countries in the EU worried about immigration.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The Russian government annexed Crimea illegally and somebody here is struggling to understand why the Russians might actively seek to weaken the EU through Brexit.

Oh,sorry,didn't realise Crimea had been in the EU for the last hundred years or so.Always thought it was in Russia.Does that mean the 'Charge of the Light Brigade' was during a war we fought against the EU?:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:
As you seem to have nominated yourself as today's know-it-all,what is an Emporer?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here